Corbels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
After coming to a stop in the shop today due to the runners for the bed, I decided to make a start on another little job I have. Two corbels for a listed building. Here is the original one:
DSCN2666.jpg

And here is the section I made this afternoon:
DSCN2667.jpg

It wasn't too bad to make really. I made it out of three pieces laminating them together. I cut the first out on the bandsaw and then used a bearing guided cutter in the router to copy the others. I do have four of the smaller mouldings on top to make and four back plates. Not bad for an hour and half I thought.

While I was waiting for the primer to dry on the doors I returned to making the corbels again. I have six of them to make and managed to get four and a half finished today.
DSCN2684.jpg

I have finished the moulding that runs between them and the customer took that today. That was just a simple curve with two half rounds in it. It was 20 mtrs of it though! :shock:

250mm? If that is about 7" then your correct Mick. They are 7" tall and 5 1/2" wide. They will be larger once the remainder of the corbel and the backing plates are assembled to them. I think I am showing my age with the Imperial measurements too. :oops:

There you go, it's my age. :lol: I am fine with meters, I used to work in them whilst scuba diving but for small measurements it's got to be Imperial for me to visualise it. :oops:

I spent today working on these again. I finished the main body of the corbels and now had to make the lower moulding. I scratched my head a bit as to just how I was going to make it? I started by making a test piece to make sure My ideas would work.
Testpiece.jpg

This would give me the general outline of the moulding from which I could bandsaw out the sides. I used my panel raising cutter for the first part.
Largeradius.jpg

I made two of these and glued them at right angles to give the large sweep to the curve. Then I cut the upper section using the router table with a roundover and the table saw to give me a Hockey stick profile.
Hockeystick.jpg

These were glued together to give the profile of the test piece and then cut into section at the width I required. Then it was onto the bandsaw and bobbin sander to shape the sides. This is what I ended up with.
Lowersectioncomplete.jpg

Now it was a simple matter of making the very lowest moulding which was simply a section with a roundover.
Bottommoulding.jpg

These were put in the clamps and glue while I started on the back plates. All these consisted of was a flat piece of timber with two sections cut out at each side bottom and a rebate to the rear.
Backplates.jpg

Using a template to position everything I assembled the six full corbels and got them finished ready for painting.
thefullset.jpg

And here is a pic of them with the older brother.
Witholderbrother.jpg

customer should be happy with those I think. Got to admit I was well pleased that it all turned out right. :D

I am not sure Roger. It looks like it was but it is difficult to tell due to the wear and tear. The small bottom moulding is a seperate piece, well actually three seperate pieces. The main body of the corbel looks to be a solid piece but difficult to tell. I couldn't use a solid piece myself as my bandsaw isn't man enough and I would have had difficulty cutting the flutes on a rounded surface. Did take a bit of head scratching to work out just how I was going to make them at first.

Very impressive. Hope this brings you further work. It should. Will this be around in another hundred years? Hope your name is noted on the back somewhere. Good luck.

Thanks guys. The customer came to pick them up today and was so impressed with them he took a photo to send to his partner! He owns a few properties around this area and some of them are listed like these two. He promised me he will certainly have more work for me in the near future. A great result and something I really enjoyed making. I AM a happy bunny. :D

Back