computer web site problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Could someone please try the axminster web site? For 2 days now i have been unable to access it. I just keep getting a message
"this site unexpectedly closed the connection"

I dont think its personal, I havent upset anyone there for ages.
If it works for you, any ideas why not for me?

Peter, yes. This happened last week for a day but then righted itself.
I've just accessed the web site from another machine using the same wi fi connection, so its this laptop. I didnt want to delete the internet files because of passwords lost, but I will do that now. Just dont understand why one site is blocking one computer.

That didnt work.

Even typing axminster into the google search box, by the time I type "axm", the line auto fills but states at the end of the line that the site is not available.

Thats what I get for upsetting Jacob!

Almost certainly no help, but Axminster available from Greece. Which is a miracle on its own.

If anyone finds some emails from me to Steve Maskery, could you forward them please? They seem to have gone astray. I always find emails are like sheep - "leave them alone, and they will come home, wagging their tails behind them"

sunnybob":3rtk7ltt said:
That didnt work.

Even typing axminster into the google search box, by the time I type "axm", the line auto fills but states at the end of the line that the site is not available.

Thats what I get for upsetting Jacob!

Are you running some variety of windoze? Try opening a dos box (command line, however that works these days), and type the following: ping https://www.axminster.co.uk/

If your computer can see the internet, resolve hosts etc, it should send 3 packets, and get 3 packets back. If it doesn't work, you will get an error message.

Axminster's current IP address is 149.86.102.100

Try pasting that in to your browser, and see what it comes up with. I'm thinking it is more likely to be ad -blocking software than anything major.

Also try (from the command line): ping 149.86.102.100

See if you get a reply.

I can solve your problem re emails through this site. youre clicking the wrong box. when you send a pm, do NOT click the email symbol, it dont do nuffink. :roll:
click the almost impossible to see box to the right and send a PM.

Peter, the missus got through on her tablet, but then I got frightened over the price of what I was interested in. :shock:

My 11 year old laptop still running vista has never had this problem with any other site. So unless axminster has decided to ban anything not running 10, I'm at a loss.

Trainee neophyte":vicu8b7l said:

Try pasting that in to your browser, and see what it comes up with. I'm thinking it is more likely to be ad -blocking software than anything major.

See if you get a reply.

Youre talking to a software dunce. I have no idea how to send a ping, and when I copied and pasted your ip[ address I got the same closed notice.
I am running adblocker (its showing 2 blocked as I type this), but have been for years and it has never caused a problem in the past. I can also still access any other site I can think of.

sunnybob":3n1zpyco said:
Trainee neophyte":3n1zpyco said:

See if you get a reply.

Youre talking to a software dunce. I have no idea how to send a ping, and when I copied and pasted your ip[ address I got the same closed notice.
I am running adblocker (its showing 2 blocked as I type this), but have been for years and it has never caused a problem in the past. I can also still access any other site I can think of.

Ok, we're making progress. Your browser doesn't like axminster's address. It's probably not your entire computer, just the web browser that is sulking. Turn off the ad-blocker, and see if it makes a difference. Try a different browser. If it still doesn't work, we need to look further afield - look at any firewall and antivirus software you are running.

I only had chrome for many years. Last year it refused to let me access my hotmail emails. In the end I had to use opera as my browser, purely for that reason.
I've used opera for about a year, with no problems untill this.
I just found the old chrome shortcut and tried to access axminster. It worked!
I came back to opera and tried axminster, and it worked!
I just stopped typing this and tried again in a separate window and it still works.

If I get the problem again I will swap to chrome and back.
I can do many things, but I just cant get into computer software (if I cant see it and touch it, then it doesnt really exist)
Thanks for trying to help.

I dread to think what unsavoury things have found their way on to your computer, given how out of date it is. Why not have a look at this:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.php

You download the cd image, you burn the cd, and then you boot from the cd. Assuming this can be done, you will then run an up-to-date operating system that works "out of the box", and looks pretty much like what you have now. Because you will be running it from the cd it won't affect, or overwrite anything you have now, and you can choose which system rouse just by removing the cd and rebooting. Try it - it can't hurt, and it might even help.

Thank you guys for your kind thoughts, but My laptop CD drive hasnt worked for at least 5 years (after the hard drive got eaten by ants :shock: ).
I know opera is connected to chrome but apart from that, I just dont care.
I have always used the windows virus checker defender, I have malware and adaware, and I dont go to places that nice people shouldnt go to :roll: :D

Its only used for internet browsing and emails, and if I can keep it running another couple years I will have had my moneys worth out of it. 8) 8)

Back