Confused !!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdotflorida

Established Member
Reaction score
Just received my new machines. Jet supersaw, 18" bandsaw and dust extractor. :lol:

The tech specs in the manuals are confusing me. They say Installation fuse protection 16A but all machines are fitted with a standard 3 pin pug and 13A fuses !!!.

Has anyone got these (or similar spec'ed) machines and are using them happily on a standard 30A ring ?

I had thought they would arrive with 16A plugs on, so wired 3 x 16A circuits each with its own MCB in readiness.

Would it be better to chop the plug off and fit 16A types ? :?

All my machines run on 13amp plugs. The only one that blows a fuse now and then is the Electra Bekum PKF255 saw, and that only when the blade is jammed by bits that have dropped down the slot.

John

John,

Time you made a zero clearance insert which will support the timber being cut and stop off-cuts falling down.
T/S, B/S, Jointer etc all run on 13A plugs. No problems other than the odd dimming of lights on start up.

Rgds

Noel

My TS is rated at a 20amp supply, I run it off a 13amp plug no problems.

Adam

My Jet planer requires a 16amp fuse. It was supplied with what looked like a continental plug (but what do I know!). I easily found an adaptor to plug it into the socket which is protected by an RCD. The 13amp fuse in the adaptor blows ever time, so I wrapped 16amp fuse wire around the terminals in the adaptor in place of its 13amp fuse.
This is probably dangerous (I've no idea - it works fine) so hopefully others will advise whether you could just do this like me.
My TS and dust extractor both blow 13amp fuses so I had these hardwired - never any problems. Maybe you could do this instead?

Aragorn":28vgd05h said:
This is probably dangerous (I've no idea - it works fine)

I think, err, you may have hit the nail on the head there. I measured the currrent consumption both running and at switch on, before I decided to use a conventional plug. The "continental" plug, is actually probably not continental, but a special high-current plug. Was it like this:

TLPT15.JPG

Thats a 15 amp 3 pin pug, as opposed to the square types which are only 13amp?

Hi Aragorn

The jointer that you have requires a 16A connection.

The supersaw just makes it into a 13A connection, however the 16A is recommended.

My personal advice fwiw would be to switch off the equipment immediately and call an electrician. I should qualify this by saying that I know nothing about electricity.

Cheers
Neil

Hmmmm.......
I was expecting a firm slap on the wrist!

Adam, that's not the socket, but thanks for taking the trouble. It's a two pin socket, each pin a good inch long and around 4 or 5 mm thick. My local hardware store sold me a standard travel adaptor that it happily fits into.
So is what I'm doing very dangerous? Should I be getting an electrician along tomorrow?

Adam, Aragorn,

This is the plug that comes with most Jet equipment

The plug is the normal French/Spanish/Swiss etc item as the Jets are mostly shipped via the Jet parent company WMH in Switzerland.
The plug has 10-16 printed on it and I assume this to be the amp range. The adaptor is only 13A and all works well.
Aragorn, hope your dealer didn't charge you for the adaptor.....

Rgds

Noel

If you canny see the images, do a URL

28859254.IMG_0005Plug.jpg

28859263.IMG_0006Adaptor.jpg

Noely":3j2wwqkp said:
John,

Time you made a zero clearance insert which will support the timber being cut and stop off-cuts falling down.

Not possible on the EB PKF255 I'm afraid, due to the sliding table which comes right up to the side of the blade

John

Noely":1xlq2coy said:
If you canny see the images, do a URL
Urgh. What is it with youse guys and images?! Even having put the code right they still don't want to show. :roll: I can only point out that this never touch-wood-where's-my-four-leaf-clover? happens with Uploadit... (Hint hint (hammer) )

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

I would quite happily use uploadit but can't reduce image size to suit their file size limit without using software I don't have. So I'll send the images to you and you can post them, please.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks Chris,

Looks interesting although I noticed in the "what is" section -"easy to use for beginners" etc, put me off a bit...........
Thanks, again

Rgds

Noel

Thanks guys

Once again a plethora of information. :D

My understanding then is that my machines will probably be ok on a normal ring but it would do no harm to plug each of them in to their own 16A MCB protected supply being as I've already installed them. :)

Yep - sorry Mdotflorida - kinda hijacked you thread there!
Sounds like what you've written is going to be fine.

Noely":an5r2cu6 said:
I would quite happily use uploadit but can't reduce image size to suit their file size limit without using software I don't have. So I'll send the images to you and you can post them, please.
Okay, now I'm confused. I just uploaded the images as you sent them and there was no trouble at all :? Where does it give the file size limit, 'cos I couldn't find it? Anyway, here they are to prove it (I hope...):

prenwyth-IMG_0005Plug.jpg

prenwyth-IMG_0006Adaptor.jpg

But not for long 'cos I don't have a paid account and I've got some Porch related stuff that I'll be getting round to posting soon, and I'll probably need the space.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Sorry MDF, just having a private conflab in your thread :oops:

Alf,

That's because I mailed them to you and OE gives you the option to reduce. Will try Chris's suggestion.

Rgds

Noel

PS Is your Porch a 911 or a Boxster?

Ah ha! In that case, you could mail them to yourself! :idea: :D

Cheers, Alf

P.S. It's a galoot special, designed for drive-bys :wink:

Latest posts

Back