Copper Leaf Form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
This lidded form is made from Elm, it stands 6" tall without the final. The coloured area has been
airbrushed to give a 'mottled' appearance and the base and lid are covered in copper leaf which has been 'distressed'. The finial is Indian Rosewood. More info on this on my blog if anyone's interested.

Comments and critiques welcomed.

copperleaf007.jpg

I like the colour and shape of the vase. Maybe the finial looks out of proportion though?

A lovely form with good proportions.
Does the lid sit in an opening? (It`s a bit unclear from the photo.) If so, I think you`ve made a great job of continuing the curve of the body through the lid and up to the finial.

Ian

Hi Johnny, forgive the repeat of my comments elsewhere but think they are valid enough to be shared, I see a good flow of contour across the lid transition, not so sure about the high visual profile of the base treatment, could see it as just a thinner line a fraction above the base as though indicating a transition point to a base, would still provide a visual but not so prominent balance.
You know me and my preference for wood to look like wood but all the same I appreciate where you are going and the advancements you are making in personal achievements.

1. Fantastic workmanship and imagination (I lack both!)
2. I dont care for the blue - I think it looks half-done. I would say if you are gonna make it blue, it should be a solid, full-on shiney lacquer.
3. I would prefer the base to be a little narrower as it looks a bit dumpy.

Who am I to criticise?!

Just my tuppence, fwiw.

Keep up the great work as I love seeing it!

Back