Computer memory

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I fancy trying video editing but will need to increase the RAM in my computer.
Is it possible to add say a 512mb module to a 256mb or must they be of the some capacity. I hope some of our experts can help.

depends on PC. If it is fairly modern (3-4 years max.) then you should be able to fit the extra 512MB next to your 256 without problem. Make sure it it is the same type of memory and the same speed, eg DDR2700 etc.

The spec will be in your motherboard's handbook. If you have no info, then contact manufaturer or take your RAM out and go to PC world or similar place and ask for same type/speed

With just a simple memeory upgrade, there will be no need to phone MS or re-activate the PC.

Re-activation is only needed when a major or several minor upgrades are made at same time

Thanks a lot for your quick replies.I have determined the speed /type etc but didn't know if a different MB would work.

Only other point is do you have spare memory slots? In the past, computer manufacturers would fill their slots with lower capacity memory...which meant that when you wanted to upgrade you ended up chucking away what you already had...since you'd no free slots left.

Buy as much memory as you can. The more the better!

Roger

My previous post mentioned having to contact MS this is from personal experience i added i stick of 512m to existing 256m. On 2nd start up it was contact ms by phone (not by the net), i am running XP Home.
Its no big deal just to let you know.
What do you mean by MB :-mother board,memory bank ,i was told to fit the larger stick in to the first slot also there is loads of info if you dig a bit on the crucial site and it comes with instructions.

I done this three weeks ago just go to the crucial website and allow them to do a scan and it will tell you what you require and if you have a vacant slot .

I also ordered off them at a very reasonable price with free delivery
and what a diffrence it made. :p

Hijacking this thread could I pick your brains please.

I have got a Time computer (just gone into administration). The systems has a reload disk and no windows CD(XP).
If I rip out the harddrive (cannot format the existing harddrive because there is a section with secret password holding XP etc.) can I insert new harddrive and then load a new Windows XP?
Or have I got to hold my breath and dump the whole gear when things go bellyup.

AMD2600
160 gb harddrive
1gb ram mem.
256 graphics.
at the moment.

devonwoody

why would you want to rip out your 160gB drive? Not big enough or has it gone faulty.

If the former then why not install an additional drive as a slave (inside your machine...v straightforward to do..most computers have the room, the mounting points and cables already in situ) OR buy a standalone external drive and connect by USB/USB2 or firewire?

If the latter then I'm not too sure what your options are. I have always stayed away from systems with 'reload' disks.

Roger

Roger my problem is that I cannot partition the harddrive because the way windows has been installed (in its on partition and password required to enter that partition. An engineer tried on my last time computer and gave up)

Thats why I wonder if I ditch the hard drive sometime in the future can I then put in a new drive and purchase my own windows XP?

Would the computer become a maiden again? :)

Devonwoody...yes you can. But you don't need to ditch your drive (unless you need the data there) ..just buy a copy of XP (Home version should be fine)...then boot from the XP CD and of you go.

It's exactly what I did with an HP Pavilion. I needed a cheap PC and bought this as an end-of-line model from HP (via eBay). I didn't want their software, just a barebones machine and so intended to reload with XP Pro. I made a DVD copy of their software (they only let you make one copy :evil: ) and then went ahead and loaded my copy of XP Pro...no problems at all.

The only problem I had was that the DVD copy I had made was pants..so that's another TUIT...getting a replacement from HP..so I can then sell the machine 'as it was'

devonwoody":1r2tnjmi said:
Roger my problem is that I cannot partition the harddrive because the way windows has been installed (in its on partition and password required to enter that partition. An engineer tried on my last time computer and gave up)

Thats why I wonder if I ditch the hard drive sometime in the future can I then put in a new drive and purchase my own windows XP?

Would the computer become a maiden again? :)

DWE

You can easily partition the drive in to several logical drives (D:, E:, F:...without damaging the operating system or re-installing it.
You need a third party disk management tool such as Partition Magic. These allow dynamic sizing of partitions and you can create as many as you like in any free space you have

The last time I tried partitioning on a previous computer the reload disk couldn't find its partition and the computer had to go back to Time, (some years ago)

Thats why I though I would need a new harddrive to get over that problem and a new operating system at the same time.

When the computer is switched on it doesn't know where to go?

I have found that Partition Magic sometimes does not recognise certain partitions created with other software. Acronis Disk Director does a better job IMHO. There is also the Linux partitioning software that comes on the Knoppix live distro and that works well too - it's free to boot!

Over the years I've found that the best philosophy is KISS.

There is no way of knowing what a manufacturer has done to the BIOS or operating system and so I always prefer a clean build. That way, you've only got yourself to blame when it goes belly-up :wink:

Roger

Back