cooking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watching A Wartime Christmas on channel 5. They cooked scrambled egg using dried eggs for breakfast, and the main meal was pigeon with, I presume veg.

Nigel.

More salt. Possibly more saltpetre. You need to look into making specific types of hams and sausages, using the specific methods for aging the meat. It would help if you have access to a cave, or unheated basement. If you use facebook, this may be of help: https://m.facebook.com/groups/thesaltcuredpig/
They used to have a website: thesaltcuredpig.com, but recently gave it up. I tried to search the Way Back Machine to see if they had any content, but it wasn't working for me. Perhaps you may have better luck.

The really old school way to salt meat was to have a salt barrel. Fill the barrel with enough salt that it completely covers the meat, and stays solid no matter how much liquid comes out of the meat. The meat will last for ever, but will need much soaking before it is edible. I think that the recipe above has enough cure to keep the ham safe as it is hung in a cool place and dries out naturally. I think. You definitely need a second opinion before you try it, as botulism poisoning isn't something you want to experience. I have never tried keeping cured meat because I don't have a handy cave, and it is just too warm here even in the winter (18°C as I type). I believe @Steve Maskery has tried his hand at some long term curing - perhaps he can help. I eat everything I cure immediately, or cure it and keep it in the freezer, which is cheating.

Great info, thanks.

A Cornish cream tea should be with splits, not scones.
I didn't know that - I'll have to try a split.
Phil, you will be traumatised to hear my VERY particular mate was once asked at a cornish tea shop if he wanted butter OR cream. To which he replied, "both, clearly, otherwise I wouldn't have asked for a cream tea"
The poor young server then made the fatal error of asking if he'd like strawberry or apricot jam!

She's probably still not recovered from the lambasting 😂

I think only once have I been to Cornwall (1970 I think) and I don't remember making an expedition to find a Cornish tea, so what are 'splits'? Well just to confuse matters further they are 'baps' - that is a morning roll in Scoltand; it's quite likely that there are regional names for those here too, but that is what I know them by.

And if it hasn't been already linked as I haven't read through the whole thread, here is the difference between Cornish and Devonish cream teas, and a 'splits' recipe.

https://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/cornish-splits/
Oh, and thank you to the Neophyte for the ham processing - might well try that. One thought is what if the meat is still on the bone ?
Rob

You can buy ham on the bone so that shouldn't be an issue?

From what I have read, it is easier if it is on the bone because there is less exposed surface area which could escape the cure. If it is defined you have to take extra care to get the cure in the nooks and crannies

Saffron cake -

DSCF0424.JPG

Back