Concealed Cylinder Hinge, Zysa?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking ahead (dangerous) about hinge options for my cabinet and I happened across these from
Woodfit

They seem like a poor man's Soss hinge but I wonder about the necessity of the extra woodscrew used down the side of the cylinder it looks rather ugly.

Does anyone have any experience of these?

Andy

Ive seen them without the offset screw in Boyalls but never used them .

Andy

I just got some of these from Issac Lord and there the same, with the extra screw - I have to admit I assumed that was the way they were, but I think I'll use epoxy or something rather than a screw.

And don't worry about the thinkink ahead bit, you at least have started, all I have is a sketch on the back of an envelope and a selection of different type hinges!

Les

Hi Deedee

They work well in hardwood, alnmost as well in birch plywood, not so well in MDF and don't even think about chipboard! The biggets drawback is that your drilling centres need to be spot-on as the hinges are not adjustable. A drilling jig for both the panel edges and the backs of the doors is essential and the drilling must be square to the surface or they won't work - drilling with a router is ideal. They do look nice and are very unobtrusive in use.

Scrit

I've used them before, they are not the strongest of hinges but then again I shouldn't have been shooting the small door down to size with it still hung on them :oops:

Used them for the drop down dummy draw on this.

Jason

I've used them on my dining table and had no problems with their operation, and they are well-made, but as Scrit says, drilling them spot-on can be a problem. Proper Soss ones are better, as you can fit them in a mortice. I've used both and will always go for Soss in the future. You need a Hafele account, or a friendly kitchen-fitter.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":1xxomiwn said:
You need a Hafele account, or a friendly kitchen-fitter.
Or try Woodfit - they can supply anything in the Hafele catalogue, although they don't list the stuff ontheir web site.

Scrit

Thanks guys, I think I'll give them a try. The Soss ones would undoubtedly be better quality but they are a little expense for my wee cabinet.

Jason/Steve, what type jig did you use to insure the holes were spot on.

Scrit, they are on the woodfit website - see link in my original post

Andy

I had a brad point drill the right size so drilled the two holes in a scrap of 25x25 hardwood on the bench drill then just clamped that to the work as a drill guide.

Jason

dedee":8zverk2m said:
Scrit, they are on the woodfit website - see link in my original post
Andy,the quote was a general one about Hafele stuff - their trade catalogue is several inches thick and their range enormous against the Woodfit in-house range

Scrit

Dedee,
I simply routed the mortice on the board edge by clamping it in the vice and using two fences. They ensure that that the mortise is straight, the router's depth stop ensures that it is the right depth, and by clamping the two boards side by side I was able to give the router more surface area to be stable on, so the mortice was square to the surface. Whe you want to do the other board, relase only one of the fences, keep the other one fixed and use that against the same face of the other board. Alignment guaranteed.
Cheers
Steve

Back