Concrete cut out in shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the sound of a previous suggestion, holesaw through the floor to fit 4 or better 6" plastic pipe, match the pipe to the 4 mounting feet, place lathe over the 4 pipes but raised up say 3" put long studs through the mounting holes with nuts above and below then mix and pour grout into the pipes, few days later remove the raising packing, lower the lathe with the bottom nuts, when as low as possible use an accurate (proper eng level accurate to .0001") level in both directions on the bed, especially accross the bed at both ends of the bed to remove any twist.

I like the sound of a previous suggestion, holesaw through the floor to fit 4 or better 6" plastic pipe, match the pipe to the 4 mounting feet, place lathe over the 4 pipes but raised up say 3" put long studs through the mounting holes with nuts above and below then mix and pour grout into the pipes, few days later remove the raising packing, lower the lathe with the bottom nuts, when as low as possible use an accurate (proper eng level accurate to .0001") level in both directions on the bed, especially accross the bed at both ends of the bed to remove any twist.
Good suggestion, but does rely on the ground bearing pressure under the shed, better to spread the load over as large an area as possible, but any differential movement will be disastrous.

I am not many miles from you but if you think a length of 40mm chipboard flooring @ 2400x600 would help then give me a shout.

Honestly, this is not a large or heavy lathe - so a concrete base is TOTALLY unnecessary.
I did some quite accurate turning on a ML7 and it just sat on a sturdy wooden bench.
Once a lathe gets to around 500 Kg, and it has a decent swing - then think about a serious concrete base.

Back