Contemporary Scottish Targe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lee,

I think the creative and personalised interpretation of the proverb and the way you have used it is interesting.

I think the actual proverb is according to WikiQuote:

'Opinions are like assholes: everyone has one and they usually stink.'

If you have the depth of knowledge and understanding of Psychology and linguistics you claim then a deep breath and some reflection might tbe helpful at this juncture.

What you are currently doing is not helpful to you, your cause or the friendships you claim to value.

Philip

Lee, I think you`re being rather unfair in your response. I didn`t find the argument in your previous post very easy to follow, not helped by unattributed quotes, oblique references to psycholinguitics, sociological perspectives and existensialism. Adding that to the peppering of spelling mistakes, I think your own use of the English language could do with a bit of tweaking.
I notice a distinct tendency to patronise creeping into one or two of the posts on this thread.

Ian

Silverbirch":9d45hwu6 said:
Lee, I think you`re being rather unfair in your response. I didn`t find the argument in your previous post very easy to follow, not helped by unattributed quotes, oblique references to psycholinguitics, sociological perspectives and existensialism. Adding that to the peppering of spelling mistakes, I think your own use of the English language could do with a bit of tweaking.
I notice a distinct tendency to patronise creeping into one or two of the posts on this thread.

Ian

Indeed Ian,

It sounds a bit like some people are using the wrong orifice to talk out of. Trying to baffle with psuedo intellectual terms to confuse us peasants is not very friendly and smacks of some personal sense of misplaced superiority.

I would strongly suggest that we abandon this and carry on in our normal friendly and community minded fashion on other threads.

Yet again you have provided a single use of the type of response that makes me feel unwelcome

Quite frankly coming out with quotes like you have done in your post above as far as I'm concerned you are unwelcome. There is absolutely no need for quotations of that nature and in my opinion they do not belong on this friendly forum.

For the record Mark Sanger the reason I didn't comment on it was because I don't like it, the same as I'm not too keen on a lot of your coloured work so I choose not to comment on that either, I recognise that they are skilfully done but they are not my cup of tea. I don't need to be told what I can and can't comment on by anybody and am of sound mind to make my own judgements.
It really does amaze me that neither of you have posted regular on this forum for the last few months and then when you do all this arises, I was quite prepared to keep out of this debate but as both you and Mark Sanger have quite obviously spoken your mind in previous posts then I felt it only right to speak mine.

Before either of you or anyone else comments regarding seeing my work on the forum I no longer have suitable workspace to carry out any woodturning. At one time I used to enjoy dropping in here occasionally and looking at other people's work but if this is the direction the woodturning forum is going in I'll think twice in future.

I have said my piece and will take no further part in this thread !

Regards

Steve Jones

skeetoids":25apfunm said:
I said the 'community' was small and insignificant

skeetoids":25apfunm said:
Yet again you have provided a single use of the type of response that makes me feel unwelcome.

Lee,

If this is the way you feel about this forum, why do you feel so aggrieved about the lack of response to your thread.

This is not a criticism, i just wondered why.

Cheers.

gus3049" I would strongly suggest that we abandon this and carry on in our normal friendly and community minded fashion on other threads.[/quote said:
skeetoids":2oyqb89d said:

'All I said was... 'that piece of fish was good enough for Jehovah!'

Seeing as it was me who inadvertently started off the handbag swinging :oops: I'd like to third that. My intention was not to offend or alienate anybody or start a slanging match. And I would also like to think that what Mark said in the initialising thread was meant as positive support for Lee rather than negative comment on the forum.
I hope both Lee and Mark continue to show us their work in the future and those that wish to comment still do.

so please, deep breaths everyone ... and ... relax :)

I feel the need to contribute to this thread.

I admit to commenting earlier in the thread that I hoped more would comment.
This was purely a personal point of view, based on my own perception of the piece.
In hindsight, I maybe should have kept the comment to myself and posted only my thoughts on the piece.

If I have caused offence or outrage to anyone on here, I very humbly apologise.

I am on this forum to learn from everyone here, as I am still a beginner in the grand scheme of things.
My belief is the same as that of many others - regardless of the level we find ourselves at, there is always something we can learn from others regardless of the level they are at.

As has been mentioned before, this is a very friendly forum and should always be able to be seen as such.
This is why I felt the need to offer my apologies to anyone who may have found my comment out of line.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I'm off to make my 7th attempt at a ball!!
All that remains is for me to offer to everyone a big thanks for all the help & support that's always so readily available on here.

This just gets more and more bizzare......... Rambling speeches with big, rarely used, words, that must have taken far more time than was worth it to compose. This really strange notion of 'Lee persecution' that MS and Lee both seem to have developed as shown in both of their posts above and indeed in a short PM conversation I had with MS after I sent him a message expressing my shock at his first silly post in this thread.

Maybe just maybe the woodturning community isn't filled with people jealously and underhandedly putting down their 'betters' and just possibly you are not quite as important as you think you are.......................

I , and I believe 99.9% of people who turn wood simply enjoy it and some of us like to share our creations and hear, when offered, the opinions of our peers(yes it can get heated sometimes but that's part of the fun of discussion). The online community via forums and blogs etc is a great way to do this and this is why we are here. We are not in some backstabbing, sniping game of one-up-manship, trying to get to the top of some imaginary greasy pole..........

Hi Johnny,

I agree with you mate, it's all about the turning and we should just all get along right!

The problem is that none of us really get to know each other very well on here, some of us have no doubt made some good Friends and others will have not.

If I have let anyone down then it has only been myself.

I try my best to stay involved with online communities as I don't get out a lot. But sometimes if I'm feeling a bit low I can often say or do things that are out of character.

If you where someone who new me then you may note that the comments made by me where a bit out of character, I feel they where and that's becuase at the moment I feel quite dung about myself. But that is the nature of depression and it's associated issues.

I tried to stay away from this discussion as it was compounding my problems but I don't want to do that, I like seeing the odd bit of work that gets posted now and again, and just like everyone else I choose to comment if I want.

I'm now putting the lid on myself and will try to be more sensible in future.

Cheers,

Lee.

You had a bad day at the office Lee .

It happens all of us,me as much as anyone.

Keep posting , it does help.

If you fell like blowing off steam send it all in a PM to me.

Best of luck Lee ans Stay Well. =D> =D>

Great stuff Lee and Eugene - all we need now is for JT to reflect on what he has written and the reasons why and we can all get back to turning.

JT - getting personal is not the same as gettting heated in a discussion. I have no idea what went on in your PM discussions but to state I assume from one of your PM's:

"Maybe just maybe the woodturning community isn't filled with people jealously and underhandedly putting down their 'betters' and just possibly you are not quite as important as you think you are......................."

for me, crosses the line and you include yourself in the .1% you complain about by putting that on the Forum.

Phil

Philip Streeting":1rfkhj27 said:
........I have no idea what went on in your PM discussions but to state I assume from one of your PM's:

"Maybe just maybe the woodturning community isn't filled with people jealously and underhandedly putting down their 'betters' and just possibly you are not quite as important as you think you are......................."

for me, crosses the line and you include yourself in the .1% you complain about by putting that on the Forum.

Phil

As you said Phil you are not privy to PM exchanges and I see no value in reproducing them in full here but I was accused of sending a PM instead of giving my views publicly because of a 'lack of belief' in my thoughts , and I quote:
"I think you need to get out more and the amount of your exposure to insults is obviously quite low as I am surprised that you would want to PM me about this instead of having the substance and belief in your thoughts to post this on the thread in the open forum."

Therefore I said what I had to say where I was 'encouraged' to do so. I really don't wish to cause a stir but find 'put downs' of the members in general here by such statements as 'Brown and round' which as all should be aware is a put down, used by a subset of 'good' turners to call others work boring/dull/rubbish and the use of words like 'insignificant' to describe this community of turners a little distasteful to say the least.

I was not complaining about any 0.1% of woodturners, rather just expressing the non competitive nature of the 99.9% and their view that maybe the 0.1% are not as important as they imagine.

I am not angry or at war with anyone, I have not called anyone names, attacked anyone or thrown any toys for any distance from my proverbial pram!! I stand by my words in my post you quote from and have only just reacted to the seemingly bad attitude displayed in this thread, purely as they damage the community of woodturners here. I'm sorry if you feel I have crossed a line and I can assure you speaking out is a rare thing for me but when it seems necessary as it did in this case I will.

Just for the record, I joined this forum as a complete clueless novice and through the advice, encouragement and kindness found here I have gained the skills and knowledge to allow my own creativity to be set free. Therefore I hold this community in high esteem and feel it worthy of defence from damaging sentiments and statements.

Hope that explains my position.

Regards Johnny.

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for your understanding.

As my Dad would say, " A bad day at black rock", he was a big Western fan! :lol:

I think he would have liked the Targe, the belt on the back actually belonged to him so the piece is quite sentimental I suppose.

Anyway, off to sort out my finances (or severe lack of), I feel a trip coming on!

Cheers,

Lee.

Thanks for making your position clear Johnny.

I was trying to defuse the situation not inflame it.

I understand several mistakes have been made on this thread and maybe my last contribution is one of them.

What I was trying to point out was that maybe you might have made a mistake too.

I can see no excuse or reason for reproducing here either in part or in full any private exchanges you may have had via pm or email. You obviously feel the need to express yourself and your frustrations in this way and you have justified your reasons for doing so.

You have also shown the community what you feel about privacy and I doubt whether anyone in their right mind would wish to share information or exchange views with you in private again if this is the way you are happy to behave.

By all means have a spat in private but making private stuff public to support some idea or case you are trying to make, describes your own values not those of the person/persons you are criticising.

Also, remember, the minute you place stuff online it is there for the world to see not just in the Forum Community where you have chosen to express your views.

Phil

Please stop trying to inflame a silly situation Phil. I could bite but have been here before and understand where it leads, thanks for the last comments correcting my moral faux pas and pointing out the dangers of anyone talking to me. I'll just crawl off and go away.........

Back