Confession. I have a Parkside problem!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll need a room too. Got totally carried away and bought TWO packs of ‘fruit gums’!!

At the next meeting we'll all want to hear a thorough review of that sander and the bandsaw!

Parkside sanders tend not to have a good reputation. Interested to see if that's changed.

I had one of the earliest cheapo bandsaws, ten years ago (the one's with the old fashioned curvy body shell) and it was rubbish! I could never get it tuned up and none of the nuts stayed tight once tightened. I got a long wavy cut every time. I dismantled it in the end, and used bits for other things.

So, I'm also interested to see if better technology and materials have, over the last ten years, "rolled down hill" (usually only one thing in life rolls down hill, and it ain't money :poop:).

At the next meeting we'll all want to hear a thorough review of that sander and the bandsaw!

Parkside sanders tend not to have a good reputation. Interested to see if that's changed.

I had one of the earliest cheapo bandsaws, ten years ago (the one's with the old fashioned curvy body shell) and it was rubbish! I could never get it tuned up and none of the nuts stayed tight once tightened. I got a long wavy cut every time. I dismantled it in the end, and used bits for other things.

So, I'm also interested to see if better technology and materials have, over the last ten years, "rolled down hill" (usually only one thing in life rolls down hill, and it ain't money :poop:).
Bandsaw first:
I don’t know how useful this will be as I’ve never owned or used a bandsaw before in my life, but here goes:
The bad
1. It’s flimsy. I’m glad it comes with a 3 year warranty because I’m pretty sure I’ll end up snapping something off eventually.
2. It’s hard to set up because of point 1. I have 0 points of comparison, but adjusting the guide bearings causes the guide pins to shift and the whole thing is hard to gauge cos you can’t really see the blade from most angles. I didn’t manage to improve on the factory settings much, but I’m confident I can do it better, with practice.
3. The fence is awful (see point 1). Really hard to get straight and tight to the table, but it kind of works in the end.
The good
1. It comes pretty much ready to go. I had a good play with it, but I could theoretically have tensioned it up and started cutting straight away.
2. The blade is lovely. I mean I haven’t got a clue what it’s supposed to be like, but a) the cut is super smooth and fine b) only looks burnt in places where I was ‘trying something out’ and c) it didn’t snap -despite being twisted around by an enthusiastic amateur. As you can tell I struggled a bit on circles.. but that’s probably me. Or the wrong blade..?
3. The dust collection is quite good. It’s not really needed as the cut is so fine, but it sucks dust downwards effectively and is easy to connect to a normal vacuum.
4. It’s nice and quiet. So much so that i was reluctant to turn on my vacuum until in-between cuts cos it’s SO loud by comparison.
5. I made some really neat straight cuts with very little (0.4mm) variation over a 40cm cut. That was on my first attempt with any bandsaw ever. So I’m impressed.
6. It’s nice and light. I carried it indoors to the warm so I could have a good play around then back out to the shed again. So I’m not worried about space - it can be shifted easily.
I’m really chuffed with it. I’ve got an actual functioning bandsaw for less than £100. I’ve got a project on right now that is ready for it - just need to practice/fiddle a bit more.
Happy days!

@Shane1978: You sound just like I was a few years back mate (only I bought a really cheapo - and NOT very good really - Einhell band saw).

Two things really helped me with getting the best out of it:

1. A set of Band Saw DVDs from Steve Maskery of this parish ("Workshop Essentials", easy to find by searching here). I know that there's free stuff on the Internet about setting up band saws, but believe me, Steve's DVDs are overall MUCH better than what I found on the net and I still consider those DVDs (3 I think it was) one of the best few quid I've ever spent on the hobby (usual disclaimers);
AND;
2. A few blades to suit that machine from "Tuff Saws" (Ian John, also of this parish and also easy to find). He has all grades, types and sizes available (made to order) prices are reasonable, delivery very quick, and he's VERY helpful with his advice and guidance, especially for newbies. Again "usual disclaimers".

HTH

Bandsaw first:
I don’t know how useful this will be as I’ve never owned or used a bandsaw before in my life, but here goes:
The bad
1. It’s flimsy. I’m glad it comes with a 3 year warranty because I’m pretty sure I’ll end up snapping something off eventually.
2. It’s hard to set up because of point 1. I have 0 points of comparison, but adjusting the guide bearings causes the guide pins to shift and the whole thing is hard to gauge cos you can’t really see the blade from most angles. I didn’t manage to improve on the factory settings much, but I’m confident I can do it better, with practice.
3. The fence is awful (see point 1). Really hard to get straight and tight to the table, but it kind of works in the end.
The good
1. It comes pretty much ready to go. I had a good play with it, but I could theoretically have tensioned it up and started cutting straight away.
2. The blade is lovely. I mean I haven’t got a clue what it’s supposed to be like, but a) the cut is super smooth and fine b) only looks burnt in places where I was ‘trying something out’ and c) it didn’t snap -despite being twisted around by an enthusiastic amateur. As you can tell I struggled a bit on circles.. but that’s probably me. Or the wrong blade..?
3. The dust collection is quite good. It’s not really needed as the cut is so fine, but it sucks dust downwards effectively and is easy to connect to a normal vacuum.
4. It’s nice and quiet. So much so that i was reluctant to turn on my vacuum until in-between cuts cos it’s SO loud by comparison.
5. I made some really neat straight cuts with very little (0.4mm) variation over a 40cm cut. That was on my first attempt with any bandsaw ever. So I’m impressed.
6. It’s nice and light. I carried it indoors to the warm so I could have a good play around then back out to the shed again. So I’m not worried about space - it can be shifted easily.
I’m really chuffed with it. I’ve got an actual functioning bandsaw for less than £100. I’ve got a project on right now that is ready for it - just need to practice/fiddle a bit more.
Happy days!

This sounds, for the most part, exactly like the one I bought years ago (the old style ones with the rounded frame) and eventually dismantled, cut up and scavenged for any useful pieces because I could not get it to cut straight! Like yours, the blade on mine was great. Smooth and no splintering, but every single damn cut was a curve! I tightened a nut, and instantly I started cutting, the blade was no longer straight. Or the guide. The tensioner was probably a bit floppy, as well. And it was noisy as hell!

Heads up for Sunday 7th March!
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/c/diy/c1802/w2?ar=16
Anyone know who the original manufacturer of this table saw is? Looks good value at £99.99

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/parkside-table-saw/p40741?ar=16

The way to know is to look at the back of the manual for the tool.
This is the parkside PTK 2000 E3 (I think) and the manual is here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1624548/Parkside-Ptk-2000-E3.html?page=18#manual
at the back it lists the service centre for the tool (best guess is that’s the manufacturer). In this case it’s made by Grizzly.
That fence looks 100% parkside though, so be prepared to change it.

On a separate note I’ve cracked the code for what’s coming up next (mostly):
It’s Czech Republic and Ireland. They have the same plugs as us and always seem to have most of the same stuff as us just before we get it. They had the paint sprayer (that’s being sold all over Europe this month) and the bench grinder last week.

On a separate note I’ve cracked the code for what’s coming up next (mostly):
It’s Czech Republic and Ireland. They have the same plugs as us and always seem to have most of the same stuff as us just before we get it. They had the paint sprayer (that’s being sold all over Europe this month) and the bench grinder last week.

Well done, that man. Very cunning, following the plugs!

Irish Lidl is a bit funny with how they title their categories. DIY is "Tool Time" (with Tim the Toolman Taylor?). Fitness is called "Running Rapidly". Okay...

Irish Lidl is a bit funny with how they title their categories. DIY is "Tool Time" (with Tim the Toolman Taylor?).
off a tangent I know, but the toolman taylor comment reminded me of a youtube video I saw a few days ago, apparently Tim, Al and a fairly well known you tube woodworker, april wilkerson, are making a DIY TV show, very much along the lines of tool time, airing on the history channel apparently (you know it makes sense?)

Last edited:
found a excerpt from an episode, I'd definately watch this, if I had the history channel. maybe it'll make its way onto Dave at some point

found a excerpt from an episode, I'd definately watch this, if I had the history channel. maybe it'll make its way onto Dave at some point

Looks good. I like April Wilkerson. She taught me how to use sketchup. Good to see Tim and Al together too.

That show might be on some of the streaming services as well. Netflix or Amazon.

God, Tim the Toolman! That takes me back. It was daft but it was fun.

Sketchup. I tried learning that from the Wood Working for Mere Mortals guy, but it was hard to follow. I'll have to look up this other channel.

That show might be on some of the streaming services as well. Netflix or Amazon.

God, Tim the Toolman! That takes me back. It was daft but it was fun.

Sketchup. I tried learning that from the Wood Working for Mere Mortals guy, but it was hard to follow. I'll have to look up this other channel.
Looking up April Wilkinson, now that's a double entendre if I ever heard one.

Hello. I'm the founding member of Parkside Tools Anonymous ;) The PTA currently has only one member, me, and to be honest that's probably enough because I think I've got more than enough tools for the next five members, combined!

I've been collecting from the middle aisle for the past three years. I'm poor and have jobs to do, so really it's been a brilliant option to expand my power tool kit beyond the few items I've inherited or come by, second hand. I got a combi drill for £20! And I've hammered it (pun intended, the hammer function is solid) and it's still going strong. My only worry is whether I'm benefiting from some kind of slave labour in a sweat shop in China...

The cordless tools (all 20v) include:
Combi drill
Jig saw
Recip saw
Angle grinder
Pole saw
Jet wash
5 x 2.0 Ah batteries
2 x 4.0 Ah batteries

The jigsaw is also very good, so far. I have not been gentle whilst murdering pallets. It has not missed a beat. The recip saw is light years ahead of the nasty cheap mains one I had on which the safety stopped working. Feels good to hold, as well. A lot of these tools have a good form factor. The angle grinder efficiently destroyed an old greenhouse. The pole saw cut through 6 inches of tree branch about 2 metres above my head, several times, and I did not die. The batteries all have good life.

And the prices are just ridiculous. I couldn't afford half of this, otherwise. Again, slavery? Either that or the power tool industry, at large, are just gouging rip-off merchants who are pocketing 90% profit on every purchase... on balance, slavery is probably more likely :(

Mains power tools:
Track saw
Multi tool
Rotary tool
Router
Detail sander
Hedge trimmer
Mitre saw

Plus assorted collections of bits and other accessories. That adds up to 13 in total, and I have a nagging feeling I've forgotten something!

The rotary tool is cool and comes with good accessories. Track saw and multi tool are still being broken in. The hedge trimmer is waiting for Spring. (No, not a spring, the season, when hedges start growing again!) The router has only been played with so far, but I will be using it to make the veranda project look pretty, because all of that will be on full display. No hiding the crimes on that one!

The sander, however, is naff. I have a silverline detail sander which is just better. I think this is common with Parkside branded tools - the sanders are just bad. Other people have told me they think the same. I looked at the belt sander in the shop with a view to mounting it on a bench, but just didn't like the look of it. Looked like a cheap plastic toy. Fragile. Obviously, a lot of these tools come from different manufacturers, so maybe the sander builder is not as good as the drill builder?

And while the 12v drill was tempting, because it might fit into places the big 20v one will not, I generally don't like the look of the 12v tool range. If I was a model maker, I might think differently, but not for human-scale jobs.

Only one or two of these were bought on impulse. I watched the newsletter for what I had decided I wanted, and checked out whatever reviews I could find (not many that are useful) and only got them if I thought I'd use them. The exception to this rule was the cordless jet wash which was impulse, and only because I'd already got a 4.0 Ah battery a few weeks earlier. But I have used it to wash hard to reach places in the garden, like the mouldy back of the shed, and to rinse the car after washing, and blast the grime out from between panels. It's not essential, but convenient.

And the mitre saw... that was impulse, but I had planned to get one for a couple of big garden projects (new shed, veranda for back of house). It was the last one in the shop back in October and, with brexit looming and uncertainty over imports, I wondered if I'd ever seen one for that money, again, so took a punt. Have yet to use it in anger.

Overall, they're all pretty solid, reliable DIY and occassional heavy use tools. When I read about other people slagging off Parkside stuff for breaking after a few minutes, I really do wonder what these guys are getting up to. Either that, or these tools are made in batches in different locations and some parts of Europe routinely get crappy tools from the crappier manufacturers/assemblers, while others, like my local, get better made stuff. It's a mystery. But I can't complain.

Well, I can! I want the impact driver. It's the one glaring hole in the collection (alongside maybe a nail gun for stapling membrane to the new shed frame, when I build it). But the impact driver! So many people have told me to get one. Twice I've tried, and every time I turn up on "impact driver day" they're all gone! Muppets walking out with half a dozen in their trolley, and few hours later you can find dozens of Parkside impact drivers which retail for £25 up on ebay for anything between £45 to £90! What the hell? Do these guys think they're going to become instant millionaires off the back of reselling Lidl tools? Lidl only do all this as a loss leading item anyway, to get more warm bodies into the stores. But seriously, I'm getting annoyed by these impact driver hoarders and their dreams of a quick profit.

Because of this, I'm considering getting an impact driver from another brand, even though that means buying specific batteries for it. The annoying thing is, for the money that would cost for one item, I could probably buy half the tools listed, above!

Anyway, time I passed the talking stick on to someone else. But before I do, I'd like to remind everyone that membership of the PTA is free and open to anyone! Even if you haven't bought a tool, yet, and just drool over the pictures! (y)
Ive just browsed through this thread and are disappointed that the PTA secretary has failed to send out invites to the next meeting or as a minimum provide updates to the forum. Wishing members well and look forward to the next newsletter.

Ive just browsed through this thread and are disappointed that the PTA secretary has failed to send out invites to the next meeting or as a minimum provide updates to the forum. Wishing members well and look forward to the next newsletter.
The secretary has, unfortunately, suffered a significant relapse and has been locked up for his own good until he stops buying green tools. Before this recent intervention, he managed to acquire the cordless multi-tool and, at long last, after nearly two years of trying, the impact driver!

But as with any addict, it takes more and more to hit that high, and even the acquisition of the legendary impact driver, which he defeated many wannabe ebay millionaires to acquire, left him feeling like a fat, drunk businessman staggering out of a strip club at 2am. That is to say, titillated but unsatisfied.

He tried to rekindle that old flame by acquiring some of the 12v range, and while the angle drill proved itself useful, the stapler was a bitter disappointment.

It was when he set his sights on the cordless electric chainsaw that the people around him began to get really worried, imagining an ambulance and a tourniquet in his immediate future...

All mail addressed to the secretary should go via his therapist, until further notice.

Probably doesn't apply to tools and DIY, but SWMBO has noticed that grocery items are not the same price in all stores.

I was amazed by this anyone any idea why?

The secretary has, unfortunately, suffered a significant relapse and has been locked up for his own good until he stops buying green tools. Before this recent intervention, he managed to acquire the cordless multi-tool and, at long last, after nearly two years of trying, the impact driver!

But as with any addict, it takes more and more to hit that high, and even the acquisition of the legendary impact driver, which he defeated many wannabe ebay millionaires to acquire, left him feeling like a fat, drunk businessman staggering out of a strip club at 2am. That is to say, titillated but unsatisfied.

He tried to rekindle that old flame by acquiring some of the 12v range, and while the angle drill proved itself useful, the stapler was a bitter disappointment.

It was when he set his sights on the cordless electric chainsaw that the people around him began to get really worried, imagining an ambulance and a tourniquet in his immediate future...

All mail addressed to the secretary should go via his therapist, until further notice.
That chainsaw is a nice bit of kit - I like mine a lot!

Back