Copper filler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
This was an experiment by chopping up copper wire, mixing it with epoxy and using if to fill a void, I don't possess a pressure pot to get rid of bubbles so epoxy additives are the way forward for me..The result was strong and smooth...
IMG_20210204_170112_994.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210203_134549.jpg
    IMG_20210203_134549.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210203_134558.jpg
    IMG_20210203_134558.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 36
Great stuff there Adam...loving the bowl. What wood is it?... I could do with a piece about 12” long 4 “ diameter...lol.
I grew up in Bournemouth...

Great stuff there Adam...loving the bowl. What wood is it?... I could do with a piece about 12” long 4 “ diameter...lol.
I grew up in Bournemouth...
It's an Olive burl, it's lovely to work with... Bournemouth was a lot of fun in the 80s 😁🤘

Hi Adam... I left bournemouth in 1978....I believe it a bit of a dump now....
Don’t suppose you have any of that wood left?....I turn wood ladies for charity..
AFA0E7F8-BD00-4B66-A80D-A1F87B7E1F18.jpeg
AFA0E7F8-BD00-4B66-A80D-A1F87B7E1F18.jpeg

Hi Adam... I left bournemouth in 1978....I believe it a bit of a dump now....
Don’t suppose you have any of that wood left?....I turn wood ladies for charity..View attachment 102805View attachment 102805
Nice looking ladies for sure, great forms..... we get all our Olive as firewood here, if things chill out a bit this next year we'll be driving the car back from Europe to the UK and i'll bring a few chunks with me.... let's see what happens.....

Hi Adam, lovely piece. Is it from the root ball? How did it go with the copper wire on the chisel? Much re-sharpening? I generally use some of the 5 minute epoxy, sometimes with a little colour added. It looks like you had a fair few gaps to plug with many on the slope. You can use Milliput, but the colour range is limited. I have tried mixing in colour from the white base one with limited success.

It's given me an idea. I have just bought some brass powder (I have some bronze, but can't put my hand on it), epoxy and polyester casting resin - it might be interesting to put chopped copper in with it and see what the effect is. Copper and copper powder might be different again.

Hi Adam.. that would be great if it works out... we will have to keep n touch..
PM me if you like anytime...you might be able to get hold of some old tools on route.....hehe

Hi Adam, lovely piece. Is it from the root ball? How did it go with the copper wire on the chisel? Much re-sharpening? I generally use some of the 5 minute epoxy, sometimes with a little colour added. It looks like you had a fair few gaps to plug with many on the slope. You can use Milliput, but the colour range is limited. I have tried mixing in colour from the white base one with limited success.
Pretty sure it was a burl, i try to avoid roots for the obvious reasons, could be wrong though.... The only time i use carbide is for epoxy and soft metals, the carbide didn't even know the copper was there...The aqua colour is Milliput yes and the darker green is a little epoxy with a drop of colour....

It's given me an idea. I have just bought some brass powder (I have some bronze, but can't put my hand on it), epoxy and polyester casting resin - it might be interesting to put chopped copper in with it and see what the effect is. Copper and copper powder might be different again.
Indeed Phil, mix it up, i have heard of people going to their local key cutters and asking for the metal dust in order to add sparkle too :)

Back