Convex Double Bevel Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":205v12nj said:
Jacob":205v12nj said:
mtr1":205v12nj said:
Well, thanks for giving it a try, as we already know there are hundreds of ways to sharpen and I find this way quick. Yes, I forgot to mention stropping, and I do usually strop. Incidentally Pine is one of the timbers where I would spend a little bit more time on my irons/chisels, but I'm not a slave to sharpening.
100s of ways, but having gone round the houses I am still fairly close to my starting point i.e. double sided oil stone, strop, freehand.
I've effectively added one finer grade, stopped worrying about rounded bevels (I use them instead), spend more time stropping and stopped using a bench grinder.

I thought you'd followed your guru and gone for nice diamond stones? In fact, you said so in this very thread.

BugBear
I don't have gurus. Yes I have Paul Sellers 3 diamond stones. They are effectively the same as one double sided stone plus one finer grade, as I referred to above. Cut faster but otherwise not much different. A bit extravagant really - I might just sell them on.

mtr1":2mq4pmkd said:
Well, thanks for giving it a try, as we already know there are hundreds of ways to sharpen and I find this way quick. Yes, I forgot to mention stropping, and I do usually strop. Incidentally Pine is one of the timbers where I would spend a little bit more time on my irons/chisels, but I'm not a slave to sharpening.

Ok, good, so we're using consistent technique here. Definitely want to avoid slavery in favor of quick efficiency!

The soft crushability of pine is why I like to use it as an end grain test block. A duller edge will get more crushing of the fibers, while a sharper edge will get more clean shearing with glassy surface. At least it's a reasonably objective way of being able to compare two blades side by side and make some assessment of whether one is sharper than the other, as well as gauge degree of sharpness while learning a method. It's nice to be able to ask, "Am I there yet? No, no, keep going."

Back