Confusion over DAB and Digital Radio

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lons":1jbpok2o said:
doorframe":1jbpok2o said:
I passed on my older version Dewalt radio free through the For Sale section as I no longer needed it.Roy

That was to me :lol:
Still going strong Roy :D used it this afternoon in fact to listen to the Newcastle v Liverpool match =D>

Bob

Story of my life. Whenever I am looking for something, no one is giving it away! :D

Lons":p5ku48jo said:
Benchwayze":p5ku48jo said:
Story of my life. Whenever I am looking for something, no one is giving it away! :D

Just not quick enough John :wink:

I'm gonna build my own radio. It has to be small due to lack of space in my shop. So a crystal set will be just the ticket! :D

Benchwayze":7v8ejr6c said:
I'm gonna build my own radio. It has to be small due to lack of space in my shop. So a crystal set will be just the ticket! :D

My dad was a wiz with radios and tvs when he was alive - I'm sure there are some of his old valve around somewhere :wink: Not so sure about "small" though. :lol:
Bob

Benchwayze":3nhpixvo said:
Ho Ho Ho! Just because I am old and remember Valve radios! :mrgreen:
Cheeky young rip! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: not so far behind you I suspect - 63 a few weeks ago and our 40th aniversary last week ( bloody hell !!! ). Still feel about 20 but the aches tell me otherwise :).

My brother has kept most of my fathers radio valve and I have half a dozen which I thought I'd mount on a stand one day as they look rather good and bring back a few memories. It's on that never deminishing list of projects and jobs. :?

Bob

I listen to a valve radio - a Leak Trough Line 3 with a modern valve stereo decoder by Tim De Paravicini - but not in the workshop! :)

Rod

Lons":3hwytx3l said:
Benchwayze":3hwytx3l said:
Ho Ho Ho! Just because I am old and remember Valve radios! :mrgreen:
Cheeky young rip! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: not so far behind you I suspect - 63 a few weeks ago and our 40th aniversary last week ( bloody hell !!! ). Still feel about 20 but the aches tell me otherwise :).

My brother has kept most of my fathers radio valve and I have half a dozen which I thought I'd mount on a stand one day as they look rather good and bring back a few memories. It's on that never deminishing list of projects and jobs. :?

Bob
Lons,

I remember a weekly trip to the corner shop, taking the wireless 'accumulator' (Battery), to exchange for a fully charged one. I think it cost about a shilling for the service. :D

It's our 50th this year, so you're 10 years behind on both counts. So not so much then!

Cheers.

:D :D

I remember in those days , John, Tottenham Court Road and Lisle Street were a Mecca for surplus equipment. The pavements were covered with old jackfields, audio stud faders and the like.

Let's put it this way Roger,

I was always careful to ensure that the street wasn't going to be littered with broken glass and accumulator acid! :mrgreen:

Benchwayze":2rcdweug said:
I remember a weekly trip to the corner shop, taking the wireless 'accumulator' (Battery), to exchange for a fully charged one. I think it cost about a shilling for the service. :D

It's our 50th this year, so you're 10 years behind on both counts. So not so much then!
Cheers. :D :D

:lol: :lol: I've no memory of any batteries (we had mains electricity here in the Northeast believe it or not :wink: ). I do remember a procession of neighbours wanting their radios fixed and my father spent a lot of time in army & navy surplus stores to the frustration of my mother :lol:

Congrats on your 50th aniversary when it arrives. Will you be doing anything special to celebrate? We weren't intending to this year as we've had 3 long haul trips in 4 years but it's my wifes 60th next month as well so we've pushed the boat out again and booked for 3 weeks in the US starting in Las Vegas and ending San Francisco. Still got all the trip hotels to sort but I quite enjoy that. :)

We're at the stage where we think you've got to do it whilst we are energetic and healthy enough to do it - bank account doesn't half take a hammering though!

Bob

Lons":3en3s974 said:
Benchwayze":3en3s974 said:

Cheers. :D :D

:lol: :lol: I've no memory of any batteries (we had mains electricity here in the Northeast believe it or not :wink: ). I do remember a procession of neighbours wanting their radios fixed and my father spent a lot of time in army & navy surplus stores to the frustration of my mother :lol:

Congrats on your 50th aniversary when it arrives. Will you be doing anything special to celebrate? We weren't intending to this year as we've had 3 long haul trips in 4 years but it's my wifes 60th next month as well so we've pushed the boat out again and booked for 3 weeks in the US starting in Las Vegas and ending San Francisco. Still got all the trip hotels to sort but I quite enjoy that. :)

We're at the stage where we think you've got to do it whilst we are energetic and healthy enough to do it - bank account doesn't half take a hammering though!

Bob
Thanks Bob. Nothing special lined up, as we are both due to have knee-joints replaced this year. But I am hoping (Not hopping!) for a week in a quiet country area of the UK, if possible. (Probably Shropshire, Herefordshire or Gloucestershire. As for specials, we carry on as we always have done. :wink: :wink: :wink:

As for the batteries, in those days, many of the houses in Brum were still just gas lit, (Yes, even post-war). But it wasn't for long.. We moved to a more upmarket area! 'Leccy, inside loo and all! And all for £2.00 a week! :mrgreen:

Cheers Bob. :D

Benchwayze":288hdioq said:
Nothing special lined up, as we are both due to have knee-joints replaced this year. But I am hoping (Not hopping!) for a week in a quiet country area of the UK, if possible. (Probably Shropshire, Herefordshire or Gloucestershire. As for specials, we carry on as we always have done. :wink: :wink: :wink: Cheers Bob. :D

OUCH and OUCH. Very painful after the op, or at least when the morphine wears off and the physio gets his or her mitts on you. I haven't experienced it ( yet ) but have seen it several times first hand. My brother had it done in Sydney during our stay last year and it hit him hard. He is a wimp though :) and my next door neighbour is due tomorrow morning.

Does change your life, my father in law had both knees plus one replaced as it wore out after 12 years and he was playing golf again within a couple of months.

Best of luck to you both when it happens.

As far as quiet countryside - Northumberland is absolutely beautiful as well as our stunning coastline if you can stand the cold :lol: We took a trip around Kielder lake and forest last week and vowed must do it more often as we don't really appreciate what's on our doorstep.

cheers
Bob

Cheers Bob. The op will be a first time for Mrs BW, but the second time for me.

Can't say I got over the op all that quickly though. It's been three years now, and it still locks from time to time! As for golf, well If I ever play again it will be a miracle. I walked a course once, with a club in my hand in the 1970s. I learned a basic swing (which wasn't too dusty, I might add) but the game was way beyond my financial means then!

I have tramped your beautiful countryside, when I was in the services! My favourite place is Durham. Beautiful City, warm coloured stone, surprising for 'oop North'! It's a painter's dream along the Wear, and especially so down by the Elvet Bridge, I expect you know the viewpoint I mean!

So that's my year mapped out again... Hospital visits for check-up and physio!

Not to worry. It can always be worse.

:D :D :D

I use the car radio we had in our caravan with 4 speakers in the corners of the workshop. The channels are set left in opposite diagonal corners so wherever I am I still get the sterio. The radio is suspended under a shelf and away from dust.

I listen to a French station called Nostalgie and realise why the French have never beed front line in pop music popularity worldwise, but they also play loads of good stuff too..

Back