Comutator query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Can any one tell me how deep to clear back the insulators around the comutator brush area on my saw motor , should it be below the copper and by how much Thanks in advance

Yes, it should be below. Between a half and one mm maybe. You don't need to actively dig out the insulating medium, just scrape it clear of any accumulated carbon. A glass fibre brush/pencil would be a good tool. I'd probably just use the corner of a screwdriver blade or some such.

Yes, it should be below. Between a half and one mm maybe. You don't need to actively dig out the insulating medium, just scrape it clear of any accumulated carbon. A glass fibre brush/pencil would be a good tool. I'd probably just use the corner of a screwdriver blade or some such.
Thank you i have some small needle files with fine points will give it a go tomorrow will post if sucessful

That should be perfect. A set of jewellers screwdrivers will often include a blade of a suitable width too :)

Here's a pic for reference. This Metabo sander only has a few hours on it so the commutator is barely bedded in. It was only opened up for cleaning. No work required.

20201230_152618.jpg

We always used a 24tpi hacksaw blade with the set ground off the teeth to clean out coms. Just be gentle and only go just below the level of the segments, 0.5mm or so, you can always repeat in the future.

Thanks to every one feel more confident now will tackle tomorrow and post before and after pics ,Im hoping this will be the answer to jerky running speed and chatter

Well didnt get to do com today SWMBO had other ideas for me so will try again tomorrow my workshop is in total disaray from move from Manchester and every job takes twice as long searching for tools ,screws,etc so the day just flies by just need a week to sort it out but keep getting those famed words " can you just do this little job for me " thats the day gone 😩

Back