Connecting rods of different diameters/threads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to connect an M8 threaded rod with a 6mm unthreaded rod.

To-date I've ended up either
1. grinding off the thread to make an approx 6mm core and then using a 6mm sleeve. Recently elaborated this by drilling and tapping the sleeve for a grub screw rather than glueing
or
2. glueing the 6mm into a threaded 8mm connector

Both suffer from poor concentricity, but I can't find a female/female connector liek the standard hex connectors but with different bores.

Other, more elegant ideas?

How many do you need? Just the one, or is this the start of a production run? Not hard to make, on a lathe or drill press. Any preference for overall shape - cylindrical, square section, hexagonal?

Hi Andy

Just two in the first instance.
I don't have a metal lathe and my metal working is rudimentary at best, but I could try on the drill press I guess. Got to learn somewhere/time!

The only thing I can think of is to buy some 6mm connecting nuts and drill 8mm hole half way through and tap an 8 mm thread in that half.

Buy a piece of 14 mm hexagonal bar.
Drill the 6 mm pilot hole all the way down it. turn it over and drill the 8 mm pilot hole as far down as you need.
tap both ends to suit. easy peasy.
If it needs to come apart again use blue loctite. If its there forever, use red loctite

Back