Confusion over DAB and Digital Radio

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing the knackered radio in my workshop.
I've seen these radios, but the advertising has me somewhat confused.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dewalt-DC011-Ch ... B0009VX2W8

out of stock, but I have found a stockist.

It says they have FM, AM and Stereo channels, and that it is a digital radio.
Before I buy one, I need to know if this will become out of date, or is it in fact a DAB/digital radio?
Can someone help me get clear on this please?

I have a spare battery for my deWalt 18v drill... The radio has a built-in charger for these batteries, so does the radio use the same battery as the drill? (Not that I work on site, but I might want to take it with me in the car from time to time!)

All advice welcome.

Thanks in Anticipation. :D

This is not a DAB radio but like nearly every VHF/FM radio these day has a digital tuner ie has numbers on a display.
It may or may not use a synthesizer to stabilise the tuning.

hth

Bob

Cheers Bob.

So just like my old TV, it will become unserviceable when the 'switch-off' finally arrives?

I have a small Hi-Fi, that has a DAB channel, but it's a bit too nice to take into the workshop. I thought something robust like this deWalt would be a good idea, but not if it's going to become obsolete in three or four years. :?

I'm not confident that VHF/FM will get switched off as quickly as billed. DAB coverage still leaves a lot to be desired and the power consumption of portable receivers is still too high for sensible running on primary batteries.

Maybe an internet radio might suit you if you already have a WiFi network. Or just use an old laptop perhaps?

Bob

Yes.. The battery option was making me think.
Maybe I can find a reasonable low end radio that will suit.
It will live on a shelf in the shop and will only ever be used with 240v mains.

I think I'll put it in a cupboard with a grille in the door to let the sound out! :idea: :idea: :idea:

Thanks again Bob. :)

Sorry, but if I listen to music I listen to it.
Nothing worse than the annoying piped music you get everywhere you go.
Music in the workshop to me is just like that - I prefer the hear the swish of a plane making shavings.
Anything else is a distraction.

Rod

I agree with Bob,
Internet radio is good, I managed to buy a Logik internet radio from the local boot sale here in Bulgaria for about 4 quid. Sound quality is excellent. I converted mine to a wired connection but could easily in about 1 minute have as wireless radio. I was looking yesterday on the T'bay and there are DAB and internet combined with FM but prices still aren't cheap cheep.

I can connect up to MP3s on my computer and also any radio station in the world that is online. But mainly I listen to Radio 4 and it saves me having to boot up the PC every time.

I would give the dewalt a miss. Happy shopping
Danny

Harbo":8x9pv5fr said:
Sorry, but if I listen to music I listen to it.
Nothing worse than the annoying piped music you get everywhere you go.
Music in the workshop to me is just like that - I prefer the hear the swish of a plane making shavings.
Anything else is a distraction.

Rod

I know just how you feel Rod. :D

But then I have my guitar as well as my tools. So musically speaking I have the best of both worlds. When I want to relax with music, I can make it, or I can listen to it in comfort; usually with a glass of wine or whatever. When I finish the Morris Chair, that experience is going to be even more relaxing!

Of course I like the swish of the plane; but as I don't blast out the neighbourhood with music, I also like the company of Rosamunde, or maybe some Albinoni and Purcell, in the shop. (Name dropping again!) It also helps avoid looking a complete fool, when SWIMBO asks if I've heard about something major that's happened in the big wide world, while I've immersed in sawdust and shavings.

I don't bother too much with Classic FM, btw. They tend to concentrate on the 'lollipops' of the Classics, 'ad nauseum'!

And I still can't find out how to turn off the tracker that's showing me adverts of radios since I started surfing for them. :lol: :lol:

Ive got wireless speakers in my workshop and play music from my pc ive got several playlists depending on my mood
or i can feed internet radio instead

Am I right in thinking that the digital radio standard is not at all standard across Europe which is causing concern amongst motoring manufacturers?

Andy

I dunno Dedee.

I have a radio in the car, but I usually use the CD or cassette player. I get to choose what I listen too.
When I get tired of it and can't change I flip the switch for Classic FM. Mind you, that seems like a never ending CD repeat lately! :?

I'm with Bob ninefingers and don't think the FM switch off is anywhere near happening and feel sure it will be well after the projected date of 2015.

We've had a DAB hi-fi and a portable for years but it's only recently we've managed an acceptable signal. i have a mate works for one of the big retailers and he tells me that customers are definately not rushing to part with their hard earned on DAB.

More importantly though are the millions of cars, vans and lorries affected and if you look at the manufacturers, they don't seem to be concerned with relatively few offering DAB as standard fitment, though Ford in an effort to drive sales will be from this year. With conversions currently at £100 upwards, there will be an outcry and as said the advertisers and commercial stations won't stand for it.
I would want a % of my licence fee back from the BBC as a contribution.

I have a very recent high spec Audi without DAB (and at an extra £400 am not bothered), but my wife's Mini cooper has and I have to admit it's a better signal than FM.

Bob

Thanks for the input everyone.

I am sure I'll find a way around it. It would be nice to have the BOSCH Site-Radio with all its bells and whistles for power tool plug-ins and charging facility... But it's a lot to spend, just to put on a shelf in the shop!
Thanks again folks.
Much appreciated.

:D :D :D

dedee":rkj3o8jj said:
Am I right in thinking that the digital radio standard is not at all standard across Europe which is causing concern amongst motoring manufacturers?

Andy

Correct. There is DAB+ for example. However many European countries have seen the light and switched off DAB or are going to.

John...you might also consider doing what I have done. I had an old hifi system and so stuck that in the workshop. Happens to have an FM tuner as well..a bonus although questionable listening seeing how Radio 3 has gone to the dogs with its infantile tweets and email us with "what you are listening to while you are flossing your teeth".

But I also had an old PC laptop and a wired/wireless connection back to the house. I can listen to internet radio although some channels do drop out occasionally which is annoying OR I can, using iTunes listen to my extensive music library on the main iMac in the house.

Hasn't this infernal 'tweeting' sent many Radio and TV programmes, once reasonably sane and erudite, to the flipping dogs?

I have a twitter account, because it gets me in touch with, and keeps me in touch with publishing agents.

Also useful for quick messages to friends when I haven't time to email fully. So, hang on while I tweet that I have just eaten some almonds, and I am surprised how bitter they tas............ Q_____II :D

I wouldn't be without music and sport in my workshop.

I have an old low spec PC in my workshop, coupled with a 5.1 audio system that I was given. A £2.50 USB Radio Station gizmo (ebay... where else?) gives me instant access to thousands of stations without having to search for them on the net. At the weekend it's 5live or Talksport for the footy, (or even Absolute or any other station if Arsenal are the featured match). Other than that it's Arrow Classic Rock (Dutch... almost non stop music...virtually no talk, AND NO TWEETS). Or anything else that takes my fancy. I can play any of my stored music, or stick in a CD, or catch up with podcasts. Or even watch films etc (which I don't.... but you could).

I'll never go back to a basic radio. My complete set up is cheaper than that Dewalt radio. In fact, I passed on my older version Dewalt radio free through the For Sale section as I no longer needed it.

Roy

doorframe":36cbp5kk said:
I passed on my older version Dewalt radio free through the For Sale section as I no longer needed it.Roy

That was to me :lol:
Still going strong Roy :D used it this afternoon in fact to listen to the Newcastle v Liverpool match =D>

Bob

Latest posts

Back