Converting Doll's House Scale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I am about to undertake a doll's house project for my granddaughter. I have some old Hobbytrends plans that I would like to use as the basis for my house but they are in 1/16th scale and I want to build this house in 1/12th scale. Is my thinking right if I divide the 1/16th scale measurements by three and then multiply by four I should finish up with the correct measurements?

Does that make any sense?

regards

Brian

If you are anywhere near a drawing office printers that archiects and engineers use they photocopy at scale and will convert for a pound or so on to a new sheet. Having a senior moment but they work in percenatges up or down. Well worth while. 1/12 scale is 1 inch to the foot so if you have an archtects scale rule it would be useful as it is marked in 12ths so working to an understandable conversion all the time. Good luck

Another approach would be to draw it up in SKetchup, then you could scale it to whatever you want, and take the measurements straight off the Sketchup model.

It would also provide a useful check against doing one of the conversions incorrectly.

Thanks everyone.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to cock it up with a calculation that was wrong. Divide by 3 and multiply by 4 seems pretty simple and I wanted to be sure it wasn't too simple.

The plans I have are not drawn actual size anyway so I will be transferring measurements to the timber whatever I do.

I'll post my efforts in the projects section when I start.

regards

Brian

Back