Cordless brad nailer advice wanted.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond UK

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Makita DBN500 brad nailer for a while but I don't think I can justify the price tag at £290.00 for the bare tool at the moment.

I have a couple of air powered brad nailers (18g) which I use on a daily basis but not excessive.

I know Aldi did an 18v brad nailer for around £80.00 but I can't find any for sale. I think they're the same as the Vonhaus and Katsu ones?

The Katsu I have found for just over £100.00 here which seems cheap if it's ok.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JZH4RVV/ref=dp_cerb_2

Any experience?

I'd love to buy the Makita one but the better half will kill me if I do so. :shock:

I have the Workzone version, If you are after a reliable tool that will save you time and provide some utility I would recommend you stay away and go for a better quality version or a different model. Or, failing that a small compressor and air tool.

I've had it about 18 months, pretty early on it got jammed. This should not be that difficult to clear but for some reason you need to remove several hex screws of varying sizes and then remove the whole assembly at the top and clear the jam. Then reassemble before knowing if its cleared. To make matters worse the hex screws are made of the cheapest quality material and several became unusable and had to be drilled out. I only ever used alan keys to remove them so they must have been very soft!

I keep meaning to replace the screws with better quality ones but its very fiddly with different sizes so I've never bothered. Currently the part that jams is held down with 2 screws rather than the 4 as half are unusable. I made sure to properly lubricate the mechanism which appears to be something they did not do as the first time I took it apart it was as dry as a bone.

Aside from the jams I have found the battery to be very capable and the tool quite helpful. It is far too heavy though, and can't be held in one hand and used with much dexterity like you can with a compressor powered air tool. For the price you could get a small 5L compressor and a small pin nailer. I know the battery makes things easy but for reliability, go air tools or go for a proper brand.

I've had the dewalt version for a year or so and in that time it's never jammed or missed a beat. Its great. Prior to this I had a ryobi air strike and that was also good, would still have it if it hadn't been stolen!

De Walt.

Recommended by my local tool supplier who also does repairs and supplies mostly tradesmen. He sells numerous brands including Makita, Paslode etc.

Mine has had just one blockage in that time (double fire) and is cleared easily with the flip top end. You can fire singles or continuously and the depth stop setting is excellent - from deep driven to flush to standing just proud. Handles hardwoods perfectly.

Spence":1god2obo said:
I have the Workzone version, If you are after a reliable tool that will save you time and provide some utility I would recommend you stay away and go for a better quality version or a different model. Or, failing that a small compressor and air tool.

Cheers for the advice Spence. I'll stay clear of that one. It seems there are about 6-7 of the same units in different colours and branding on the market.

I have a couple of brad nail guns and a headless pinner (air) and a 50L compressor. I was after the convenience of no airline.

I haven't looked at the dimensions and weight of the Makita one yet but it does look pretty big and chunky here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAbzzufw7l4

owen":3cv7b4yf said:
I've had the dewalt version for a year or so and in that time it's never jammed or missed a beat. Its great. Prior to this I had a ryobi air strike and that was also good, would still have it if it hadn't been stolen!

AJB Temple":3cv7b4yf said:
De Walt.

Recommended by my local tool supplier who also does repairs and supplies mostly tradesmen. He sells numerous brands including Makita, Paslode etc.

Mine has had just one blockage in that time (double fire) and is cleared easily with the flip top end. You can fire singles or continuously and the depth stop setting is excellent - from deep driven to flush to standing just proud. Handles hardwoods perfectly.

I don't own any DeWalt tools. All my cordless tools are Makita. I'll have a look into them.

Raymond, I am in the same boat, I'm on the Makita platform and looking for a nailer. I hear lots of good things about the Ryobi one, shame Makita don't make something similar price and size, would suit me perfectly.

Doug

Hi Doug,

The Ryobi nailer seems reasonable priced at £135. I'll have a look into some reviews later.

The Makita brad nailer is only £110 off the Makita battery mitre saw which is also on my list of future buys. Decisions decisions.... Life if hard :roll:

I don't want to go off topic but op said he had an air nailer. Will a 50psi 2.5cfm compressor be OK to use a brad or finish nailer with?
Cheers
Glenn

Despite Makita having the range they do, their cordless nailers have been somewhat absent. Those they do have are more expensive than the completion without being noticeably any better.

Having bought cheap and paid twice often enough in the past I went for the DeWalt 1st and 2nd fix nailers with one including batteries and a charger. I've used the 2nd fix way more than the other but found the both to be great; the 16g 2nd fix never skipped a beat.

The pros I follow on the tube don't really rate the 1st fix one on reliability but the 2nd fix one got the thumbs up. That's until Milwaukee came with their new offering namely due to the lower ramp-up time.

If you're looking for a great nailer then either would be worth a look if you can handle another battery platform and a compressor is undesirable. I've had a small compressor just for nailing and didn't get on with it. For me, the extra lolly to be cordless was well worth it. But, if you're entirely workshop bound, a compressor would likely not be such a deal-breaker... and potentially a lot cheaper.

FatmanG":vl2a3y70 said:
I don't want to go off topic but op said he had an air nailer. Will a 50psi 2.5cfm compressor be OK to use a brad or finish nailer with?
Cheers
Glenn

Not sure. Mine is a 50L and 9.5cfm and kicks in pretty regular

I have the 16G Hitachi/Hikoki brad gun and it's excellent. Not cheap but you gets whats you pays for!
I've fired thousands of nails through mine an only ever had one jam. No gas either, just batteries.

It is a shame however that their 23G machine is not available on this side of the pond.
I keep asking all my friends if they are going to the states so they could pick me one up!

Raymond UK":1n4gq5u7 said:
FatmanG":1n4gq5u7 said:
Cheers
Glenn

Mine is 50l but short on psi if I'm reading it right 2.5cfm is OK 50l is OK its the psi I'm worried isn't enough. I have a fence I need to higher ready to build my new workshop/shed. I may as well get the nailer and if its pants then a new compressor.

FatmanG":n5tgy3es said:
Raymond UK":n5tgy3es said:
FatmanG":n5tgy3es said:
Cheers
Glenn

Mine is 50l but short on psi if I'm reading it right 2.5cfm is OK 50l is OK its the psi I'm worried isn't enough. I have a fence I need to higher ready to build my new workshop/shed. I may as well get the nailer and if its pants then a new compressor.

I've just had a look at mine and it's 8 bar (116psi) 2.5hp 9.5cfm.

Once it drops below 7 bar on the gauge it struggles with 40mm brads

Latest posts

Back