Convex Double Bevel Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Well who cares, each to their own, if thats the way you do it and it works for you, o/k.
Just don't try and convert us to one system, I will carry on using my way that works for me and is quick and easy.
I won't even tell you what it is I am so bored with the sharpening wars.

Pete

Racers":26ams8bf said:
I won't even tell you what it is I am so bored with the sharpening wars.

Pete
You ought to give it a go at least. You don't know what you are missing!
Just being bored and uninterested is an improvement though - . the jiggers and bevellers used to go ape dung with sarcasm and abuse!

Pete I love the concept of the sharpening wars......how about a Hollywood movie a bit like the Hunger Games but called the Sharpening Wars in which we have teams of people using different sharpening methods and then fight it out to the death with a 2 inch plane blade. It would certainly quieten down after everyone except the winner had lost their lives and, let's face it make this forum a whole lot more interesting for a while?
Any takers?
Mark (bored at work now that Le Tour has finished and trying not to watch Cricinfo all the time)

Hi Gasman

I see it more as handbags at dawn, you could see who can fill a hot air baloon first.

Bloody sharpening police!!!

Pete

Don't want to upset you but the war is over and we have won! Come out mit your hands up, for you ze vor iss ofer.

Mind you I think Steve has a lot of stones on the go. The further you go from just one double sided oil stone the less practical it gets. I think Seller's method is about as far as you need to go - 3 diamond stones and one strop.

Yawn... Hasn't this thread been done to death??? It always ends the same way... With everyone offering their opinions while 1 or 2 people who feel that they know more than everyone else making up for 3/4's of the posts declaring the entire world is wrong and only they know what is best for everyone...

I vow to continue on my merry way and not even open this thread again to see why I am wrong.... Again.

bobbybirds":2idpu4u2 said:
Yawn... Hasn't this thread been done to death??? It always ends the same way... ......
Not at all. Endless new perspectives keep opening up. It has some way to run yet!

A lot of people queueing up to yawn and say how uninterested they are. The lad(ies) doth protest too much, methinks. :lol:

Jacob":3d0xhyzv said:
Don't want to upset you but the war is over and we have won! Come out mit your hands up, for you ze vor iss ofer.

Mind you I think Steve has a lot of stones on the go. The further you go from just one double sided oil stone the less practical it gets. I think Seller's method is about as far as you need to go - 3 diamond stones and one strop.
I'm a convert to Seller's 3 diamond stones (el cheapo too) and a strop and my tools have never been so sharp :lol: I find that often the strop is sufficient to restore a very sharp edge but even if I have to re-hone it is still very quick without the jigs! In the olden days :roll: the barbers used a strop all the time on the cut-throat razors so do we re-hone too often?
Regards Keith

Has anybody tried concave bevel honing, with or without double bevels?

***Dives under bench to avoid airborne missiles***

Yes, me. Use it all the time. Once mastered (not that there is a lot to master) there is no turning back.

OK. So we now have people who use convex bevel sharpening, concave bevel sharpening and flat bevel sharpening.

And they all work.

Cheshirechappie":3gxz6hov said:
OK. So we now have people who use convex bevel sharpening, concave bevel sharpening and flat bevel sharpening.

And they all work.
I use all three, all at the same time...convex bevel on the primary, concave on the honed and flat on the micro nano-bevel, or is concave bevel on the primary, convex bevel on the honed and flat on the back, or was it the micro-nano?..but it might have been flat on the primary and concave, or would it be convex on the primary at the same time, but it could have been the reverse of the first two. Who cares?

Behind you!! - Rob

Back