Cor! It's a bit slow around here...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
:( ... So lets get some talking going. Here are some topic starters:

What are you working on now?
What's the next Project?
Do you like power or hand tools best?
Where do you do your wood working?
Who likes sanding?

And here is one to show others :mrgreen:

What do you want for Christmas?

Woody

Hi woody,yeah it is slow arond here but hay thats life :)
I am working on my tool storage at the moment with a rack and a few holders.Storage is tight because i have a small i mean very small work area of a single car garage but i can still enjoy my hobby :D. I also share it with a bike on a wall rack,dryer,big chest freazer,and other bits and pieces but no junk lol .oh yeah the car at night but i am only 15,16 next Sunday 8th December.
Now hand tools or power tools ermm i like both but i have only ever used a few power tools,i really like modern hand tools i just like to use them because there fun 8) but so are power tools 8) :D .And i am getting a trend t3ek router kit for X-MAS and some hand tools.

This is my bench link that shows i am tight for space :D

Click here for my photos

Hi Mike,
Happy Birthday for next Sunday :) Well, when I was your age, we didn't have a garage, But my Dad had a big bench in the attic room that I wasn’t allowed to use :( It had a big Record vice in it. That vice is now in my garden shed at home on a small bench. I have a workshop in London 1200 sq.ft. That may sound huge to you but when it is the place I have to use to make a living in it is also too small! It doesn’t mater how much space you have, it's never enough. My First router was a Bosch machine, very similar to the T3. I had lots of fun with that. If you have never used one before, take your time and learn how to us it properly. If your not sure about any thing, just ask a question here - somebody will know the answer :!:

Have fun and bee safe - The man who taught me most of what I know today, would say "Keep your fingers behind the sharp bits and you can't cut yourself" It must be good advice he never did.

Woody

Thanks woody, i have been reading a few books on routers and will read the instruction manual thats for sure.I am looking forward to building a new CD rack when i get my router, though i could make it with out one i just want this to be my first project to use it on and i will try it out alot on scraps to get to know the machine.

Hi woody welcome to UKworkshop....

I prefer to use power tools mainly and i'm a bit of a junkie. At the moment I have no major project but i'm working on a beech knife block for mum and dad for x-mas.

Like mike i'm 15 years old and work in a single car garage with a car in at night. But theres only tools in there so I have space.

Check out my site to see some pics of the workshop, projects and other stuff....

Well James I'm impressed, What got you interested in woodworking in the first place? and do you intend to make a profession out of it?

Woody

I got into woodworking through a friend. He got a cordless drill for christmas 1999 and I was jealous so I got one over winter 1999/2000 we were mucking around and made some cruddy shack. It went from there really...

I hope to become a cabinetmaker in the future

Hi Woody and All

I'm making Christmas decorations on a fretsaw right now using Patrick Spielman patterns - although I have designed my own work in the past. In fact, the only Christmas decorations we have are home-made except for some wonderful German Christmas Pyramids. I'd love to have a go at making those but it would be so difficult to make the drive fans. I seem to recall finding a German website once that sold patterns for Christmas pyramids but I lost it in a recent computer crash :( .

A few years ago there was a speciallist magazine for fretsaw users but it ceased publication after only a few months. A great pity! None of the mainstream magazines seem to cater for fretsaw users.

A project that I'm working on surreptitiously is a marquetry picture of an Alsation dog as a Christmas present for my other half. He's been pestering me for one for years but I don't know if I'll finish it in time. Ah well, his birthday is in May... :)

One of the big problems I have is with workspace. We work in a little outhouse which is actually quite superb for my needs. The only trouble is that every time His Lordship goes in there a new tool or device seems to appear and takes up more room. We've got loads of gadgets that we never use. All I ask is room to swing wood on my fretsaw table, some nice sharp chisels, a couple of saws and two hand planes. Oh, and lots of cramps, of course! Our old mallet and square also find regular use, too.

Actually, out of fairness I should mention that the last workshop gadget was introduced at my behest. We've got some logs from the local woods that have dried out and are ready to be sawn to size but we couldn't find a saw large enough to cut them. And I draw the line at letting him loose with a chainsaw :shock: ! So yesterday he bought some steel bars and made a 'H' frame to take a bowsaw blade. I don't yet know if it will work because he won't get a chance to use it until the weekend. Nevertheless, it can't be any less effective than the flimsy saws we saw at our local B&Q.

So, don't be discouraged by a lack of workshop space. My personal experience is that nature abhors a vacuum and space tends to get filled. Despite my best efforts. The better equipped a workshop is, the less productive it seems to be.

Gill

Santa's workshop is in full production at the moment...

Footstool for Grandma (actually cheated on that. Spotted a kit, with pre-turned legs in my local craft shop. Still had to be put together and make the seat bit though. Just about to hand over to the upholstery department (Wife :) ) for covering)

Clock/picture frame for Grandad

Wooden 3 piece train for Nephew 1

Biplane and Helicoptor for Nephew 2

Weather station for Brother-in-law (nice piece of oak), and for friend

3d Noughts and crosses, connect 4 and a solitaire board for friends

And if I get them finished in time, maybe a couple of picture frames.

Oh and a tree decoration for my son's first christmas.

And once Christmas is out of the way, get down to making even more toys (and a BIG pine toy chest) for my son!

And I'd like a bigger garage for Christmas :D

Oh Woody it hurts when you say this forum is slow :cry: No I do agree with you but its picking up and even though it isn't the fastest ww forum on the net I belive its still helping some woodworkers out there. :D

I haven’t got a current woodworking project at the mo but I’ve sill got a long list of things to do, including sheving/tv cabinet for the top room and a Shaker style wall clock,

My last project was a small hall table;

Photo of Hall Table…

Duncan you haven’t got much to do before Christmas have you? lol - sounds like your going to be busy.

Projects. Hmmmmmmmm

At the minute:-
Minature cabinet for a mah jong set
Memorial garden bench
Couple of hundred stool legs
Transport saddles (to stop 2.2m OD pipes falling the off back of a low loader)

And all before Christmas.
Well, they do say variety is the spice of life. HA :lol: HA

As for workshops. I started out in an 8x6 shed, that I kept banging my head on the roof, and now have a 300ft barn, and it still aint big enough.

No matter how much space you have. You'll fill it.

Cheers
Doughnut

sawdustalley,
It's good to hear you would like to become a cabinet maker - you obviously have enthusiasm, keep it up and you will gain the skill.

Gill,
Sounds like you are going to be busy. A lot of what you say sounds familiar - have you been talking to Mrs Woody?!

Doc.

All that work and a garage to do it in - It really doesn't matter how much space you have it will always get filled - See gill's post. We have 1200sq ft and that is too small!!

Charley,
I think you and your friends are doing a grand job - I was just trying to get some talking going. and I did :) If you want to get some publicity try e-mailing the editors of the WW magazines and tell them about your forum. That looks like a fine table, Mrs Woody want's to know what timber you used.

Doughnut,
My, are you gonna be busy, we have a major refub on at the moment and are still awaiting the roofers... :( can't wait any longer the T&G ceiling is going in under the felt and battens :!: The client moves back on the 18th and we are still rewiring... A few late nights, me thinks.

Woody

woody

Best hope it doesn't get too windy. Unless you can pass water-stained t+g off as 'RUSTIC'.

Doughnut

Back