Console / Hall table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGoddard

Established Member
Reaction score
I started his project some time last year, with one thing and another its taken me until a couple of weeks ago to complete. Its made from London Plane lace wood and the top is Ash (painted of course) I have gone through three finishes to get the look i wanted (test piece dont always tell the full story!!).

Many thanks to Custard who help with the construction approach, although i i think i went off plan a little. Still lots to learn. The table was me trying to create a replicate of something i like, it ended up being my own version....(which is always nicer).
This is the most complex build to date for me, along the way i released (after my mitres were cut) my Glide saw was not accurate (not sure how).
I also need to get better at glues ups when there are more complex.
I need more right angle to keep things square. For example the draw runners, where were also the side of the internal frame work ended up being slight out of square. This cause issues with the draw and top.
First time doing dove tails (by hand) and i need alot more practice, this also took the draws slightly out of square - not sure how.

and the last lesson...domino jointers are a great tool, however, i haven't quite works out how you reference the stock when you cant use the fence or bottom of the tool ie the draw fronts and keep it 100% square i find it tends to pull a little.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4.jpg

IMG-2581 copy.jpg

IMG-2586 copy.jpg

IMG-2579 copy.jpg

IMG-2582 copy.jpg

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 886
  • IMG-2579 copy.jpg
    IMG-2579 copy.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG-2581 copy.jpg
    IMG-2581 copy.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG-2586 copy.jpg
    IMG-2586 copy.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 886
  • IMG-2582 copy.jpg
    IMG-2582 copy.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 906
That's is a lovely piece of furniture, you should be proud, well done

What was the finish that finally gave you what you wanted?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

sammy.se":3jc4l21u said:

Polyvine Wax Finish Varnish

Buckeye":24lwferi said:
I like that. What is the top made out of?

Well buit too by the looks of it, I like the mitred drawers.

Excellent

I have edited the post as thought it would be better in there - The top is Ash.

That's an amazing job, absolutely "of the moment".

You can get accurate results from a Domino on angled work, but you generally have to invest some time in making a dedicated jig. The more you progress with non-rectilinear furniture the more you'll rely on jigs, for example on a typical chair I'll need twelve jigs at the very least and sometimes it can run to over twenty.

custard":3azqc8d5 said:
That's an amazing job, absolutely "of the moment".

You can get accurate results from a Domino on angled work, but you generally have to invest some time in making a dedicated jig. The more you progress with non-rectilinear furniture the more you'll rely on jigs, for example on a typical chair I'll need twelve jigs at the very least and sometimes it can run to over twenty.

Many thanks for all of your help. I started to use a couple of jigs towards the end. I always thought it wasnt really worth the time for ones offs like i do....

I actually struggled with the lining up the draw side with the fronts....Even though i used the same ref side the domins were always a mm or so out causing loads of problems..

again, many thanks for the structural advice and finish even though i went a different way.

Austinisgreat":1pp4k7k4 said:
Love the piece,

Not sure why you had to paint the ash top, but, knowing ash, you've done a brilliant finishing job.

Excellent, thanks for sharing

Andrew

I was copying a piece that had a grey/blue top and liked the way it looked..Plus is suits our deco.

=D> I think that looks amazing. Love the design. Love the London Plane. Sure there's minor issues because life is minor issues and resolution but you smashed it. 8) Well impressed! :D

That is gorgeous. I am hoping to build something similar for our hallway and came across this whilst looking for inspiration, you can consider me inspired now :)

Purely out of interest, why did you use ash for the top when it was going to be painted? Would it not have been cheaper to use something else?

ScottGoddard":2vjhul6m said:
sammy.se":2vjhul6m said:

Polyvine Wax Finish Varnish
Nice job on the table. I'm currently using the same stuff on a very large linen chest and if it's applied correctly, it gives a superb finish - Rob

Ryandotdee":m8z0cjk5 said:
That is gorgeous. I am hoping to build something similar for our hallway and came across this whilst looking for inspiration, you can consider me inspired now :)

Purely out of interest, why did you use ash for the top when it was going to be painted? Would it not have been cheaper to use something else?

Its what I had in the workshop....

Back