Computer problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
p111dom":1qi2mth3 said:
Ah have seen the second link from Nev. the issue sounds the same but I don't understand his solution, changing WPA to WEP?

Nothing at all to do with IP addressing since you can browse to the router.

Nor is it anything to do with WPA and WEP as those are exclusive to WiFi and your PC is cabled up.

If anything it is the first link that is identical to your problem but you won't like the recommended solution!

Re PC vs Mac...you have succinctly put what I have been saying in the past namely that if you look at Total Cost of Ownership the marginally higher cost of buying a Mac compared to a comparable PC is far outweighed by your wasted time plus the emotional cost 'have I got a virus'.

There was an article in one of the Mac mags last/this month where they looked at the entire product range and gave an opinion whether you should buy now or wait....factoring in new models expected downline. You could also consider getting a good iMac on the Refurb store. although iMacs are a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

Ah it's an iMac I'd be after. Never/rarely used the laptop which is why my son ended up with it. I hate mouse pads and small screens. I have an iPad and iPhone for mobility.

One of the recent windows updates did something to ethernet connections, caused a few problems with my setup and a few other peoples too. If you can get on the internet and you have re-secured your wifi I wouldn't do anything and just wait for the windows update that will eventually come to fix it.

You are investing a lot of time and effort into something that isn't to much of a problem, and like others have said you have a few different issues, the unknown websites and the inability to connect to your router are separate things. Don't be so quick to think its your neighbours, when I visit peoples houses my phone or tablet will often try to connect to other peoples wifi and if you are using one of the default passwords or have an unsecured connection this could be the person that is borrowing your connection.

I enjoyed your other youtube videos related to workshops!

Back