Cordless brad nailer...which one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a look at the VonHaus brad nailer/stapler from Domu Products - I've using one for a while - currently stapling a lot battens to some fencing, excellent job. [Buy direct from Domu, cheaper than Amazon]

Then that's probably the one to get. DeWalt do a perfectly decent brad nailer by all accounts, and even if another brand has a better one, I'd be very surprised if the difference is enough to warrant buying new batteries and chargers.

The only time I can think of when I'd suggest changing battery systems is if the one you've already got doesn't have the tool you need in it, or if you're replacing multiple tools at once, when the battery cost won't be such a high proportion of your spending.

I really like my Ryobi 18G one. Hasn't missed a beat so far

I didn't have any of their batteries, but got a good price on a hedge trimmer (which I wanted anyway) with a 2ah, with a 4ah free from Ryobi. Not sure that the offer is still running.

The DeWalt 1st and 2nd fix nailers are good so I'd hope their brad nailer is too. I got the 18g Ryobi as, at the time, the DeWalt one didn't yet exist and it's been great.

On the different battery platform thing, I've only recently happened across adaptors (Google "Badaptor") which come in various flavours and let you stick batteries from one platform into another e.g. Makita LXT into Ryobi, DeWalt into Makita etc. Great for those odd tools that don't exist on whatever platform you mainly run.

Has anyone compared one against an air nailer? Have the electric ones caught up or is a compressor system still better?

Nelsun":1jfv4ywo said:
On the different battery platform thing, I've only recently happened across adaptors (Google "Badaptor") which come in various flavours and let you stick batteries from one platform into another e.g. Makita LXT into Ryobi, DeWalt into Makita etc. Great for those odd tools that don't exist on whatever platform you mainly run.

Thank you for this, I am on Makita platform and need an 18g nailer. Always thought Makita nailers too expensive, heard good things about the Ryobi but once I got the full kit I might as well have bought the bare Makita. Think you have just given me the best option of using my Makita batteries on the Ryobi nailer =D>

Doug71":2i5whh7s said:
Nelsun":2i5whh7s said:

Thank you for this, I am on Makita platform and need an 18g nailer. Always thought Makita nailers too expensive, heard good things about the Ryobi but once I got the full kit I might as well have bought the bare Makita. Think you have just given me the best option of using my Makita batteries on the Ryobi nailer =D>

Same here, that is great news so a purchase is imminent !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doug71":3f7l94og said:

I'm more than happy to have actually helped someone for once :D I've avoided the higher guage Makita nailers for much the same reasons - their 23g pin nailer and stapler are pretty good though. The Ryobi 18g gets good reviews so that swung it for me and the Badaptor was the icing on the cake as the Ryobi charger was "slow". They do a good 18v glue gun as well. I don't think I'd touch much of their other stuff though.

I've got an 18g Dewalt brad gun. I've had it about a year and it's been good. I didn't have a nailer before so nothing to compare it to really. I wasn't really sure I needed it but now I have it I use it plenty.

At the time I bought it I was considering getting a small Senco compressor and nailer which seems ridiculous now.

Handy to get Dewalt if you've already got the batteries, but if you ever needed to get a framing nailer the Dewalt ones don't seem to get great reviews.

I too have the DeWalt and have used it for a couple of years. It has been really good and there's no way I'd ever go back to lugging air lines and a compressor around. I also have the DeWalt framing nailer and I love that too.

I bought the brad nailer when doing a barn conversion and it was a revelation when doing the second fix joinery. I thought that I would sell it after I had finished the job as I couldn't see that I'd have much use for it - how wrong I was! I use it on various projects and I've just started building a shepherd hut so it'll be seeing a lot of action in the coming weeks.

It's a solid piece of kit that works well and has so far been very reliable. I can't remember having it jam either.

Hope that helps :)

Recently bought the Rutlands battery brad nailer, it does what it's meant too, but heavens it's heavy obviously using it overhead is a real pain if you have lots to do.

Back