Cordless Bosch - RIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

Established Member
Reaction score
My old trusty Bosch Cordless Drill, a friend of many years has finally given up the ghost :cry: . Given as it has been so good to me I was thinking of replacing it with an updated version of the same drill but thought I would just see if anyone had any views on other brands etc.

Basically looking at around the £100 mark but can go a little higher if worth it. The last drill was 14.4 Volts which always seemed to cope and would not want anything less than that. Has anyone brought a drill lately that they liked in this price range?

Thanks WiZer

Was thinking about the Makita actually. Am I right in thinking that the same drill is cheaper with three batteries than with two. I come from the train of thought that if it sounds to good to be true then it normally is!

Can sympathise with your 'feel better' comment, my old Bosch is very comfortable through familiarity. Don't think there is ever a job where it is not used.

i thought that when looking earlier today. not sure the difference between the £100 one and the £170 one

I think the Makita are on special at the moment as my local Travis has the same drill + three batteries + tool chest with large qty of bits/sockets etc of indeterminate quality for £99+VAT

Roger

Hi Kev

I love Makita tools but there is something to beware of on the cordless side. They change their batteries from model to model.

I would suggest that you have a look at DW as they standardise on batteries throughout their range.

Cheers
Neil

The difference between the £100 and the £170 is the type of batteries. The cheaper one comens with 3 1.6Ah Ni-Cad batteries, the expensive one with 2.3Ah Ni-Mh batteries.

I kind of know thet the Ni-Mh are a better battery technology, but maybe someone can help on the details!

I think Makita are now running 2 lines, the red battery versions have been poping up all over the place on specials, while the black battery ones are retaining their price. I got the cheap model at the ally pally show (for less than £100) and find it perfect - though I was previously using no-name versions!

Les

Les Mahon":6b40fty2 said:
I kind of know thet the Ni-Mh are a better battery technology, but maybe someone can help on the details!

Les

Memory effect IIRC...NiCads develop this over time ..resulting in not holding their charge...they like to be discharged fully before being recharged to try and alleviate the memory effect. NiMH don't exhibit this effect as much ...IIRC

Roger

Spot on Roger. I didnt realise my Makita was Nickel Cadium. Nickel Metal Hydride is much better.

Hi, Kev

I've had a Bosch cordless for years and it died recently as well...t'was a very good trusty drill.

I bought one of the new 8444 18v Makita MXT drills with 2 x 3.0ah batteries. It's real quality - the feel and balance are perfect - the power and settings knock spots off my old Bosch. It's a bit more pricey, but I'll be giving it a lot of use. There are lots of deals / packages out there at the mo. I got mine from Toolshopdirect.co.uk......got a 'free' holster and belt with it :?

Makita or DeWalt gets my vote when it comes to powertools.

Cheers

Howard

Kev, I still have a Bosch 9.6v that must be over 15 years old & still working on it's umpteenth set of batteries. This drill has had some serious site use and I now use it as a loaner to apprentices etc. These days I'm a dedicated Makita man and have a couple of 14.4v/2.6ah drills. A workmate had a DW 18v but he rates the Makita far superior . Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for all the useful advice. I think I will go with Makita as it seems to be a good workhorse from what people have said. I just need to work out now if I can afford the better batteries!

How about the Hitachi Ds14dvf drill driver. Come with 3 batteries and now has a fan cooled motor. We have sold hundreds of them with very little problems. Bosch cordless tools seemed to have taken a nose dive, quality wise, recently. Had one back within the week under warranty, the whole front had fallen off.

Matt.

personally I have a DW922 12volt had it about 10-12 yrs now and have worked it to death, just replaced one battery is all. Have now upgraded ('bout two months ago) to a DW DC728 14.4 volt seems a lot meatier, but can't judge just yet give it some time to see how it does.
But a friend of mine (like Pete) has a Metabo and swears by it. Calls it his John Deere (possibly 'cause that's also green?)
but he has said if he ever changes, maybe, he is looking at trying the Milwaukie range of tackle. nice, but way out of my range though.
But I've no complaints with the DW it has served me very well over the years.
By the way I just noticed on the Metabo site that they have gone in with E/Beckam for a joint venture in the States.
Cheers
Trev.

Thanks Jake,
I didn't know that.
But then I was always told as a child. 'you learn something new each day.'
Cheers
Trev.

Latest posts

Back