Convex Double Bevel Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No skills":3uo9p9hv said:
Yes the forever long lost message in any sharpening thread, just make the tool sharp and go use it...

:ho2
Nice to see it's panto season again! - Rob

No skills":2hx5slsa said:
:D

Be xmas before you know it..
Please can I have a triple bevel chisel for me SS presi this year? :tool: Let me see :-k I'll have a 25.5 deg convex bevel (that's the radius of the grind, btw) with a 30.26deg concave hone on the secondary with a nice flat micro nano bevel at the edge...stropped of course on a nice bit of leather with some of that green goo stuff. I wonder if Rob Lee could magic somat up in the new steel stuff? - Rob :deer :deer

Failing that I'll sharpen up an sds breaker chisel with an angle grinder and post it to you.

I'd like to apologise for the thread de-rail but today I dont care so no apologie from me.

sdbranam":2hlc64ox said:

Fire as they bear, gentlemen.
:lol:
Steve you've caused a bit of a panic - they can't cope and are all running about squeaking and gibbering! No chance of hitting a target at all.
As I said - the war is over. :lol:

Cheshirechappie":7s2nqyyc said:
OK. So we now have people who use convex bevel sharpening, concave bevel sharpening and flat bevel sharpening.

And they all work.
Yes. It's just that convex bevel freehand is quicker, easier and cheaper.

Racers":d1wq0yti said:
Jacob

The more you push the more I resist.

Pete
Your loss. Who's pushing anyway? I'm just telling how it works for me but it seems people would rather not know.

Jacob":1m7qg49y said:
Racers":1m7qg49y said:
Jacob

Pete
Your loss. Who's pushing anyway? I'm just telling how it works for me but it seems people would rather not know.

Double bevel via an Eclipse jig works extremely well for me. Easy, quick and sharp.

People should try it, before dismissing it. :D

BugBear

bugbear":1u1h1ga3 said:
Jacob":1u1h1ga3 said:
Racers":1u1h1ga3 said:
Jacob

Pete

Double bevel via an Eclipse jig works extremely well for me. Easy, quick and sharp.

BugBear
Tried it often, and other jigs too. I only dismissed it when I found a better way. I still use a jig occasionally e.g. handy for tell-tailing the bevel on a rusty old chisel - a quick hone at 30º shows just what shape the edge is in.

Well, it is not actually my intent to reignite any war. I just naturally assume a defensive position as I sail into these waters, based on past history :mrgreen:

Rather, I see it like a menu at a restaurant. There will be choices that appeal, and choices that don't. I merely offer this up as another one of those choices.

Hi, Steve

Its just some one seems to be pushing the house special, no matter how many times I say I don't like it :wink:

Pete

Jacob":nrudj7kz said:
bugbear":nrudj7kz said:

BugBear
Tried it often, and other jigs too. I only dismissed it when I found a better way. I still use a jig occasionally e.g. handy for tell-tailing the bevel on a rusty old chisel - a quick hone at 30º shows just what shape the edge is in.

Double bevel via an Eclipse jig works extremely well for me. Easy, quick and sharp. :D

BugBear (getting the hang on this "discussion" lark)

Concave. Easiest, the simplest. Stop being idiots. You need two pieces of equipment: a hand grinder and a 8,000G waterstone.
That's it. Nothing more. + The hand grinder comes in very useful for severely chipped edges!

Racers":2idh98qd said:
Hi, Steve

Its just some one seems to be pushing the house special, no matter how many times I say I don't like it :wink:

Pete
So what if you don't like it? Who cares? You don't have to take any notice at all if you don't want to.
There's loads of stuff on here I don't like but I'm not going to post objections to them all - I'd be at it all day!
If we want to talk about rounded bevels pineapples we can do as much and as often as we like.

BTW I've gone for the Seller's three diamond plates too. Just a little compromise with modernity. I've recently started spending more time stropping then I used to. My theory is that this doesn't do much for the edge but it does reduce friction where it counts.

Paul Chapman":cty3uygh said:
Jacob":cty3uygh said:
BTW I've gone for the Seller's three diamond plates too.

Blimey, Jacob, Stay-set cap iron, diamond honing plates - whatever next :shock: :shock: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul
I'm just being open minded - it's not all pineapples - just most of it!

Paul Chapman":3mofafyl said:
Jacob":3mofafyl said:

Blimey, Jacob, Stay-set cap iron, diamond honing plates - whatever next :shock: :shock: :lol:

Paul
Honing guide next I fancy Paul :-" :mrgreen: - Rob

woodbloke":3dupmggv said:
Paul Chapman":3dupmggv said:
Jacob":3dupmggv said:

Paul
Honing guide next I fancy Paul :-" :mrgreen: - Rob
Bin there dunnit.

Jacob":3tl9c7rx said:
Bin there dunnit.
Yebut Mr B, have you got the T shirt?..and pics. Not of you in a T shirt, but using a honing guide. We like pics :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (hammer) - Rob

Back