Confession. I have a Parkside problem!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm cracking up, it really is a secret vice. When everyone else is banging on about Festool and Makita and DeWalt, I hide behind the chair and hum to myself... LOL
We are a mixed bunch here and a mixed range of tools will be better for some than others.

I bought a cheap bench planer from Rutlands, it suits me just fine but it would be chocolate teapot stuff for many others. £85 on a track saw looks positively indulgent compared to Lidl, but cheap junk against Festool. It cuts things though, and in a straight line. It won’t ever be repeatedly used making kitchen units where speed and accuracy are needed with reliability, so it’ll do the job.

haha, great thread.
The Impact driver is literally on par with a £150 tool. It's excellent. I hope you get one soon, and I'm seriously thinking of getting a back-up for mine (I promise to sell it to you if I get a backup before you get your first one).

The track saw, with a bit of fettling, is now excellent and cuts almost as good as my Dewalt track saw. The only persistent problems are the track cams get loose, and dust collection is not very good (wheras the Dewalt is almost dust free when the extractor is hooked up).
EDIT: I adjusted the toe of the blade using the festool guide of having the back toe away from the track by a paper's width, and the cut improved quite a lot.

I have the 20v Angle Grinder and 20v Multitool. Both are, well, below par.

The Angle grinder cuts-out when any sort of load is applied. And the multitool vibrates like crazy compared with my corded version.
Both have a use (the angle grinder has variable speed control, so maybe as a polisher, and the multitool for hard to reach places).

Last edited:
I'm just a starting home diy'er and have grabbed a a number of aldi and lidl tools over the years and been relatively happy with them. They fit the price point where I can just try out a tool and if I like it and time and need exists stretch for a better one sometime in the future.

I don't have any of their cordless kit, so can't really comment on the drills and impact drivers too much, other than that they don't have as high a torque as some of the name brands. I have a worx impact driver which is maybe 60nm, and it felt like it was struggling when I was building a deck, since then I have upgraded to name brand ones that are closer to 200nm and they are fantastic - but cost significantly more.

I dont have a aldi or lidl tracksaw, I instead went for the generic screwfix one which many companies rebadge - I have found i great for the stuff that I do and has greatly increased the quality of my cuts and allowed me to make longer cuts with just the standard blade. Peter Millard has some good youtube videos about the lidl/aldi ones and possibly the screwfix brand ones.

I grabbed a lidl router the other year, not the palm router - a larger one. I don't route much, so my experience is limited but theres a couple things which I quickly discovered I dont like about it - the bit size is 6mm and 8mm - its harder to find the bits i need that arent expensive, you can't fit a 1/4 inch bit in to a 6mm collet. And the plunge mechanism is poor quality making it really hard to accurately set a depth, and it has an annoyingly placed stop mechanism. I gave up on it and grabbed a triton router and one of the knock off makita style routers, both work way better.

The clamps that aldi and lidl do are ok, they suit me well enough, but the smaller ones are a bit flimsey, and i think some of them have textured pads that mark the wood.

Things I recommend:
Lidl occasionally does chisels that have a wood handle - I have found them pretty good, paul sellers recommends them too for the £7 they cost.

Lidl also do japanese pull saws sometimes for £7, big ones and small ones. I have a few of them and really like them and found they cut very nicely.

I get the brad point drill bits and the long screw driver bits too when they come up, and find they are good value for the price.

Lidl do a wet and dry metal shop vac sometimes for about £60, I use that for my dust extraction and it works good. Its not good enough for my thicknesser, but works well on my dewalt site table saw and sanders. The nice thing is that it has a tool power socket on it, meaning that you can plug your tool in to that and when you start the tool it will turn on the vacuum.

They also do a metal 6-way power extension board, I use a couple of them and find them pretty good for the price.

I have the 20v Angle Grinder and 20v Multitool. Both are, well, below par.

I was just about to buy these tomorrow, so timely information and thanks. Any idea about the 20V jigsaw, anyone?

I grabbed a lidl router the other year <snip> the plunge mechanism is poor quality making it really hard to accurately set a depth, and it has an annoyingly placed stop mechanism.

Yes, I recently got one of these off my dad for a bit of simple T&G work, and it drove me nuts. Reverted to using my (Lidl) circular saw and knocked the boards out in double-quick time.

I bought, and swiftly returned, a parkside oscillating multitool, absolute rubbish, the blade wouldn't stay locked in place at all. Got a far more expensive dewalt multitool and couldn't be happier. I will buy parkside, and other lidl tools (can't remember how the hand tools are branded) but I wouldn't put them at the heart of my kit

I grabbed a lidl router the other year, not the palm router - a larger one. I don't route much, so my experience is limited but theres a couple things which I quickly discovered I dont like about it - the bit size is 6mm and 8mm - its harder to find the bits i need that arent expensive, you can't fit a 1/4 inch bit in to a 6mm collet. And the plunge mechanism is poor quality making it really hard to accurately set a depth, and it has an annoyingly placed stop mechanism. I gave up on it and grabbed a triton router and one of the knock off makita style routers, both work way better.
I got the same router and same problems.. but we got to try a router and now I too feel like I can ‘commit’ to a triton and a katsu - when the time comes.

parkside-wise I just can’t help myself. Picked up a ladder yesterday and promptly sold our old one on Facebook marketplace. It had this habit of seeming fine but then when you’re standing right at the top it would ‘reset’ downwards by .5cm - leaving me wobbling around and screaming like a scared child. So that’s gone and the parkside one is fantastic!

I was just about to buy these tomorrow, so timely information and thanks. Any idea about the 20V jigsaw, anyone?

Yes, I recently got one of these off my dad for a bit of simple T&G work, and it drove me nuts. Reverted to using my (Lidl) circular saw and knocked the boards out in double-quick time.
I thought you were UK based? Or have you got a secret Lidl source you’re not sharing?

No, Ireland! Lidl has all the cordless stuff this week, impact driver, combi drill, multi tool, grinder, jigsaw, can't remember what else. All Swiss made 20v stuff, which means Einfell if I recall correctly some previous thread here.

But I'm trying to break my power tool habit. The jigsaw could act as a bandsaw in some applications I'd have, but I don't have a need for a real band saw (or space). I'd likely use it for replacing broken handles on furniture etc.

ive got some green. both dark and lime...:rolleyes:🤪🙄

ive got the multi tool. not a patch on the fein, but i dont use it that much to care. got quite a bit of their hand tool stuff, powerfix profi i think?

and on the other end of the green spectrum. a psc420eb. now that is not quite a 20 quid tool................. (read signature for further info...)

No, Ireland! Lidl has all the cordless stuff this week, impact driver, combi drill, multi tool, grinder, jigsaw, can't remember what else. All Swiss made 20v stuff, which means Einfell if I recall correctly some previous thread here.

But I'm trying to break my power tool habit. The jigsaw could act as a bandsaw in some applications I'd have, but I don't have a need for a real band saw (or space). I'd likely use it for replacing broken handles on furniture etc.
Ive got a corded jigsaw and don’t use it much but when I do it’s the only tool that could’ve done the job.
I’ve been trying to predict what’s coming to a Lidl near me and it seems clear it’ll be 20v stuff. There was a big push on that jigsaw in German Lidl last month, now Ireland. I guess it’s coming my way. They were pushing the sds drill in Germany last month too - now it’s here.

Hello. I'm the founding member of Parkside Tools Anonymous ;) The PTA currently has only one member, me, and to be honest that's probably enough because I think I've got more than enough tools for the next five members, combined!

I've been collecting from the middle aisle for the past three years. I'm poor and have jobs to do, so really it's been a brilliant option to expand my power tool kit beyond the few items I've inherited or come by, second hand. I got a combi drill for £20! And I've hammered it (pun intended, the hammer function is solid) and it's still going strong. My only worry is whether I'm benefiting from some kind of slave labour in a sweat shop in China...

The cordless tools (all 20v) include:
Combi drill
Jig saw
Recip saw
Angle grinder
Pole saw
Jet wash
5 x 2.0 Ah batteries
2 x 4.0 Ah batteries

The jigsaw is also very good, so far. I have not been gentle whilst murdering pallets. It has not missed a beat. The recip saw is light years ahead of the nasty cheap mains one I had on which the safety stopped working. Feels good to hold, as well. A lot of these tools have a good form factor. The angle grinder efficiently destroyed an old greenhouse. The pole saw cut through 6 inches of tree branch about 2 metres above my head, several times, and I did not die. The batteries all have good life.

And the prices are just ridiculous. I couldn't afford half of this, otherwise. Again, slavery? Either that or the power tool industry, at large, are just gouging rip-off merchants who are pocketing 90% profit on every purchase... on balance, slavery is probably more likely :(

Mains power tools:
Track saw
Multi tool
Rotary tool
Router
Detail sander
Hedge trimmer
Mitre saw

Plus assorted collections of bits and other accessories. That adds up to 13 in total, and I have a nagging feeling I've forgotten something!

The rotary tool is cool and comes with good accessories. Track saw and multi tool are still being broken in. The hedge trimmer is waiting for Spring. (No, not a spring, the season, when hedges start growing again!) The router has only been played with so far, but I will be using it to make the veranda project look pretty, because all of that will be on full display. No hiding the crimes on that one!

The sander, however, is naff. I have a silverline detail sander which is just better. I think this is common with Parkside branded tools - the sanders are just bad. Other people have told me they think the same. I looked at the belt sander in the shop with a view to mounting it on a bench, but just didn't like the look of it. Looked like a cheap plastic toy. Fragile. Obviously, a lot of these tools come from different manufacturers, so maybe the sander builder is not as good as the drill builder?

And while the 12v drill was tempting, because it might fit into places the big 20v one will not, I generally don't like the look of the 12v tool range. If I was a model maker, I might think differently, but not for human-scale jobs.

Only one or two of these were bought on impulse. I watched the newsletter for what I had decided I wanted, and checked out whatever reviews I could find (not many that are useful) and only got them if I thought I'd use them. The exception to this rule was the cordless jet wash which was impulse, and only because I'd already got a 4.0 Ah battery a few weeks earlier. But I have used it to wash hard to reach places in the garden, like the mouldy back of the shed, and to rinse the car after washing, and blast the grime out from between panels. It's not essential, but convenient.

And the mitre saw... that was impulse, but I had planned to get one for a couple of big garden projects (new shed, veranda for back of house). It was the last one in the shop back in October and, with brexit looming and uncertainty over imports, I wondered if I'd ever seen one for that money, again, so took a punt. Have yet to use it in anger.

Overall, they're all pretty solid, reliable DIY and occassional heavy use tools. When I read about other people slagging off Parkside stuff for breaking after a few minutes, I really do wonder what these guys are getting up to. Either that, or these tools are made in batches in different locations and some parts of Europe routinely get crappy tools from the crappier manufacturers/assemblers, while others, like my local, get better made stuff. It's a mystery. But I can't complain.

Well, I can! I want the impact driver. It's the one glaring hole in the collection (alongside maybe a nail gun for stapling membrane to the new shed frame, when I build it). But the impact driver! So many people have told me to get one. Twice I've tried, and every time I turn up on "impact driver day" they're all gone! Muppets walking out with half a dozen in their trolley, and few hours later you can find dozens of Parkside impact drivers which retail for £25 up on ebay for anything between £45 to £90! What the hell? Do these guys think they're going to become instant millionaires off the back of reselling Lidl tools? Lidl only do all this as a loss leading item anyway, to get more warm bodies into the stores. But seriously, I'm getting annoyed by these impact driver hoarders and their dreams of a quick profit.

Because of this, I'm considering getting an impact driver from another brand, even though that means buying specific batteries for it. The annoying thing is, for the money that would cost for one item, I could probably buy half the tools listed, above!

Anyway, time I passed the talking stick on to someone else. But before I do, I'd like to remind everyone that membership of the PTA is free and open to anyone! Even if you haven't bought a tool, yet, and just drool over the pictures! (y)
With regard to slavery, Lidl have a policy
https://corporate.lidl.co.uk/content/download/15720/fileupload/MS-statement 2018-19 FINAL.pdf
Being a german company I would imagine it is implemented. Being cynical, Germany cares about its manufacturing industry, allowing German companies to use slave labour abroad to undercut their own industry does not make sense.

I cannot see tools sold by Lidl being any worse than the well known tool manufacturers who manufacture all over the world.

I have numerous festool, dewalt, makita tools in the workshop, probably in excess of 60.
When I started of I bought some rubbish, one of which was a £8.99 router, it sounded like a bag of loose spanners on first start up, 18 years later it still sounds the same and has run all our 2mm shadow gaps since, pound for pound it's probably the best we have owned.

Ive got a corded jigsaw and don’t use it much but when I do it’s the only tool that could’ve done the job.
I’ve been trying to predict what’s coming to a Lidl near me and it seems clear it’ll be 20v stuff. There was a big push on that jigsaw in German Lidl last month, now Ireland. I guess it’s coming my way. They were pushing the sds drill in Germany last month too - now it’s here.

I've found to get an idea of what might be offered by the uk lidl you can look at both lidl ireland and lidl northern ireland - they are about a week ahead of the main uk island. and if you want to see 2-3 weeks ahead look at lidl france. France often has a lot more than what is offered, but you get a sense of when things will be available here.

I got the same router and same problems.. but we got to try a router and now I too feel like I can ‘commit’ to a triton and a katsu - when the time comes.

I'm with you there, its nice cheap way to try a new type of tool beforehand, and if I discover that I need more I then can upgrade in the future if need exists. I am really a beginner to wood working, been one for years. I often don't bother "upgrading" to a fancier one if the aldi or lidl ones are work ok.

parkside-wise I just can’t help myself. Picked up a ladder yesterday and promptly sold our old one on Facebook marketplace. It had this habit of seeming fine but then when you’re standing right at the top it would ‘reset’ downwards by .5cm - leaving me wobbling around and screaming like a scared child. So that’s gone and the parkside one is fantastic!

I'll keep an eye out for one next time then - thanks!

With regard to slavery, Lidl have a policy
https://corporate.lidl.co.uk/content/download/15720/fileupload/MS-statement 2018-19 FINAL.pdf
Being a german company I would imagine it is implemented. Being cynical, Germany cares about its manufacturing industry, allowing German companies to use slave labour abroad to undercut their own industry does not make sense.

On a grim side note a very large, ethical, genuinely-try-to-make-the-world-a-better-place famous previous employer here in the UK discovered that an overseas branch had a number of slaves. Some company we contracted to do work for us was caught bringing in staff from a third country, taking the passports of the workers, locking them away, and paying them pennies. Once discovered, my previous employer, worked hard and fast to fix the problem. It barely made the papers here and wasn't covered up by my ex-employer (I was a board member so was privy so some of the meetings about it all). The lesson I learned from it was: no matter how good a company is, with good policies and the policing of those policies, bad and sad things can still happen.

haha, great thread.
The Impact driver is literally on par with a £150 tool. It's excellent. I hope you get one soon, and I'm seriously thinking of getting a back-up for mine (I promise to sell it to you if I get a backup before you get your first one).

:love: deal (y)

Where did you find the information about what was being sold in Germany? Would be interested if it gave me an idea when to expect the impact driver to come around, again!

The jigsaw has been sound. Cordless has been ideal when I go to pick up pallets, and need to cut one down to fit in the boot. But it's also done good, clean cuts as well. I used it to modify some Ikea furniture (modern houses must have very low skirting boards) and with some caution, it cut the veneer cleanly. I've also used it down the bottom of the garden where it would take three extension leads to reach!

Actually, same goes for the angle grinder. Mine has been fine. I destroyed an old greenhouse with it, and cut up a rusted metal workbench, again both jobs out of reach of mains power. I wouldn't rely on the Parkside discs for anything other than moderate work, though. I exploded one on the workbench, so went and got a known brand to replace it. But it's been as good as the jigsaw, so far.

Lidl Onlineshop - Über 30.000 Produkte online bestellen - Lidl lohnt sich

You can buy online by the look of it though, so maybe not indicative of in-store availability.

That Parkside Performance range looks very similar to Makita kit at first glance.

The Performance range is their brushless stuff, isn't it?

So, you reckon that what you see on the German site is what we'll be getting about a month later? No impact driver visible :(

Prices seem a bit higher than usual, even accounting for the current Euro to Sterling exchange rate. Sign of the times, perhaps.

Buying online, yes, looks like Lidl in Germany operate more like Aldi in that respect, with online purchases possible. Would be nice if they did that, over here. Shame about Aldi. The Workzone stuff looked okay. I have an 18v Workzone drill which I use around the house, and it's small and handy, came with two batteries and a charger and a collection of bits. But the new Ferrex gear is utter rubbish. And, in the context of a thread about cheap tools, that's saying something!

Back