Contemporary Display Unit in MR MDF and Walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
I just finished installing this, and I think it looks rather good;

Downloaded30711027.jpg

Downloaded30711030.jpg

Downloaded30711018.jpg

Downloaded30711026.jpg

Downloaded30711022.jpg

Downloaded30711024.jpg

Downloaded30711025.jpg

Cheers
Brad

No its not good is excellent fantastic beautiful =D> =D> :D
How was it made and waht sizes did you use
Dave

BradNaylor":1susg7l9 said:
I just finished installing this, and I think it looks rather good
- spot on. Looks great mate, always looks better when it's fleshed out with all the items that are going on it as well. You've got a good crisp finish by the looks of it on the paint, can I ask what you used paintwise, and application wise?

Cheers _Dan :D

Very nice Brad, it is what I expected from you a quality piece as usual. I do like to see the wood colour with a white finish it just looks so clean. Are the shelves torsion box or just added the front edges?

Here's a photo I took of the unit in course of being fitted;

Downloaded31711005.jpg

The carcasses are simply a load of painted MDF boxes which fit neatly together on site with overlapping facia stiles to to hide any gaps. Battens are screwed in place to support the shelves.

The 50mm thick shelves are made from two pieces of 18mm MDF with 14mm spacers between them and a front facia to give the impression of a thick solid shelf. The 14mm gap gives us a groove to the sides and back of each shelf to allow it to be slid onto the battens in the cabinets.

Everything was spray-painted in the workshop using Morrell's 10% sheen compliant AC paint on top of 3 coats of primer. All the carcass components were sprayed before assembly as this is the only way to guarantee a good finish on such big painted items.

Although in essence quite a simple job it was quite time-consuming as the client was very particular about having a very crisp and perfect finish with no visible gaps or black shadow lines on joins. Hence the photo of our fitter Rich working his caulk-gun magic! :lol:

It took two of us a fortnight in the workshop and then 3 days on site.

And before anyone asks...

...£6k

Cheers
Brad

Very nice, certainly looks worth the money.
Could you tell me how thick the fascia was on the front of the shelves? and how you managed to get the edge of the fascia flat with the shelf

thanks

Brad, a fortnight in the shop for two people seems a long time, is this normal for this type of job? Not knocking your work rate mate just interested as to how quick or slow my jobs take.

Very nice Brad, this is something similar I have been wanting to do on a slightly smaller scale in one alcove. I like the idea of the sandwich shelves, it really does solve having fixings showing while at the same time creating the effect of thicker and much better quality of material being used.

I do have a question what is the walnut? Is it a wooden veneer or melamine?

Looks fantastic - and better pics too - upgraded your camera?

Cheers

Karl

Back