Continuing the jig thing . shelf support jig .Long with pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
With help and advice from forum members i knocked this 27 hole adjustable shelf support jig up today.
The only idea of mine was to put a sliding fence onto the jig the rest is from the forum :D
First a drill press .... i don't have one but adapt a mortice machine with a 12mm 3d bit :shock:
jig003.jpg

So i drill my first 3 holes by measuring and centre punching then drilling with the mortiser . Then i bore a hole in the base plate and line up the perspex with the 3d bit , all i need now is a 12 mm stay to go through the hole in the perspex to locate my next hole :-k a 12mm router cutter must be 12. ? because it doesn't fit . I know a 12mm hss bit will :lol:
jig004.jpg

jig005.jpg

With the holes drilled i wanted to be able to use the jig on wardrobes as well as smaller bookshelves so a sliding fence was in order . i drilled 6 holes top mid and bottom and was going to put a small channel along the width of the jig but then had a rethink and wanted the screws to be sunk into the perspex so not to foul the router base . Out comes my bargin of the year £15 router :lol:
jig006.jpg

a 4mm deep groove will countersink my pan head bolts . Heres the countersink and groove jig sawed out .
jig007.jpg

Next the fence , a nice bit of oak drilled out to take the bolts with wingnuts that will run along the groves . Once that was fitted i marked datum lines every 50mm with a stanley knife along the perspex.
Remove the protective film and i have one very handy jig for the cost of £20 and 3 hours work :D
jig008.jpg

I like the idea of using perspex instead of a sheet of Ply, as you can see what you are doing, it completely takes out the guessing part :)

Nice work JFC

McLuma

Back