Concealed compartments - designs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I plan to make my eldest granddaughter a jewelry box for her birthday this year (September) as she hits two figures this time. Rather than just go for a regular design I wanted to incorporate a hidden compartment. My concept was to have a drawer in the bottom half and the usual lift-up lid and trays inside etc, but I wanted to put in a false bottom so that there could be a compartment at the back of the drawer - the drawer wouldn't go full depth.

I could do an easy solution with a carefully made removable bottom, but I want to do something a bit more 'exciting' and have it spring loaded with a hidden catch. That sort of thing would appeal to her. Does anyone have any designs that I could take the concept from and adapt? Easier than starting from scratch... Other suggestions for hidden compartments are also welcome.

Thanks.

Can't help with any plans, but I saw Norm do one once where the moulding around the bottom was in fact a hidden drawer. I looked quite good I seem to remember!

Aragorn":3mle8n28 said:
I saw Norm do one once where the moulding around the bottom was in fact a hidden drawer. I looked quite good I seem to remember!

I think I have that on DVD somewhere, let me know if you would like to see it.

Speaking of which, the Norm merchandising empire begins to grow. There will be NYW DVDs available later this year.

Noel

i can think of two lads that must have seen a few,( norman and restorer ) :D

frank":1g5n8tk2 said:
i can think of two lads that must have seen a few,( norman and restorer ) :D

Hi Frank
Yes lots. could show you how !! not sure I could explain in writing as its part of the planing stage.
sorry
Norman

Certainly found a few and some that the owners didn't even know were there (normally empty though) did find one with a picture of a long passed away relative of the clients in, certainly made the bill easier to swallow.
As far as making/designing them, as Norman says difficult to describe, desperately trying to think where i've seen an article with one in a jewelry box that would fit the bill but just can't think of it. (will let you know if it clicks) There most commonly found in bureaus where you've got a bit more room to play with. Best one i saw had 26 secret compartments!

Hi Brian

if you could give us some idea of the style for the box, maybe we could come up with some ideas :idea:
norman

I like the spice box idea on the Wood Central winners page, but it's too large for Zoe (grand-daughter). Something with less drawers. I have made two jewelry boxes in the past -- see the last two items on this page http://www.managementtectonics.com/woodwork/objets.html

I'm thinking of a combination idea - spice box with lift up lid plus cabinet with door in front of a number of drawers. The secret compartment could be accessed under the lid, or at the back of a/some drawers, or (easiest idea perhaps) a removable back panel. The removable back panel would have a hidden release, probably inside the top. It could even be a slide-out design, where the panel drops through a slot in the base on release of a catch (could be hidden underneath).

Trying to figure out how to do it in a small design is what's making it interesting! I have found a couple of designs for fly-apart boxes, and a couple of interesting boxes that have built-in linkages to trap the unwary (all in long past issues of American Woodworker), so I'm feeling I could design something quite interesting. Now all I need is time....

Brian,

there's quite a good description, with pictures, of adding a secret draw to a box in Doug Stowe's Box Making (Taunton: Newtown, 2004), p. 92.

The design incorporates the draw in the box's base, and could thus be a starting point for the more complex secret draw that you're after.

Hope this helps.

JS

Back