Converting logs - unusual wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles968

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have acquired some logs from a Judas tree (Cercis siliquastrum) that came down near here - it's an interesting colour and figure, moderately hard, and looks like it would be worth converting and drying. BUT... I don't have a suitable bandsaw nor the experience to get the best out of the stock. Does anyone know someone over this way (cambridge) who could help or advise?
The largest 2 logs are ~12" diameter and ~30" long - one is rather curved. It's going to be for small projects only, obviously not furniture!

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/ ... 20tree.htm shows some images of a slice I cut off by hand and planed - no finish applied. (one says 'rough cut' but it's all planed, just the other side of the same slice)

The sapwood has warped amazingly as this 1/2" slice has dried indoors, but the heartwood has moved very little, despite no precautions taken. Promising :)

I just joined this forum - it's great to find a UK equivalent to the US-centric communities that I have come across up to now. Looking forward very much to taking part!

Miles

Welcome to the forum, Miles. There are a few members in your neck of the, er, woods (sorry, it wasn't intentional :oops: ), so with luck someone should be able to advise.

Cheers, Alf

Miles

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure if this will help, but a couple of weeks ago I needed to slice some wood on a band saw (don't have my own) and I couldn't find any local members with a band saw big enough.

I got in touch with travis perkins and they had a place in Bridport that could do the cutting for me. Before anyone shouts that cambridge is a long way from Bridport, I was going to suggest that you see if there is any local TP that may be able to do this for you.

waterhead37":2dyt1pt4 said:
Waka":2dyt1pt4 said:
I needed to slice some wood on a band saw (don't have my own)

Watch out Waka, I think Alf regards that as a capital offence! :lol:
Oh I wouldn't say that. Buying a tablesaw instead of a bandsaw, now that's a capital offence... [-X :lol:

Welcome Miles.

Well, I have a bandsaw but i dont think it will cut your wood, i'm afraid. It's only a Lecky Becky 315 so it might not have the capacity.

If Waka got his cut at TP, there's a branch here in Peterborough but I dont know if they offer this service. There's also a timber merchant in Stamford but, again, i dont know about the services they offer.

Not much help am I? :oops: Nice wood though :)

Where in Cambs are you BTW?

Gary

Gary, thanks for the info - it might be worth contacting the people in Stamford, if they can't help then sure to know someone else.

I would like a bandsaw anyway - this is the sort of thing that should prompt a decision but.... it's not easy to choose and no machine seems to stand out as problem free. It would be so nice to find that one of the UK firms could produce one - Record Power make a good show for the BS500 but I will have to look at one in the flesh to see if it's all true :wink:

The other half of the problem is finding someone who can make the best from a limited amount of material, and advise how to treat it so I don't lose it all to distortion. I just don't have that experience yet.

I'm in central Cambridge, in a small flat with a largish garage/workshop - lucky me. My partner also encourages me to buy tools :D :D :D

Have you ever browsed around the antique tool stands in Waterside Antiques in Ely - well worth a visit and not too far from you. Deliveries every other Saturday so arrange to go then to get the best selection. Lots of chisels, planes, etc.

cheers

Miles

Miles968":9vgla1j5 said:
I'm in central Cambridge, in a small flat with a largish garage/workshop - lucky me. My partner also encourages me to buy tools :D :D :D

Welcome to the forum,you very,very,very lucky man :lol:

Andrew

Is there a tradition of 'beautiful supportive partner' gloats?

SO tempting to post a gloat pic :) but that _might_ get me in more trouble than a bootload of new LN planes!

PowerTool":1d8y9cz6 said:
Miles968":1d8y9cz6 said:
Is there a tradition of 'beautiful supportive partner' gloats?

Not yet.... but if you want to start one.. :wink:

Or one for beautiful totally uninterested partners! :D :wink:

Just remembered there's a sawmill (and a TP for that matter) in Cottenham that might be able to help.

My bandsaw isn't big enough for your wood, otherwise I'd have offered sooner, being just a few miles west of you...

Pete

Back