Computer help - unblocking ports please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to configure Outlook to tie up various email addresses that I have. I can get it to work on my laptop no probs but on the desktop I keep getting SMTP and email test message failures. I am using exactly the same info on both progs (and they are the same version of Outlook).

Apparently its to do with the fact that my 110 port on the desktop are already being used for things. I don't know what that means or what to do to fix it. The advice came from the Zen helpdesk and they were unable to help further because its not a Zen related problem which I understand.

The laptop is technically my wife's so I need to be able to use Outlook on my desktop as the main option.

Can someone please explain to me in really simple ways what to do to remedy the situation please.

Thanks

Tim

do you have any firewall or virus software on the PC?

yes. I have zone Alarm and Norton AV. The problem still occurs with them both disabled.

T

Tim

What error messages do you get?

Do you know what other programs are running in the background?

How are you connecting both computers through to Zen?

Roger

My guess is that zone alarm or norton is still the cluprit. Proving this will be difficult. There are software packages out there that will monitor your PC and tell you which applications are using which ports. I have never had the need to use anyhting like this so can not recomend any particular package. However a quick google brought up this this.

Be carefull with freeware tho. Keep the AV software running whilst installing it.

Do you use a router to connect to ADSL? If so, whay are you using Zone Alarm?

What error messages do you get?

unable to connect to pop3 server

Email test message failed - unable to logon to SMTP server

Do you know what other programs are running in the background?
There's a bunch of background processes which don't look wildly different from the laptop processes. But in terms of applications - web browser and outlook

How are you connecting both computers through to Zen?

Through ADSL cable. Laptop by wireless router. PC by direct connection into wall.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks guys

Chris - that maybe the ticket

Wizer - don't know why I'm running ZA as well. I thought I needed to?

Cheers

Tim

a router sould be doing all the port blocking and firewall work. software zone alarms in a home pc situation are pointless if you have a hardware firewall (router).

Do you know what model the router is?

i have that router, a software firewall has never been near my PC

i can't see why you'd need it, so yeh uninstall.

Sorry but disagree with WiZeR since the one benefit of ZA is that it alerts you to rouge programs on your PC trying to transmit stuff out to the rest of the world....but if you're confident that you'll never download a dodgy program/virus/trojan then yup...you could delete it.

Edited for loose technical language :oops:

If you don't use your PC for faxing etc then there is little need to have a modem line connected with an active ADSL connection... Unless you do a lot of faxing I would avoid rogue dial-out issues by simply disconnecting the phone line and only connecting it if/when needed (much nicer than having another app running in the background)

there are much better ways to handle spyware than zone alarm. But if it works for you, then dont change it.

sxlalan":3r23sctj said:
If you don't use your PC for faxing etc then there is little need to have a modem line connected with an active ADSL connection... Unless you do a lot of faxing I would avoid rogue dial-out issues by simply disconnecting the phone line and only connecting it if/when needed (much nicer than having another app running in the background)

Apologies for the misdirection..I meant 'transmit out to the rest of the world' via broadband. Original post edited.

WiZeR..it's not just spyware but many PC's have rogue programs running that are used as 'robot PCs' for Denial of Service attacks, sending spam etc. So ZA does have merit in its use...

but back to Tims problem...what does your wife use to access email? Does she use Outlook? You could also try setting up a new user in your name Tim..have you givedn yourself Admin rights? Might help..

Also I'm a bit confused as you mention port 110 but that is for incoming POP3 stuff (and you make no mention of that giving problems). SMTP is port 25.

fwiw i'm not a fan of Norton either, but you've paid for it and i assume it works well oterwise.

Might be worth removing it temporarily to diagnose your probem.

Roger - look at 'what error messages are you getting?': unable to connect to pop3 server!:wink:

I am admin on both machines - blind leading blind!

I'll try the new user and see what happens. Norton runs out soon and laptop has McAfee - maybe this is the prob. When I disabled Norton earlier it caused all manner of probs - diagnosing yahoo mail page as unsuitable viewing etc!

Cheers

Tim

Tim: Norton is OK, but an absolute swine to remove properly from a machine. If you need to get rid of it, the Symantec site has some scripts and apps to make sure you've got it all 'out of your system'. From personal observation, Norton is a good AV, but it really gets deep into your registry/system files - I think it's partly to do with making sure the subscription service works properly, but it's a PITA to cleanse.

tim":27ggypcv said:
I am trying to configure Outlook to tie up various email addresses that I have. I can get it to work on my laptop no probs but on the desktop I keep getting SMTP and email test message failures. I am using exactly the same info on both progs (and they are the same version of Outlook).

Apparently its to do with the fact that my 110 port on the desktop are already being used for things. I don't know what that means or what to do to fix it. The advice came from the Zen helpdesk and they were unable to help further because its not a Zen related problem which I understand.

Tim

Wot you said! Port 110. Perhaps try Zen again as it seems you're getting conflicting advice.

Am I correct in saying that you can neither get your mail nor send any mail?

Back