Quantcast

Coping Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

morpheus83uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for my first coping saw to make some nice curves and such in wood. I am wondering what people recommend? I know there are different blade types so wondered what's best out of the normal and spiral blades...

Also I presume regardless of blade if it's got 15 teeth per inch it will give a nice smooth finish when cutting in whatever direction I want?

Thanks

James

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
Has to be the Eclipse Coping saw, can be picked up for peanuts either new or secondhand, spending anything more than £10 is just pointless on such a simple tool. There's seriously overengineered ones such as the Knew concepts saw but these are pretty much unanimously accepted as unneeded overkill, they're not even that good for 10x+ the price of the cheap ones comparatively.

I have no idea about blades, I bought a pack of a hundred from a pound shop years ago and I've still got years worth left of them :lol:. I would be interested in knowing if there are some excellent blades that are worth purchasing though.

dzj

Established Member
Reaction score
" I would be interested in knowing if there are some excellent blades that are worth purchasing though. "

I bought some skip tooth ones from Axminster a while ago.
They work well enough. I don't use them much, though.

Sheffield Tony

Established Member
Reaction score
I presume the over-engineered coping saws arise from users (mistakenly) trying to make them cut on the push stroke ? That won't work too well with an Eclipse frame.

morpheus83uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you based on what you guys have said I picked up a coping saw from wickes with some spare blades.

I havent had chance to use it yet but I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks

James