Confused?!?!?!?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi

Decided to come out from behind the rocks to try and get some advice!

I am looking to get an air compressor. The more research that I do the more confused I get. Initially, I want to use it for spraying small pieces of furniture, doors, skirting, architrave etc. I think that I need to get an RP gun, but I'm not sure! What finishes can you apply? For example I have got 20 internal doors to prime/undercoat/topcoat in the next month or so. I also have a AV cabinet that I want to make that I want to finish in a white high gloss which presumably requires a finer finish. Then theres the oak built in bookshelves.....and the walnut veneered coffee table....and the brightly coloured units for my boys room....somewhere on the horizon is the new kitchen..and the...well you get the picture!!!

However, if I am going to get a compressor, inevitably I am going to want more toys to use with it. I can see a time in the future where I will want to get a whole collection of nailers (framing to 18 gauge). As I think about it I guess a finish nailer would be quite handy when I fit all that skirting and architrave. This is getting expensive. Also while I was have a bit of a browse around the web I saw a vacuum press/bag that uses compressed air, and that might be useful for the coffee table. When will it stop!!!!

I don't have that much space so it would be quite handy if it could be reasonably portable/light.

In terms of budget I have enough experience (and boxes full of unused cheap tools that have since been replaced with quality) to know that it pays to get this decision right first time. That's not to say that I have an open chequebook!

Wow, this post just keeps on going! Better stop and let you get back to the workshop!! So in summary, I want a compressor that sufficiently big to take whatever I can throw at it, but light as a feather; Has huge output, but can be used to produce fine finishes; is the best on the market and also the cheapest. Or to put it another way, the Holy Grail of the compressor world!

Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum, Saint. Or should that be Simon? Maybe Mr Templar? :D Compressors are a closed air tank to me, so I'll leave you in the capable hands of Those Who Know.

Cheers, Alf

Doomed to hum the opening bars of The Saint theme for the rest of the day now... :lol:

Hi Saint,

Basically you should buy the biggest compressor you can afford! For spraying with a quality gun, 9 cfm FAD is OK for an RP gun, however some spray guns require up to 12 cfm.

Always compare compressors by FAD (Free Air Displacement). This indicates usable air output whereas a "piston displacement" figure is a theoretical measurement that does not account for pumping efficiency and other losses.

Single phase compressors can normally deliver up to 9cfm FAD - requiring around 3hp. These may well need a 16amp supply unless they have reduced pressure starting/extra large starting capacitor(s). For more output you may be looking at a 3 phase machine but... there are one or two alternatives..

(i) You can opt for a high speed motor compressor (usually oiless). They run at 2850 rpm instead of 1450rpm. Noisier but you can get a 9cfm FAD output from a 2hp machine running off a 13amp supply.

There are not that many low power-high output compressors on the market.

The Axminster Extreme II is 9cfm.
The Axminster Extreme 4 is 12 cfm.

The downside to them is wear. They're not rated for industrial use and are designed for a lower duty cycle (but fine for average home workshop use), and are generally noisier than slower running belt-drive compressors.

(ii) You can opt for a larger receiver volume (90L or more rather than 50L)to maintain the required airflow for a longer period.

(iii) Go for a 10 bar (145psi) rated compressor instead of an 8 bar (116 psi). The downside of this is extra weight due to thicker walled receiver. E.g. whereas the Extreme II mentioned is reasonably portable at around 38kg, a similar capcity 10 bar compressor could be nearly double the weight.

With the exception of (most) sprayguns and things like needle descalers, the majority of air powered tools like sanders, drills and nailers etc have more modest air requirements of around 4-5cfm being typical.

cheers

Ike

In addition to the volume requirements already noted, it's perhaps worth mentioning that things like air powered sanders need around 14cfm however, there is usually an electric power tool equivalent that does as good a job. Get the biggest air tank you can and you will find that you can cope without the compressor constantly cycling.

Here in portsmouth we have another name for The Saints :D , but dont think this is the right forum for that.

Simuk

simuk":2y929wmv said:
Here in portsmouth we have another name for The Saints :D , but dont think this is the right forum for that.

I think the word you're looking for is 'losers'. I realise it's probably not the one you have in mind :twisted:, but I reckon it'll do, won't it?

:)

Gill

Thanks for most of the replies!!

I am actually "The Saint" because of all the work that I do for orphaned children with aids in third world countries, but I don't like to talk about it.

Anyway...

Ike - Thanks, just what I was looking for. I cant seem to find anything that compares to the specs of the axminster compressors for the price. I see that the Axminster Extreme is out of stock, shame. I shall have to keep an eye on that

Neil - Thanks for the links. I think that I am going to go down the compressor route although it is tempting to go 'HVLP'. I thik that the versatility of a compressor is more important to me.

Waterhead37 - I think that I will go down the electric powered sander route, which reminds me that I need to upgrade there too, but thats another thread.

Alf - Thanks for the welcome. Sorry if you have been annoyed by the humming of the theme from the Saint, however you should try being a fan of the Saints.

Lastly, Gill and my Fishy friend from down the road - I appreciate your comments however misguided they may be. :eek:ccasion5:

Cheers

Saint

The Saint":cpjtr8qc said:
Alf - Thanks for the welcome. Sorry if you have been annoyed by the humming of the theme from the Saint,
Not annoyed. Annoying everyone else maybe... :wink:

The Saint":cpjtr8qc said:
however you should try being a fan of the Saints.
Don't worry on that score; Eagles supporter here. :(

Cheers, Alf

Saint wrote:
I see that the Axminster Extreme is out of stock, shame. I shall have to keep an eye on that

The Extreme II is extremely competitive for price/performance. They seem to go go like hot cakes as soon as Axminster get a shipment. They're Italian made BTW. I had to wait for mine too. Although I really wanted the Extreme 4, I did stick within my budget of £300. At the special offer price of £230 (fairly regular offer), I'm very pleased with mine, and the money saved paid for all those extra bits like hose, QR fittings, blowgun, moisture trap etc.

cheers

Ike

Ike - Just out of interest, do you use your compressor for spraying? If so what gun do you use and what are the results like?

I haven't got round to spraying with the new compressor yet. I'm rebuilding my S1 Landrover and have been using it for sawing, nibbling and drilling so far. I have a somewhat vintage Devilbiss spraygun which has done a sterling job in the past. A bit greedy for air but seeing as I'm not a fast professional, I can get a plenty long enough burst from a 50L tank and then wait for recharge while I comtemplate how to deal with dust specks and flies!

Ike

Back