conservatory doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank

Established Member
Reaction score
my lad and i have been building a conservatory we got the panels from the reclaim yard they are brand new mahogany ,we have erected the panels and have got to install the roof ,my problem is making the door the opening is 105cm x205cm should i make one door or two if its one door how wide must the rail and stiles be and what thickness for d/glazing .i have never made a door this big so i need all the help i can get ,should i use m/ts or a open m/ts as on page 92 of fww basic skills thanks in advance .

frank

A single door of those dimensions will be very heavy, Frank, so I'd make a two-door opening. My initial thoughts would be to use up to 100mm x 45mm timber, depending on the size of the DG units. For strength, I'd have a waist rail - no doubt you have a height in the existing construction that this waist rail could match?

Mortice and tenons throughout, with a rebated overlap closing (as in the detail of the drawing below - please excuse poor drawing, but hopefully you get the idea). The frame will be as important - needs to be strong and absolutely square. Don't forget to allow for a threshold. If using a rebated closure, remember the lock - you can get locks to fit such a design, but I'd check the lock dimensions first too.

I'd hang them on at least three and more likely four pairs of good solid hinges, depending on the final weight. HTH - no doubt many more will chime in. :) Ray.

condoor.gif

Think Ray has got it covered, just a couple of points.

I would make the center rail wide like the bottom one say 145x45 with the styles & top rails 95x45 (100x50 PAR).

Fit the glazing and beads from the inside into rebates cut into the frame members.

Jason

thanks ray and jason .it was the stiles that i was not to sure on i will have to get the pencil and paper out .and see if i have some 50mm mahogany stock in the lads garage, oh the joys of being a dad :?

frank

I can't help with construction only to add that my Conservatory door opening is 110cm with 55cm-ish dbl glazed doors. So what your are proposing seem the norm.

Back