Conservatory framing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been confusing myself beyond all necessity learning about all the different framing methods like stick, post and beam and timber framing.

Can anyone elighten me on what you would call the framing used to build conservatories, orangeries and garden rooms? They are generally basically full length windows. In my mind this means they aren't stick framing, as they won't have the sheathing to strengthen them.

What sort of jointing would they tend to use? I know a lot of hardwood conservatory builders say they use mortice and tenons, but I don't see any draw boring pegs going on? Surely they aren't just glued?

Cheers!
Carl.

pike":lboa4wed said:
What sort of jointing would they tend to use? I know a lot of hardwood conservatory builders say they use mortice and tenons, but I don't see any draw boring pegs going on? Surely they aren't just glued?

Carl.

Most of the hardwood conservatories are basically a series of windows joined together so the M&T joints will be quite small, possibly wedged but most likely just use modern glues rather than drawboring. A lot will not have traditional M&T joints they will have been produced on modern window moulding machines which have quite complex scribed joints and are almost like finger joints so have a far larger glue surface

Post & Beam would use far heavier structural timbers with large M&T joints which are often pegged but not drawbored. The glass is then usually fixed to the face of these timbers with suitable gaskets and seals.

Really depends on the look you are going for as to what methods of construction you use.

JAson

Jason thanks,

Makes sense. I did think the smaller frame sizes would probably mean it wasn't pegged. I guess they might be using metal fasteners here and there too. I did see a video yesterday with one of those moulding machines, amazing stuff!

Carl.

Latest posts

Back