Contact adhesive for veneer ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I need to veneer some curved door edges and given I cannot clamp the veneer with normal glue and using the vacuum pump will be tedious I was planning on using contact adhesive. I have done this before using evo stik contact adhesive, but I was wondering whether there is an alternative which is easier to work with ?

Use PVA, and an iron. The iron presses the veneer on and the heat dries the pva quickly, and with a much thinner glue line that you will get with contact adhesive. A layer of paper between the iron and the wood will help provent scorching.

I am using eucalyptus.

That does sound like a neat trick. Will it also work with titebond cold press veneer glue ?

flanajb":3g6eqegi said:
I am using eucalyptus.

That does sound like a neat trick. Will it also work with titebond cold press veneer glue ?

It will work with any glue that sets by losing its water content.

It also works well for sticking laminates to chipboard, for instance end strips for worktops, where clamping would be difficult. It sets much harder than contact adhesive too, which may be of some benefit (or may not)

jimi43":1kolwe51 said:
I must try that tip! Superb!

Jim

I got it from an Egger (big manufacturer of laminates, worktops etc) instruction sheet. When I used to fit kitchens, I expect people wondered why there was an pink and white iron poking out of one of my toolboxes, but they never said anything.

Back