copper nails on stumps....??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Not quite sure where to post this.... so i'll try here :)

We've had some willow, hazel and other fast growing stuff taken down to ground level just the other side of our rear fence (planted by a very generous Barratt Homes landscaper a few years back...) it all grew so fast and furious it was threatening to push our fence over :shock:

Anyway, down to ground level as i say.... and i want to make sure the darned stuff doesn't come back (there is a lot of other screening so they wont be missed at all). Now... i have a bucket of copper nails that we found in the father-in-laws garage when we cleared it out a few years back.... will they actually kill the 'stumps' off if i whack plenty of them in (hammer) or is that just an old wives tales...?

Nick

It may be an old wives' tale but I've heard it from two different college-trained horticulturalists - so why not give it a go and report back?

The girlfriend used to be a head gardener and says her friend had used this technique and swears by it, you apparently need to drive the copper nails all around the base! though she has never tried it herself. There is round up which is really good, and she has used with great success.

Cheers
David

I'd take the copper nails to the scrap yard and with the money you get buy some Glyphosate ,things like "Round Up" have it in ,but it's diluted , drill holes in the stump and pour the stuff in neat ...that will sort it for you .

I've heard about drilling holes and pouring diesel in? never tried it tho.
Chris.

I have it on good authority (from a gardener with 40+ years experience) that copper nails do work, but take a very long time. I was advised to drill lots of holes in the stump, fill with glyphosate and cover with a good strong waterproof cover. This should be done in autumn when the tree would normally not be in growth.

Either that or hire a stump muncher

Don't think glyphosate is any use on a stump; it works by attacking the chlorophyll in leaves, and stopping photosynthesis. As the stump a'int doing much photosynthesis................

The other line is to bore holes in the stump and put a high nitrogen fertiliser like urea into them - this will encourage rapid rotting. Of course, if you know anyone in the terrorism business, high-N fertiliser can also be used for more drastic removal techniques :D

I have used copper nails the only problem is its a slow process. The darn tree keeps on growing for some time, so I drilled a series of holes around the base 1/2" or 12mm slopping down would toward the centre of the tree. I think ideally all the way to the centre and then used my old sump oil from the car mixed it with diesel filled all the holes and plugged em.
That was the end of the tree, which one did the job? Not sure, but the combined effort knocked it over.

Sorry for the hijack ,
I have a magical computer :shock: :shock:
I sent in a post with a word beggining with the letter A ,submitted it and within a couple of seconds the post appeared with the A word changed to buttocks :lol: :lol: :lol: What a computer ,and the little man inside.

Latest posts

Back