Copy Lathe or Lathe and Copy Attachment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a lathe but i cannot decide whether to buy a copy lathe or a lathe with a copy attachment?

Any comments on which one to go for and any model recommendation would be great. I would prefer 3 phase but if there is a exceptional phase 1 machine i can power this too.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Regards

Woody

Come on the turners among us i was hoping to put an order in before crimbo tommorw.

Regards

Woody

Woody,

The question is too vague.

What do you want to turn?

If you just want to turn 100's of the same spindle then I'd guess a copy lathe is probably best although I've never used one.
If you just want a copy ability for the odd four table legs then you could use a copy attachment or do them by eye with the aid of a template or measuring stick which marks all the significant transition points on the turning.

As for what lathe to buy - how much do you want to spend? The Axminster catalogue is a good place to start, as is Poolewood. Personally I like the look of the Wivamac lathes, but can't afford or justify at the moment :(.

I certainly wouldn't rush the decision, and ideally I'd try the lathe before purchase.

Not much help really, but only you know what you want to do...

Cheers,

Pete

Pete, thanks for your reply. Thats me all over because i know what i want so should you.

As some of you will know i run my own business and this is what i want the lathe for.

So yes a lot (but not all) of the time it will be used for turning copies of the same spindles. For instance i have just taken on a commission from a local restaurant who is doing a complete refit and they want 30 tables and 120 chairs. Too big for my 2 man (well one man and a woman) band so i had to farm the chairs out to another local company. A shame really but i just would not have been able to bring the job in on time.

My budget is around £1500 to £2,000.

As for rushing the decision and trying the lathe first, you are of course right but to tell you the truth i have already tried a number of lathes and i have 2 or 3 in a short list, but i just wanted to know what you guys recommend without letting you know what i like. This way if the same lathes are chosen i will know that i have got a good one.

Why all the mystery well i made a big mistake buying my band saw so i don't want to waste any more money.

Any advice would be great.

Regards

Woody

Does anyone know of another web site, magazine or book where i can get any information on this subject?

Regards

Woody

Woody,

I know it's 'Murrican, which may not be ideal, but Woodweb might be worth a go perhaps? Maybe also worth an email to F&C? Have you had a search of rec.crafts.woodturning at all? Might be something on there. My best long shots; sorry I can't think of anything else.

Cheers, Alf

Alf don't be sorry your links have led me to a mountain of information, thanks!

If i am totally honest i have only been on the web since i started using my sons laptop and so i am not to hot with those search thingy bobs like google. If i put say "router" in, you can bet that it will come up with something like the nearest kebab shop.

Oh well at least i am on the right track now. "I hope"

Cheers

Woody

Latest posts

Back