copper nails on stumps....??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just drill a hole, fill it with dry weedkiller crystals and seal it with a wood plug. The crystals will slowly leach into the stump and keep going. Glyphosate a no-no as it degrades quite quickly as well as working only via the leaves.

An odd first post I guess but this subject is one I have dealt with on several occasions, the one product I have found that does work is SBK Brushwood Killer, as per some other posters advice, I drill holes in the stump and mix the SBK with Paraffin or diesel and pour it in the holes, sometimes takes an extra treatment a year later but I have seen good results with this mix.

You can get it from Amazon, just search for SBK.

To stop large stumps resprouting I put a groove all the way round the edge with the nose of the chainsaw on top just where the bark and sapwood meet. This is where it is all going to happen if it sprouts, so just some common salt around that ring will rupture all the cells and stop any growth. I've successfully done away with Willows and Poplars like this - if it works with them it will work with anything.
So salt will do it as long as you can get it to stay in the right place - for smaller stumps you could drill - as long as you get it into that area between bark and wood.

I was told to drill a few holes and fill them with old engine oil, then plug the top with putty. I've tried this on a couple of stumps and in about three to four years they've rotted away so they can be easily broken up with a mattock. Trouble is these days if you use old engine oil the Environment Agency will probably have your guts for garters :evil: :evil:
Regards Keith

Back