computer web site problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sunnybob":13y4nup8 said:
Thank you guys for your kind thoughts, but My laptop CD drive hasnt worked for at least 5 years (after the hard drive got eaten by ants :shock: ).
I know opera is connected to chrome but apart from that, I just dont care.
I have always used the windows virus checker defender, I have malware and adaware, and I dont go to places that nice people shouldnt go to :roll: :D

Its only used for internet browsing and emails, and if I can keep it running another couple years I will have had my moneys worth out of it. 8) 8)

Cd drives at my house last about a year - too dusty, I think. (All that Saharan dust storm airborne mud). Suggesting to boot from a usb drive might be a big ask from something as elderly as your laptop. And not forgetting that "we fear change". If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Mind you, not being able to visit Axminster's site constitutes terminal disaster, in my book.

My other half has fortuitously broken the internet banking on the account I use to buy tools. For some reason, she's not enthusiastic to order a new authentication dongle thingie. I may be forced to take action myself, soon.

I know the site isnt down because the missus can access it on her laptop, sitting about 15 foot away from me.

It went again this morning so obviously its an issue between axminster and my safety net.
But I can get round it by going through the old unused chrome shortcut connection.

My laptop has done me proud, considering a lot of folk talk down on HP pavillions. This thing has been on for I dont know, but it could be a million hours over the last 11 years cos its only turned off overnight. It suits my very basic needs, and I shall run it untill it dies peacefully in its sleep. Hopefully its replacement will be running windows 27 :roll: 8) 8)

If all you do is browse the internet from it get a chromebook. Cheaper than a windows machine and Google will auto update it to keep it relatively safe.

I’d be wary of entering any payment details or account passwords into a machine still running vista and connected to the internet.
I’d expect you’ll run into more functional issues too where your browsers start being unsupported by the websites you’re trying to visit.

I cringe at this as much as if you said you were running your table saw unguarded and not using push sticks!

I'm working on the principle that crooks wouldnt expect any one to still be using a system this old :lol: :lol: =D>

Trust me, theres nothing here worth stealing. :roll:

I've now found another website that wont talk to me and half of utube tells me I'm not allowed any more, so the writing is on the wall.
But I'm old fashioned about having a proper keyboard and a big screen to look at.

I suspect 'er indoors is going to go all modern on me this xmas (shes much more into "social media" and rubbish like that than I am, so I'll snaffle her laptop which is running 10, even though I hate the thing.

Progress? pah! who's have it? 8)

I have no memory of using a table saw unguarded and without pushsticks, honest, and I am sticking to that story regardless. :shock:

Back