continental blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
At least I think that's what they're called. Flat metal blades of different widths and a plastic grip at one end. Super for applying polyfilla etc..much better IMHO than a putty knife or spatula. But....

..I think I'm probably not getting the best out of them. My sense is that you could apply Polyfilla and that the edges would be automatically feathered by the blades..it happens sometimes but not all the time.

Also I notice that on the first pass it all is reasonably clean and smooth...but with a bit too much Polyfilla....but then when I reapply the blade it starts to pick up the stuff out of the screwhole or whatever and I can never seem to get that initial smooth surface.

Any suggestions? Or is it still fill and sand :wink:

I tend to use Gyproc "Easyfill" rather than polyfilla or tetrion. Its made for filling taped joints on plasterboard. It is much smoother to work with and sands a lot easier. Not sure what the blades you are talking about look like but I use an 8" taping knife

Jason

Roger Sinden":vx503by1 said:
Flat metal blades of different widths and a plastic grip at one end.
Roger

I think you might be talking about what or 'murrican cousins refer to as a drywall taping knife. Some of the best are made by Marshalltown and they're readily available here in the UK. For prolonged use the Durasoft handles are the tops.

..I think I'm probably not getting the best out of them.
I was told that you should bend the blade slightly so that it is slightly convex and then knock off (round-over) the corners to prevent them digging-in. This leaves you with a convex bead of material on the wall. It seems to work quite well. These tools are really designed to be used with taper edge (plaster)boards for the best finish, but it depends on exactly how flat you need the wall to be.

..Also I notice that on the first pass it all is reasonably clean and smooth...but with a bit too much Polyfilla...
Firstly any joints, screwheads, etc. should be taped or "scrimmed" with something like fibreglass scrim tape before starting. Try using what the colonials :lol: call "spackling" instead of Pollyfilla - Wickes call theirs drywall jointing compound. If things are sticky you may need to wet the blade very slightly. It's normal to work the joint with a narrowish knife, say 6 to 8in, allow to dry, sand-off (with a drywall hand sander) and a 3M sanding screen (B&Q do have these). Apply a second thin coat with a wider knife (12 to 14in), allow to dry again and sand, then a third thin coat, dry again and final sand. The second and third coats should be so thin that they dry in about an hour.

I had to learn this when I renovated my last house and it's stood me in good stead ever since, especially as I can't plaster for toffee!

Scrit

Back