Confession. I have a Parkside problem!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Mafell, some Festool, including the 12v drill - the Lidl 12v is similarly handy, and lighter weight - very handy, (but doubtless of limited life). Funtionally good - cabinet, not carpentry tho. Bought 2 last year in sale @£14 with charger and battery. The 20v drill does need the side handle! power to spare, as also the impact driver, quite impressed at the price. The tracksaw has a tiny bit of slack in the bearings, which probably explains why it's cuts are not as good as the Mafell. All the same, more than good enough for carpentry. On splintery ply double cut, first at 3mm, then full depth. The adventurous can make a further improvement by making the 3mm cut from the far side - ie a climb cut. Just make sure you set the depth to no more than 3mm.... Thought it would do for rough work, but a bit better than that. Supplied track is not much use, you need to go Festool for that.

Just bought the Lidl Parkside "x20V Team" jigsaw along with a battery. Not a bad thing, but not professional level kit at all - too much plastic. Quite good dust extraction, hooked up to my shop vac. Will be cutting some pallet boards to length tomorrow with this, rather than the chop saw. Should make my build a bit more pleasant with less dust flying around. I can also finally give my brother-in-law his ancient B&D rickety jigsaw back.

The impact driver looks the biz, however I noticed that the chuck / collet is the push-to-release type, which I personally find annoying. My Stanley FatMax (DeWalt rebadged) is pull-to-release which I don't struggle with at all.

The 'performance' drill also looks like a solid bit of gear, 2x batteries, charger, assorted bits, all in a big alu box. Pity I'm not in the market for a new drill.

Last edited:
So, you reckon that what you see on the German site is what we'll be getting about a month later? No impact driver visible
I don’t think it’s as smooth as a month. Firstly they have about 10 times more stuff available - between the in-store and the online specials. Secondly I think we’re a bit further down the pecking order. Others have suggested France and Ireland are better indicators. You can’t go wrong checking all 3 for the most ubiquitous items.
germany definitely had the driver last month - the performance one.
france had a long reach drywall sander last month which I have 0 use for, but at the rate I’m going if Lidl did a diy week with nothing but that sander, I’d probably buy it!

I'm going to Lidl this afternoon. I dread to think what I'll come home with but I'll convince myself I need a spiderman onesie to keep me warm in the workshop, a chainsaw, and a My Little Pony lunchbox for storing mismatched screws and bolts.

If it helps at all gents, I live in Switzerland where we also have Lidl (and Aldi).

Sometimes I see a post on UKW along the lines of "Lidl/Aldi have got so-n-so's in stock". Sometimes I've already seen that item in stock here, sometimes I see that item here a "few weeks" after the posts appeared on UKW. FYI, it's hard to pin down "a few weeks", as someone says above, it isn't regular, but at a guess I'd say "a few weeks" could be 2 or a bit less, or it could be up to about 4 weeks.

Another point which may or not help people in UK: We use Swiss Francs here (not Euros) and often I see prices here which are the same number (of Swiss Francs) as the number of £ quoted in UK prices. As one Swiss Franc is ROUGHLY worth about 10% less than a £ that means I seem to be getting a ROUGHLY 10% discount on the price you pay in UK. BUT VAT here is 7.9% as opposed to 20% in UK (??) so that may be the reason for the price difference. Dunno.

Anyway, HTH.

BTW I too find both Parkside and Workzone (i.e. Aldi tools, but not tried their new "Ferex") have in general a very good price/performance ratio for the non-professional user. They aren't the "carp" that several people here have posted in the past - well not IMO anyway, and that 3 year guarantee really does work on the few occasions I've had to use it.

So, not to resucistate a dead thread or anything, but I picked up the Lidl Performance cordless drill and cordless impact driver. Very nice pieces of kit for DIY or a spare for the professional. Very comfortable to grip, the chuck on the drill has a very nice feel to it, and both are sufficiently powerful. As I thought, the 'push-to-open' chuck on the impact driver is already annoying me as I keep not putting the bit in deep enough and it falls out unexpectedly. However, the little inbuild LED knocks the socks off my FatMax impact driver for illuminating the point of contact :) The impact driver also has torque levels.

This week, my local Lidl has the Performance Cordless sliding compound mitre saw, €119. I'm very tempted but I don't need a new mitre saw that much, going to focus on upgrading my hand tools before buying any more power tools.
Then again....No! I can quit!

It's alright for you lot - I'm in lockdown, which means shops have been shut, and supermarkets are forbidden from selling anything other than "supermarket goods". Empty shelves in the centre isles :-(

I havent bought anything green from Lidl since october. I know I said I could give it up any time I wanted, but that was supposed to be on my terms. It's not willpower if they won't let you have it.

Bought the parkside “wet and dry shop vacuum cleaner” last week, only used it twice and impressed so far.
I see they are advertising an electric Brad nailer/stapler for less than £20. Think I will be getting one of them.

please read to the end....
wanted some weather proof emulsion paint....
wife went to our usual store and they said no, cant sell it to you and we have spent loads'a money in there.........
luckily a nice builder guy said to them include it on my account.....
wife paid the builder and he also put it the car for here....nice people here....(not gonna mention the French, our last home)
only tradesmen can buy diy gear.....
need to order tons of type one and sand + plus 1/2 pallet of cement.....
think I'll take a bottle of Scotch to the builders merchant next week to arrange delivery......hahaha...
this is Greece after all......

Mentioned on another thread about Greece and taxes......
there is now bands of VAT/customs and excise men teamed up with the cops to check that you have a proper current receipt for what u are carrying......they need the tax money.....
My closest Greek friend bought a late night snack (chicken wrap + a Coke) in our local town.....
he was stopped by said Stasi and asked for his recpt......They frog marched him back to the resto to check.....
dumb fools, not like u can steal a hot wrap.....
also, on the spot fines for not wearing a mask (€300) and u need a paper for travel in ur car...
ie what time u leave home + address, where u are going and u have only 2 hours of time to do it in....get it wrong another €300 fine....
Cr*p u say.....but on the island of Crete last I saw was only 30 people with Covid admitted to hospital....
Covid is taken very seriously here.....
and yes the Lidil tool n junk isle is closed off at the mo.....need a plasma cutter....dohhhhh....

When the tool isle opens I will place on the forum what is available and dates so those interested can check out what gets to your stores.....but guess were a long way down the list of important countries tho.....
Mind you, when stuff was on sale here u had to be at the store the first day and early to get anything......

please read to the end....
wanted some weather proof emulsion paint....
wife went to our usual store and they said no, cant sell it to you and we have spent loads'a money in there.........
luckily a nice builder guy said to them include it on my account.....
wife paid the builder and he also put it the car for here....nice people here....(not gonna mention the French, our last home)
only tradesmen can buy diy gear.....
need to order tons of type one and sand + plus 1/2 pallet of cement.....
think I'll take a bottle of Scotch to the builders merchant next week to arrange delivery......hahaha...
this is Greece after all......

Mentioned on another thread about Greece and taxes......
there is now bands of VAT/customs and excise men teamed up with the cops to check that you have a proper current receipt for what u are carrying......they need the tax money.....
My closest Greek friend bought a late night snack (chicken wrap + a Coke) in our local town.....
he was stopped by said Stasi and asked for his recpt......They frog marched him back to the resto to check.....
dumb fools, not like u can steal a hot wrap.....
also, on the spot fines for not wearing a mask (€300) and u need a paper for travel in ur car...
ie what time u leave home + address, where u are going and u have only 2 hours of time to do it in....get it wrong another €300 fine....
Cr*p u say.....but on the island of Crete last I saw was only 30 people with Covid admitted to hospital....
Covid is taken very seriously here.....
and yes the Lidil tool n junk isle is closed off at the mo.....need a plasma cutter....dohhhhh....

When the tool isle opens I will place on the forum what is available and dates so those interested can check out what gets to your stores.....but guess were a long way down the list of important countries tho.....
Mind you, when stuff was on sale here u had to be at the store the first day and early to get anything......

Now that's a lockdown!!!

Cheers James

Thinking of buying the Parkside Bandsaw, on offer next week. Has anyone on this forum got one? are they any good?

BTW I too find both Parkside and Workzone (i.e. Aldi tools, but not tried their new "Ferex") have in general a very good price/performance ratio for the non-professional user. They aren't the "carp" that several people here have posted in the past - well not IMO anyway, and that 3 year guarantee really does work on the few occasions I've had to use it.

Careful with the new Ferrex stuff. It doesn't seem to be as good as the Workzone was. The Ferrex batteries, for instance, are only good for 250 cycles.

Good evening, folks. Welcome to the regular meeting of the Parkside Tools Anonymous support group.

Next week Lidl are stocking the Parkside Performance brushless drill.
Parkside Cordless Hammer Drill Set - at Lidl UK
Stay strong, brothers and sisters! Take a moment, if you need to, of silent reflection. Do a breathing exercise if it helps...

So, let me be the first to admit that I am tempted. Very tempted. Never had a brushless drill, before! Is it as good as they say it is?

But is this drill likely to be as good as that? At the price point of £99 you get two batteries plus all this stuff: metal depth stop, utility knife, 3m measuring tape, ratchet screwdriver, screwdriver bit holder, 6 wood drill bits, 6 metal drill bits, 6 masonry drill bits, a bit holder (60mm) and 36 bits.

Once all this is subtracted, the tool itself is probably not much more than £40 or £50 of the total price.

I have the brushed (green) drill already, and have hammered it, and while it isn't dead yet, I do occasionally wonder. So I had already decided to get another one as a spare when they came back. But instead of the green one, we've got this big, black, beautiful, brushless... ahem, is it hot in here?

Anyway, is this likely to provide the same benefits of long life, reliability and extra power that big name brushless tools are famous for? Or is the whole brushless thing just a gimmick at this level?

EDIT
For comparison, just found a brushless Dewalt at Screwfix, discounted to £119.99 from £149.99
DeWalt DCD778D2T-SFGB 18V 2.0Ah Li-Ion XR Brushless Cordless Combi Drill

Last edited:
Back