Converting 1.5" to 4" dust extraction for a saw gu

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Burgess

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to convert the dust extraction on an overhead saw guard and a table router guard from 1.5" dust extraction port to 4". I can achieve this using a soil pipe and a heat gun to mould it but it comprises the original design and obscres the view.
What option do I have??
Thanks in advance
Barry

Barry, try these www.toolpost.co.uk sorry i couldn't get a direct link to the page in particular, but if you go to the "Camvac" ducting accessories page, you should fine what you are after. You could try www.axminster.co.uk.

If you still find that your view is obstructed why not run a short length of 1.5 pipe straight behind the back of the saw guard and down just below the edge of the table and then connect up to the 100mm pipe. This way the larger pipe will not be on show or obstructing your view.

Good Luck.

Woody

Woodythepecker":1umlhall said:
If you still find that your view is obstructed why not run a short length of 1.5 pipe straight behind the back of the saw guard and down just below the edge of the table and then connect up to the 100mm pipe. This way the larger pipe will not be on show or obstructing your view.

Good Luck.

Woody
I am trying to get maximum air flow and am not trying to restrict the connection. At present I am playing with persplex
Thanks

Barry wrote:

I am trying to get maximum air flow and am not trying to restrict the connection.

EXCUSE me if i am being ignorant here but how would my advice "restrict" the connection or impede on the maximum airflow?

Your original query was:

I am trying to convert the dust extraction on an overhead saw guard and table router guard from 1.5" dust extraction port to 4". I can achieve this using a soil pipe and heat gun to mould it but it comprises the original design and obscrures the view.

I suggested running a section of 1.5" pipe straight from behind the saw guard so that it goes down on a slop until it is below the table and then connect it to the 4 inch pipe.
By doing it this way it would (1) NOT comprise the original design, (2) NOT obscure your view, (3) and it would make the connection you wanted to achieve.

IMHO, what it certainly would not do is to interfere with either the connection or the maximum airflow.

Most table saws I have seen (both diy and pro) have the 4" dust extraction outlet down below the saw blade or certainly below the table itself and as far as i can see this does not interfere with the airflow, so why should my answer be any different?

Regards

Woody

"EXCUSE me if i am being ignorant here but how would my advice "restrict" the connection or impede on the maximum airflow? "

Sorry Woody I was not having a go at you.
If you go down from 4" to 1.5" and are running a dust extractor often the bag collapses due to the lack of air intake.

Barry, think the best way would be to use the 1.5" hose direct from the guard and meet up with the 4" somewhere between the saw and the branchline or extractor with a suitable Y piece and/or blastgate. I'll dig out a picture and show you the way I've done mine. Works very well.

Noel

Barry, my son has a Scheppach 2500, this has a 4" pipe coming from underneath the table saw, which then goes to a branchline where it meets up with a smaller pipe which comes from the top of the blade guard.

The above runs to a Scheppach dust extractor, but he hasn't had any trouble with the bag collapsing.

Regards

Woody

I am not trying to collect from below the table as I have a dust bag attached to a Triton WC which collects the below the table dust. I am trying to convert the guard and also the Triton Router table. I have had a number of replies from an Aussie user group that will work with the saw guard but compromises the use of the table as the back fence has to be fitted.

Back