computer hissy fit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Help please. This morning my vista laptop will not remember passwords or logins. NONE of them. Even logging in and ticking all the remember passwords boxes, all I have to do is shut the internet and then when I reopen they are all gone again. (hammer)

I just might use a marples to open this laptop up if it isnt fixed soon. :twisted:

I've no idea what's causing it, but I'm pretty sure you need too upgrade from Vista ASAP. It was always a bit poop and I don't think it's supported now. Sorry mate, just the messenger

I obviously don't know what's wrong with your (now dangerously out-of-date) computer, but from what you describe, your passwords have been harvested and your machine has been enrolled to mine bitcoin and/or form part of an attack on other computers. Time for new passwords (from a different, trusted, machine) and a new computer if I were you.

I've owned this laptop for 12 years, I've been told how carp vista is for 12 years.
actually, I do know that, I was OK with 3.5, very happy with 95, reasonably happy with 98, and even managed XP for several years. But what about, 7, 8, 8.1, and finally the all encompassing abortion that is 10? Yes, there are more, but I have actually owned all of those.

I think the small battery inside the machine might have died. This laptop is showing its age to the extent that occasionally I find a small machine screw laying underneath it. The CD drive hasnt worked for several years and I've just tried a memory test and it overheated and died half way through. But its back again =D>

If I cant get it fixed VERY SOON, I might accede defeat, but that means I will have to use the win 10 laptop that nobody else wants to use. :roll: :roll:

Woody2Shoes":36t236ij said:
I obviously don't know what's wrong with your (now dangerously out-of-date) computer, but from what you describe, your passwords have been harvested and your machine has been enrolled to mine bitcoin and/or form part of an attack on other computers. Time for new passwords (from a different, trusted, machine) and a new computer if I were you.
I have checked the cpu usage a few times this morning, activity is only what I am causing, but yes, this may be the final days of this machine. It stands me in nothing for the tens of thousands of hours its been running.
I've just got to get all the pictures off of it now. :roll: :roll:

John15":3h7q4fhr said:
Is it not a little risky to have all your passwords saved?

John

Depends how you do it, but yes there's always an inherent risk, e.g. even using a password manager requires a master password that could get cracked.

sunnybob":1kcbqbl0 said:
Woody2Shoes":1kcbqbl0 said:
I have checked the cpu usage a few times this morning, activity is only what I am causing, but yes, this may be the final days of this machine. It stands me in nothing for the tens of thousands of hours its been running.
I've just got to get all the pictures off of it now. :roll: :roll:

They've successfully modified your Task Manager to hide their activites too (oh, and they've probably indexed all your photos and copied any interesting ones...)! :lol: :twisted: :shock:

Woody2Shoes":15gnmpc2 said:

If the machine is old enough to have come with Vista, it won't be mining many bitcoins :lol:

And it is IMO highly unlikely to be to do with any battery. The browser stores the passwords on disk, the battery only holds some stuff for the BIOS in nvram and keeps the clock ticking. You haven't somehow inadvertently enabled some sort of private browsing mode ?

I had a similar issue but on Win 10 following a regular update. Turned out the user profile was corrupted. There were instructions on how to restore it (editing the registry) and it was easy to sort.

I don't know Vista but have a search for corrupt user profiles.

Mark

Howdy folks, here I am on my barely 6 years old laptop using wonderful win 10.

Umm, can you give me a couple minutes while the next window loads?

OK, I'm back.... ahhh, any minute now........yup, I should be fine for a couple minutes before the next update arrives... (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

I am sad to announce that whatever the problem is, its only on the vista. :roll:
So I'm going to have to learn patience. never been good at patience. This could be a short lived relationship.

Now I have to hunt for all the USB sticks I havent used in years to get all my pics off the old and onto the new. No, there are no pics that would interest any kind of hacker, unless he's into woodwork or motorcycles.I live a very boring life :lol:
Mike, I've invented a new game; chisel throwing with a laptop as bullseye. The record chisels are more aerodynamic than the marples, although to be fair, that is the sideways bent marples.

make sure your old laptop has a facemask on and is 2m away before you get the new one out, you can't be to careful. :D

If your laptop is overheating on the memory test the vents and cooling fins may well be bunged up, that's the technical term for it. It would not cause the problem you have directly but may have caused a glitch which has corrupted something else. Once you have copied your photos and stuff off it try taking it to pieces to clean internally or blow some compressed air gently through the vents. Of course it may have just given up the ghost through age, lap tops tend not to be the most long lived computers.

I have no regrets. It had a long life. In 12 years all its cost me is another hard drive that got eaten by ants.
My computer use is minimal, a bit of forums and surfing, and playing cards.
Although i can now attest to the fact this win 10 is SLOWER than my vista. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Back