computer virus software advice sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I often think it is about time I switched to broadband and I read the advertising blurb and they quite often mention virus protection included with the setup.

Does this mean that I would not need my own virus software running?
If virus protection is a part of the broadband or land line internet and they mention virus protection why is it necessary to have this separate software?

I'm sure the geeks will be onto this like terriors after rats, but here's my two bytes worth:

You NEVER take advertising blurb about anti-viral magic "provided free with your 50r.m.s. Sprongle" seriously. You ALWAYS need 3rd party viral cleansers. My personal favourites are:

AVG; Spybot; Ad-Aware - RUN AS A PACKAGE: AVG daily, Spybot +Ad-Aware every few days.
NB!!!! These three are FREE!!!!!!!!

That said, Broadband is not as susceptible to 'diallers' and 'Trojans ' as dial-up; since I went the UTVIP* route I've had almost nothing crop up save "tracking cookies" and they're just nuisance value.

Iwould recommend BB for speed (and therefore, reduction of time spent in front of PC = MORE TIME IN WORKSHOP) and flexibility for multiple PC usage.

Hope this helps, Sam

* Noel! This one's a cracker, and if you put your phone on it too, it's cheaper than BT!

I would say Yes, run your own package as well, especially as it will almost certainly be another variety with an alternate stab at keeping up to date with the daily growing virus list.

A bit like having a Fire Station down the road, but an extinguisher in the workshop or kitchen is still a wise precaution in damage prevention.

One thing most broadband setups can provide if you have a Router (one example shown here) rather than just a USB modem is a built in Hardware Firewall which gives you another order of protection from baddies.

FWIW, DW, I took the plunge into broadband just a couple of weeks ago.

It was completely painless and easy to set up. Cos the PC is used by the whole family though, I am concerned that running several free security softwares for various functions (e.g. AVG, Zonealarm Firewall, Spybot and AdAware) separately, although free, there's always the need to manually update them. I don't want to be nannying the others about it so i'd prefer a 'fit and forget' solution.

As I only got a basic USB modem with my package, I know I need a very good software firewall at the least.

I'm free-trialling Zone Alarm Suite at the mo. It appears to work seamlessly in the background and doesn't noticeably slow down anything else. I think I'll going to upgrade for subscription which will enable fully automated updating

As for Norton Internet Security :evil: , even though it was a half-price offer, I was so p****d off. I did manage to get a refund on it though.

I'm astonished how much stuff (just annoying or highly dangerous I don't care) it's fending off every minute!.

The speed was advertised at 2Mb, and it delivers 1.9Mb 95% of the time - absolutely brilliant!

PS, if you do go for it, make sure all your security software is installed and running BEFORE you connect the modem. A friend of mine for whatever reason didn't and the computer lasted just 60 seconds before it was killed dead in it's tracks by a boot sector virus. Fortunately, he's had the tools and knowhow to resurrect it. Still, he thinks it must be close to a record!

cheers,

Ike

DW,
There is no way your ISP can offer virus protection unless they restrict your access to websites. You need your own. You also need a firewall which is a different thing from virus protection although the "suites" (like Norton, ZA, McAfee etc) come with both plus a few other things usually.

I had Norton for several years but it got too bloated and had a habit of getting in the way of lots of stuff I wanted to run. I switched to Zone Alarm and am happy with it. I do run Webroot Spy Sweeper as well plus a couple of other things and unlike a few years ago, they seem to coexist pretty happily.

Definately get virus software of your own installed and a good firewall.

I have just changed after many years from Norton AV. After trying a few I have settled with Kaspersky and so far very pleased with it.

I would recommend Zone alarm and I think Webroot spysweeper is superb too :)

Yep, you need a firewall and a virus checker. I consider how you back up important data as well. On the positive side despite all the extra initial hassle, broadband is great and well worth the upgrade. Makes web-browsing so much smoother and faster.

adam

Urrrrr....doesn't XP have its own firewall? You've got me worried now!

For the record, I too tried Zone Alarm, on a previous 'puter and the damn thing grew an ego and tried to dictate what I had access to. Got booted into touch pretty darn sharpish for that.

Norton is good, but it seemed to be high maintainence, always needing attention or updating. That said, Norton geeks and anti-viral programmers are the fastest in cyber space at trotting out definitions to new viruses and nasties.

Yours, from frosty Belfast, Sam

Thanks all for the back up of virus information, I myself out of interest have the Trend micro PC killin virus program installed at the moment its OK always updating but no tech. support and when renewed on the web site I got charged twice (duplicated). I could not telephone them but sent a letter asking for a refund and they never replied, eventually Barclaycard refunded the whole payment so I have had a free program for a year but will look out for another when it comes up for renewal.

SammieQ, you did get off lightly :)

Yup, XP now has its own firewall - but it's a software version, and that's not as good as a hardware (router) variant.

I run a hardware firewall, with Norton AV set to automatically update sitting on the computer - no problems, and no need to do any manual work to keep it up to date. As mentioned, a key value of Norton is the speed/regularity with which they keep their virus definitions up to date.

I recently changed from Norton to Panda Titanium.

The Panda software automatically updates itself several times a day (not once a week like Norton), and it also found 4 viruses when I installed it that Norton had missed.

Would highly recomnd the Panda AV over Norton.

Taffy

Taffyturner, Norton only once a week!!!!

Trend also updating all day. but might go back to Panda,
are they still in Germany?

SammieQ":3d0u2jgz said:
Urrrrr....doesn't XP have its own firewall? You've got me worried now!

For the record, I too tried Zone Alarm, on a previous 'puter and the damn thing grew an ego and tried to dictate what I had access to. Got booted into touch pretty darn sharpish for that.

Norton is good, but it seemed to be high maintainence, always needing attention or updating. That said, Norton geeks and anti-viral programmers are the fastest in cyber space at trotting out definitions to new viruses and nasties.

Yours, from frosty Belfast, Sam

XP firewall ..yes, but it only acts oneway and does not police what your computer may be trying to send out. In other words if you get a virus or other nasty on your computer then it could be used as, say, a robotic computer to run the hackers software without you knopwing it.....a decent firewall like ZoneAlarm helps stop this or at least alerts you to the fact.

ZoneAlarm is doing EXACTLY what it is supposed to do...it is asking you permission and all you have to say is Yes (once and once only for each program) OR you can have it perform these tasks automatically based on its own knowledge of what is/is not a valid program.

Norton first? Sometimes. Sometimes not. A very techy friend of mine got a new virus and Norton didn't pick it up. Mind you, other AV programs might also have missed it if it was that new.

Taffy Turner":3lj5ltlj said:
You may also want to check here for an independant review of the main AV programs available.

http://antivirus-software.topchoicereviews.com/

I use bit defender as recommended on this site. A great product, checks for updates serveral time a day and is much less intrusive than other products (I have also tried Norton, Panda and McAfee and find BD much better)

Cheers

Alan

Told you the geeks were out there. Seriously though, I for one am going to review my arrangements in the light of the the useful information, simply imparted on this forum. Thanks fellas. Sam

Back