Cordless Drill Batteries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all,

Could someone tell me what sort of life cordless batteries have?

I bought an Atlas Copco 14v cordless drill (I think thats what its called) about 2 years ago.
I don't use it that much but the batteries seem to last less and less compared to when they were new.

I'm assuming they will eventually get to the stage where I need to buy new ones. Would this be normal?

Cheers

are the batteries ni-cad or lithium-ion ??

as a general rule of thumb, ni-cads tend to accumilate "memory" and thus start to supply less "useable charge" to the user. (you know..... if you use them but don`t dis-charge them completely before charging again).

lithium-ion batteries were origonally developed for uses such as laptops and mobile phones, but are now becoming ever increasingly used instead of ni-cads. They don`t develope "memory" and generally last longer in-terms of charge retension than ni-cads. (I don`t think that they can supply the sample current capacity though???? i.e. per unit weight, but I`m not sure).

anyhow for a pro workshop (being used every day), and being treated well (not being thrown about, generally looked after) 2 years is quite good life-time and you should probably look at getting some replacements. (I know for a fact that site-work means considerably less life-time!!!!!).

symptoms for a bad battery would include:
1) not holding charge properly (i.e. go flat very quickly)
2) excessive heat generated (by-product of electro-chemical reaction that supplies the current)
3) loss of power in the drill i.e. less torque
4) shortened charging times

a little tip is not to leave batteries charged if they aren`t going to be used for a while (i.e. more than a week). I have been told that this can effect the charge storage of a battery.

If the batteries in your case are ni-cads, try discharing them COMPLETELY i.e. running down completely flat, you may need to get a car-bulb and connect it across the terminal of the battery to do this to ensure that it is COMPLETELY flat (check it with a multi meter). Then charge it (on slow charge if available) and repeat a few times.
charge-discharge-charge-discharge being careful to completely discharge the battery.
SOMETIMES this can unlock the charge "memory" of the battery (an old cam-corder trick)

hope this helps!!
8)

I guess that batteries, like everything else wear out eventually, and have to be replaced.

I do know that these type of batteries like to be continually drained and recharged, to get the best out of them.

I left a screwdriver for 3 months last year, and when i came to use it, the battery was dead as a dodo, and would not recharge itself.
( i talked my daughter into a new one for xmas)

cheers

Stevenprigg, Jabby

I dont know which ones I've got. I do know that they take about 30-45 mins to charge. I didnt think they were the ones that you have to run down first. I'll check all this, refer back to these replies,and hopefully will be more the wiser.

Many thanks

Back