coolibah burr/resin ovoid form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks

here's a new piece I’ve just completed

its two piece's of natural edge coolibah burr with red pearlescent resin 2 7/8" wide by 2 7/8" tall

P1150580.jpg

P1150584.jpg

P1150586.jpg

P1150587.jpg

P1150590.jpg

Fabulous, - looks like a photographers nightmare though !

That's a fascinating and lovely piece George and the form show's off the materials beautifully.

Cheers, Paul

That is absolutely fabulous ! Not normally too keen on adulterating the wood, but that really works very well.

Did you make a rough cast in a mould? If not how did you create the initial lump prior to turning?

fantastic =D>
Where can one get these blanks? would it be possible to have them custom cast

pray tell more about your finishing techniques

thank you for all of your kind comments

Loz: yes it did cause me a few problems!!

Nev: no you can’t- it just feels and turns like one material

monkeybiter: yes the initial blank is made in a mold

harlequin: pm sent with supply details, to finish simply sand then buff with three different mops and compounds.

Wow! That's incredible. I really like this. The colours and shape are stunning. How big is it?

Thanks. It's often difficult to tell how big things are from a photo. They often look bigger :)

I'm not normally a fan of 'hollow forms' but that is absolutely beautiful..... =D> =D>

Ditto Londoner.... what resin is it..?

I'm also curious as to how the two materials react when sanding and polishing i.e. one is bound to be harder than the other and the softer one would (you'd think) sand away quicker leaving an uneven finish, or once brought indoors the wood would shrink slightly leaving a small (but ugly) 'release' line between the two materials..?

Nick

(i've got a piece of banksia nut put to one side waiting to be infused with resin, but dont have a vacuum pump to be able to do it :( , i'm hoping i can borrow one :) )

thank you for your comments

what resin is it?

I get asked this allot-I’m sorry but I’m not willing to tell you how it’s done or which products to use. I’ve spent far too much money and countless hours to get to the stage of development I’m at to simply share the answers freely. I know it’s not within the spirit of sharing woodturning community and I have helped and still do help lots of people with woodturning problems but this part of my woodturning passion is special to me and not for sharing.... yet.

oooohh..... 'pat pending' then..? :wink:

I've got 30 years experience of various resins and i can tell you i'm well curious.....!! =P~

Nick

Latest posts

Back