Concerned with tung oil dry/cure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Reaction score
I have a table that I've finished in pure tung that I have concerns about drying.

I applied the first coat 50/50 with white spirit. 2nd coat with 75/25, 3rd coat with 90/10, and final 4th coat with 100% tung.

I left it 24 hours before each coat, wiping off any excess throughout the day, I also sanded the first few coats with 320 grit before the next layer went on.

Now it has been roughly 48 hours since the last coat went on. There is no more sweating (the tiny beads of oil), but the surface still has an oily sheen when you wipe your fingers over it.

How long can I expect to wait before I can use it? I'm die back at work next wednesday and this is my only computer desk :)

Thanks!

I can’t help you I’m afraid, except that sometimes drying is really affected by climate.
I do so hope you’re not being prophetic when you said I’m die back at work on Wednesday!

I can’t help you I’m afraid, except that sometimes drying is really affected by climate.
I do so hope you’re not being prophetic when you said I’m die back at work on Wednesday!
Ha! One of the problems of being mobile only I guess!

I'm keeping it in a well ventilated, warm room. Will have to see.

I thought the drying time - between coats - was days for pure tung oil and months for it to fully cure?

I thought the drying time - between coats - was days for pure tung oil and months for it to fully cure?
I've read a lot of conflicting info, I assume this is due to people using non pure oil. For pure, I read it was 24hour to dry between each coat and about a week to cure. Based in that, I thought it would feel dry by now, and be internally cured by monday. Maybe I'm confusing terms between dry and cured.

I've read a lot of conflicting info,....
There's a lot of that. This was the first one I found doing a search - how to apply tung oil. You can now get modified tung oils that dry quicker - new to me! I have only used it once and it was too long ago to remember specifics but I do remember the time it took!!

it takes at least 2 months, usually longer to fully cure, and at least a few days say 3-4 days in between coats, and it's much worse in damp environments, that's been my experience with pure tung oil that's not thinned out, it's my favourite oil finish but it really does take an age to dry.

it takes at least 2 months, usually longer to fully cure, and at least a few days say 3-4 days in between coats, and it's much worse in damp environments, that's been my experience with pure tung oil that's not thinned out, it's my favourite oil finish but it really does take an age to dry.
Thanks for the info. When it comes to curing, does it need to be fully cured before the surface sheen doesn't make your hands oily?

Thanks for the info. When it comes to curing, does it need to be fully cured before the surface sheen doesn't make your hands oily?

yes, try waiting a week and see if it's still oily to the touch, if it's indoors it'll speed up the process.

Last edited:
I have a table that I've finished in pure tung that I have concerns about drying.

Most oils don't 'DRY' in the sense that solvents evaporate leaving the solids behind as a surface coating, those of an organic nature that form a hard surface rely on a chemical reaction when exposed to the air to Polymerise, If they have not been heat treated or blended with various 'dryers' to facilitate the process they can take days or weeks for this to take place.

Last edited:
Yes, I'd say weeks too depending on the formulation. Best finish ever though.

I did use some in the USA which dried quite quickly and has lasted very well. I've never found the equivalent here. I think it was maybe boiled, but not sure.

Back