Confession. I have a Parkside problem!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lidl aren't exactly known for gimmicks. Have you not noticed the state of the shops :p

Thinking of buying the Parkside Bandsaw, on offer next week. Has anyone on this forum got one? are they any good?
The Parkside saw looks to be exactly the same item as the Axminster bandsaw and the Perform that Ax used to sell - 1400 blade. I've had a Perform model for about 15 months and I can't fault it - cutting softwood, hardwood, polyprop, perspex with no problem. The fence measurements are bit vague and you need a steel rule to measure to get it parallel etc. I have 2 or 3 blades in varying widths.

BUT I do regret no lashing out more money for a bigger machine - the 250mm or so throat is a bit of a limitation - but that's just me.

Buy one!

Isn't it just a Schepach in primark joggies rather than ron hills

I have had the park side shop vac (I think it’s the same one) and it’s been great. Had it for four years. I’ve a slight concern that the filters I’m using are not the best (I routed some spalted wood and noticed breathing issues that evening). So I completely recommend the shop vac.
HOWEVER I had their nailer and it failed within 10 minutes of use. That was a couple of years ago. So that’s my input.

Thinking of buying the Parkside Bandsaw, on offer next week. Has anyone on this forum got one? are they any good?

Yes. When my local Lidl opened a few months ago, they had it on offer at about £60, so couldn't resist. I'm pretty sure it is a scheppach, but can't find a 350W with the same table size etc elsewhere. I'm going to change the blade but am very impressed for the money.
It's not my first bandsaw, but i'm not an expert and have never used an expensive/professional model.

Yes. When my local Lidl opened a few months ago, they had it on offer at about £60, so couldn't resist. I'm pretty sure it is a scheppach, but can't find a 350W with the same table size etc elsewhere. I'm going to change the blade but am very impressed for the money.
It's not my first bandsaw, but i'm not an expert and have never used an expensive/professional model.
I am no bandsaw expert but for blades the general recommendation on here is to use
Tuff Saws
Unit 17 Sycamore Close
Dyffryn Business Park
When I contacted them they were very helpful, I will soon be placing an order.

I have had the park side shop vac (I think it’s the same one) and it’s been great. Had it for four years. I’ve a slight concern that the filters I’m using are not the best (I routed some spalted wood and noticed breathing issues that evening). So I completely recommend the shop vac.
HOWEVER I had their nailer and it failed within 10 minutes of use. That was a couple of years ago. So that’s my input.

Can it be used for dust extraction on power tools?

I just found this, and I don't think this thread is complete without it! The PTA membership just voted it the PTA Meetings Anthem!

Confession - I went to Lidl to pick up some groceries and saw a single cordless mitre saw looking lonely, so I brought it home. :( Mind you, it's going back tomorrow I think 'cos it's pretty useless. I'll post a separate review...

The average salary in Guangdong province (where the major manufacturing hubs are) is £11k a year. It costs pennies to ship stuff here. Materials are cheap, factories churn stuff out at phenomenal rates meaning huge economies of scale.

I doubt Lidl and Aldi are using the middle aisle as a loss leader. Will people resell them? Of course, that's what businesses do too, Lidl and Aldi could charge more but they're more concerned with turning stock into cash so reduce profit margins to the point where they are probably assured they'll sell out.

They'll come from multiple factories, probably by tender so cheapest wins. You're saving on QC, quality of every component, time taken to make them, packaging. Remember that the value chain means that the slightest increase at the start gets multiplied over and over until it reaches the end consumer.

As other threads on here mention, you are supporting a country with a chronic human rights record, but also one that will likely be the global hegemon in our lifetime.

I have no problem buying Chinese made stuff, but also I'm using a forum that's run by Americans and they think that allowing civilians to walk round with semi-automatic weapons is just cool and are fine with seeing non-whites as second class citizens. Gun down a school full of kids when you're white or detonate an SUV in a city centre? Oh you're mentally ill, a complex individual. Kill someone when you're Muslim? Terrorist.

Pay your money, make your choice.

Well. This thread turned dark quickly.

Confession - I went to Lidl to pick up some groceries and saw a single cordless mitre saw looking lonely, so I brought it home. :( Mind you, it's going back tomorrow I think 'cos it's pretty useless. I'll post a separate review...
We need a support group!

I came across this video. It’s the Lidl France Parkside catalogue for February. I know the french DIY market is a lot more competitive than here in the UK, so Lidl seem to make an appropriate effort.
I’m Impressed by the air compressor/attachments - I can see them being very popular here.
Is that the welding gear everyone goes on about?

I've got the mains powered sliding version and it's ok. I also looked at Aldi's cordless mitre saw at the time, but it was twice the price with a smaller motor.

Just to add to everyone's "interests" here - and who knows, maybe score brownie points with the domestic authorities? You may also care to know that both Aldi and Lidl here (Switzerland) also sell some quite good kitchen implements. Instances:

1. My wife makes jam and often freezes fruit in season until she's ready to do the job. We used to use those re-sealable plastic bags but some years back bought a special vacuum bagging machine (with a good stock of various size bags included). While it's true these bags are only single-use (the re-sealable ones are reusable - theoretically, though it's often a bit of a hassle to clean them before re use) the vacuum pump itself seems very efficient and the bags are not too expensive (much cheaper than re-usables here). Can't remember how much, nor which store, but for someone who freezes a fair bit I'd say well worth it. As ever, not much money;

2. This one definitely Aldi, and the equivalent of about 15 quid if I remember - an electric "griddle" thingy especially for making pancakes. Heats up quickly, easy to clean (Teflon top), and again, not a daily user but much better results than with yer average frying pan (NO fat/butter req);

3. Just bought, definitely Lidl, cost here 22.99 Swiss Francs (about 19 quid) - "hot air-powered" chip pan (does all sorts of other spuds stuff too). Again no fat/oil, and again, very easy to clean, (but I should think bloody useless for drilling holes in the wall)! :)

HTH

Last edited:
One of next week's deals at my local Lidl is the 12v drill. I can't decide if the magnetic bit holder in the spindle is a gimmick or a useful feature (see picture). Anyone got one? Is it any good? What do you use your 12v drill for?
12v drill spindle (339 x 254).jpg

Back