computer hissy fit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Help! My laptop has locked me out of google. the desktop shortcut that has been there for years doesnt work now. i can only open it if the computer is freshly started and even then I have to right click and open.
Once the screen is there, whatever link I click on the top menu bar works, but then the menu bar disappears and I cannot change sites.
i know that my vista is 11 years old, but it works perfectly in all other respects.

I've also lost adaware and malware from the internet screen.
I have a seperate page using OPERA, but that is now filled with news of google plus closing. I did not even know I had a google plus account.
What can I do to browse the interent again?

Do you mean locked out of Google Chrome?

You could use Opera to download "Firefox", another browser that's fairly decent.

I have zero knowledge of software. I can no longer access the internet through the google shortcut that has worked fine since forever. It appears to be disconnected.

if i open the opera shorcut it works. but all of my favourites and passwords are on google which I cant access. Even here, I have always opened the site on the unread messages page. I cant find that in all the headings at the top of the page.

I shall go read up on firefox.

Time to teach it a lesson it won't forget in a hurry:

psC7vl0.jpg

ARRGGHH, youve used the "S" word. That rubber mallet wouldnt penetrate my laptop without fracturing.

My knowledge may be well out of date since I switched to Linux years ago and am glad I did so.There used to be a method to go back to the configuration of the computer at an earlier point in time.If you seek a restore point and take the computer back to the way it was a week or two ago you may get everything back.

Or stand and shout "I'm buying an Apple computer!" where the computer can clearly hear you.It might frighten the gremlins sufficiently.

worn thumbs":q6awno1g said:
It might frighten the gremlins sufficiently.

That would only apply if it were the"Long Legged" gremlins, if it has the "Short Legged" gremlins he can shout all he wants and it will do no good, due to the fact they are deaf.

Long time no windows but..... does a right click of the mouse on the shortcut bring up a menu that includes 'properties' option? If so select that and tell us what it says.

Phill

"C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
That a right click properites on the round tricolour chrome shortcut.

If I use my normal single left click i get about a second and a half of the washing machine swirl and then it goes back to standby

I have a bad feeling about this so I'm rebuilding all my favourites on opera for the time being.
Can someone copy and paste the page that shows unread messages please?
I use that as my start page but cant find it anywhere in the forum lists.

Chrome recently announced a rather nasty vulnerability that needed fixing. As you’re on Vista I imagine Google hq have said time for that version of chrome to go to the great browser cemetery in the sky.
Either go with another browser, or get yourself a new laptop. I’d recommend the latter especially if you do anything on it that you care about

--Tom--":3lsbygl8 said:
Chrome recently announced a rather nasty vulnerability that needed fixing. As you’re on Vista I imagine Google hq have said time for that version of chrome to go to the great browser cemetery in the sky.
Either go with another browser, or get yourself a new laptop. I’d recommend the latter especially if you do anything on it that you care about
That's a chrome and Win7 issue as far as I know. Maybe It's not exclusive. It's first alert stuff. Update now from all the media attention.

Ps: Bob. Firefox is legit mate. I ran it for years. Millions use it with no issue.

I know my vista is on borrowed time, but i really dont want to spend the money on a new laptop unless I have to. My computer usage is internet browsing and emails. no social media (because I'm not really) no games or char rooms, the only time I turn the sound up is if i want to watch a utube video, so this old thing serves me perfectly (at least it did up to today)

i've had opera on here for several months after google started blocking notifications from a couple of forums. i just tried updating opera to get an adblocker but that failed twice, so i'm going to have to break open the piggy bank tomorrow and see if i can afford to replace this machine.
:roll: :roll:

Bob, Vista is a bit pants but if all you do is a bit of casual browsing and otherwise the machine seems fine, it seems excessive to bin the laptop.

I'd have a go at installing Firefox and see how you get on with that.

Any new machine is likely to have Windows 10, which I'm not really a fan of.

Oscar,
Although i really enjoy USING a computer, theres almost nothing I hate more than DOING things TO a computer. It brings out the berserker in me (hammer) (hammer)

At the moment, I am coping. Each day when I switch on I can access the old google page, and I can copy one of my favourite links, which I can then paste to opera. i cant do anymore than one, the programme immediately shuts down untill the next start up,

It will give me something to do for the next few weeks. :roll:

Instead of accessing one page, why not export the bookmarks to a file, and then import them all into Opera, or whatever....

I do not use windows regularly, so you would need someone else here to provide more details on exactly how.....

Restart your laptop

Right click on your Google Chrome shortcut
Left click on Properties

There is a field called 'Target'

It will have something like this in it:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

Add this to the end with a space at the start:

-incognito

So it looks something like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -incognito
(space between " and -)

Click OK
Click OK to Administrator privileges if requested

Double click the Google Chrome icon.

Does it open in incognito mode?
Does it continue to work?

did that, and it opened, but of course no site recognised me. Then I closed the window and opened it again, but it didnt open. back to a half second whirl but nothing else.

Latest posts

Back